Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34356 - 08/19/00 09:21 PM What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
Jaime Offline

I've read the other posts here but what I want to know is how does spanish style differ from other western style, ie U.S.. I've heard they dress up more and don't wear loud t-shirts etc..but anything more detailed? I'm leaving soon and I want to blend in so I don't stick out like a sore thumb. Any ideas?

#34357 - 08/20/00 09:05 AM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Hi Jaime! That's my son's name but I bet you are one of the many young women who took a Spanish male name?? hehehehe. Anyway, check out the other posts and read all about 'blending in,' in this section on packing. Dress how you would if you were going out to dinner with grandma, and you'll be fine. Young people can get away with anything, almost, and feel comfortable. If you really want to blend in, avoid athlectic shoes and raggy jeans.

#34358 - 08/20/00 11:05 AM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Jaime! Yes, read the other postings about blending in this forum. But you want to know how Spaniards dress? First tell us, how old are you? Age does make a difference. If you're an old woman (and I doubt this) you might wear a past-the-knee skirt, white silk blouse, long-sleeved, buttoned to the neck, maybe a necklace, and a short woolen vest-jacket (which matches the skirt of course!! hehehe), and black leather low-heel shoes. Don't forget to have your hair done in a salon and not cut very long, maybe just past the shoulder or just above. This is how my ladyfriend's mother always dresses - she's 75 years old (the mother, not the ladyfriend) - and I swear, you walk outside and everyone of her generation is dressed almost identically, but in different dark colors (i.e., grey, black, dark green, navy blue, etcetera).

Okay folks. Who wants to tackle the next generation down.. Say, the 50-75 year old bracket?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34359 - 08/20/00 12:01 PM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Jaime, if you are young you will look nice with jeans (we love Levi's 501), t-shirts and sneakers by day. For the nights , if you are going to clubs, wear shirts and pants (kakis) and leather shoes. If you are a young girl same thing for the morning and dresses for the night. If you are middle age wear whatever you will be wearing in a normal work day in USA.
But if I were you I will wear whatever you like to wear. Americans dress well most of the time and again I don't see much differences between the way you dress and the way we (Spaniards) dress.

#34360 - 08/20/00 12:02 PM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
Jaime Offline

I'm 24 yrs old and I don't want to look like my grandma. I have Spanish friends here but of course they dress differently because they have new types of clothing available to them. I don't want to look like a slob but I also want to be comfortable. I think I will just bring simple clothing and buy a few things when I get there. Thanks

#34361 - 08/20/00 12:51 PM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
mencey Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Omaha, Nebraska
Jaime, if you are going to buy a "spanish wardrobe" when you get there, you'll have to check out these stores which are VERY popular with the spanish girls..."Massimo Dutti"(they also make a line of men's clothes which I'm particularly fond of) "Zara"(not quite as expensive as massimo Dutti, but very nice) and Mango. Check out those stores and I know you'll fit in...

#34362 - 08/20/00 01:54 PM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
rgf Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York, New York
Jaime, I meant that if you dressed like when going to grandma's you'd be fine. Don't dress LIKE her! MM, you cracked me up w./ your description of every espanyola over 65. You forgot the bata-dress for everyday getting the groceries and stuff. And in summer those low heeled black shoes have an open back with a strap, right?>!?! You forgot the gold cross (or vigen de guadalupe, my fave santa). Jaime, check out the rebajas (sales) at the Corte Ingles. I picked up a fantastic paintsuit in january for about $50 that looks SO SPANISH! here's a funny story. I showed up at a conference in Miami, and when my SPANISH friend came to pick me up for dinner, she had on the same suit in a lighter color!!!! we were twins! but classy en EE.UU!

[This message has been edited by rgf (edited 08-20-2000).]

#34363 - 08/21/00 10:44 PM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
Jaime Offline

Thanks everyone for replying to my question. Just to set the record straight...I am a girl and I am named Jaime because it was the seventies and my very gringa mom had no idea. Nuria..I am confused about the whole sneakers and t-shirt thing. Others posts on here that I've seen said the Spanish don't like to wear t-shirts and sneakers. I'd really like to know because I don't want to pack anything I won't use. I'm not trying to have a Spanish wardrobe or anything but when I travel I don't like to stick out. It lets people know you are a tourist and for many reasons I don't like that. thanks again.

#34364 - 08/22/00 04:19 AM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
elfroggy27 Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX, USA
From my experience, I would lean more towards pants/skirts/capris and leather shoes than jeans and sneakers, and definitely stay away from baggy tshirts and shorts if you don't want to stand out. Tank tops are fine for everyday, just not in cathedrals and such. Spanish women are very stylish and tend to dress up a bit more than Americans, a more tailored look. Most women your age usually have on a simple top and pants (if you really wanted to look Spanish, you would wear your pants a size smaller than normal - they wear them tight!) or skirt, sundresses are good, too. Definitely check out the stores mentioned earlier (Zara, Mango, etc), they are all over the place and it seems like every store in Spain is having rebajas right now, so you can find some great deals! Have fun!

#34365 - 08/22/00 09:04 AM Re: What kind of clothes do Spaniards wear
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Jaime,
Well, I have some experience about clothing in Spain because I am Spaniard and I was living in Spain for 24 years. I am young (25) and while I was living in Spain I was wearing jeans, t-shirts, sneakers... Of course if you go to the disco or a good restaurant or something like that you try to dress nicely but if you are going to go to visit the city by day you should wear comfortable clothes. Shorts are OK, trust me. And people will stare at you but not because of your clothes is because WE LOVE to stare!!
And sorry about getting confuse with the name, we have the same name in Spanish and it is given to boys.
Have fun!
Nuria

[This message has been edited by Nuria (edited 08-22-2000).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments