Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34332 - 09/18/00 05:51 AM Re: Individualism not allowed??
WDJunior Offline

Hey Mlobear!
Did I get you right? Youīre asking if all spaniards dress the same? Well, all I can tell you is that thatīs actually what americans are well known for worldwide. Are there AMERICAN INDIVIDUALS? I mean go to any big city in the world and take a good look at the american tourists walking around:
1) sneakers
2) leviīs or bermudas
3) polo/football/baseball or college-shirt
4) and of course a cap!!
Man, thatīs what I call being an individual and most of all knowing what to wear;-))
Iīm having the feeling, that youīre sort of pissed, cause they didnīt let you in some fancy club, am I right? Yes, there are some clubs in Madrid, where you have to be dressed in a certain way to have the privilege to get in. The same with restaurants: spaniards just donīt go out dining in shorts and wearing a baseball-cap on their head.
I donīt want to be obnoxious, but I really know both sides. Iīve lived in Madrid many many years, I am "half spanish" and have also been to the USA a couple of times and all I can say is that Iīve been to lots of malls and stores from NYC to Florida and all I ever bought was Leviīs 501īs (theyīre much cheaper in the states) and some Fun-shirts (the ones with some funny s**t printed on them).
OK, just thought I should write what I think about how spaniards dress.
Saludos y un abrazo!

#34333 - 09/19/00 08:53 AM Re: Individualism not allowed??
mlobear Offline

Loc: NORWAY
Well WDjunior. You got me wrong. I'm not even american. I come from Norway, and I don't dress in a typical american way. What I'm saying is that anyone should be allowed to dress the way they want. And I asked my question because I got the impression after reading posts here that all spanish dressed the same both young and old. I'm actually in Sevilla now and I see that people offcourse dress the way they want here to. The old people dress the same here as they dress back in Norway. It's all as I thought it would be. No hard feelings everyone. Sevilla seems like a really nice and beautiful city. Now I'll go out and enjoy the nice weather. Talk to you later. Love Bearmlo

------------------

[This message has been edited by mlobear (edited 09-19-2000).]

#34334 - 09/19/00 10:01 AM Re: Individualism not allowed??
WDJunior Offline

Hey mlobear!
I think I owe you an explanation: I thought you were american because most of the crowd visiting MadridMan is. The reason for responding to your post like that is, that when I was still living in Madrid, every now and then I would get a visit from some pals coming from the USA, Hong-Kong, Australia... And it happened more than once, that they came up to me after a night out without me whining: man, that stupid bouncer didnīt let me in the club! All I could say is: look at you, you idiot. Youīre trying to get into one of Madrid hipest clubs wearing a bandana, torn jeans and a Guns & Roses t-shirt?? Look at what people wear who DO GET IN.
What is really funny is that Iīve heard and seen so many tourists complain about the matter of not being able to get into clubs in Spain, although I donīt think itīs different in other countries. I mean, go to a hip club in NYC without knowing the "guys at the door" dressed up like a foreigner and see what happens. You are NOT getting in!!
However, have fun in Sevilla, man.
Hasta pronto!

#34335 - 09/19/00 11:23 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
Jen Offline

Loc: Chicago
I think the real issue here, WD, is that you're hanging out with people who wear Guns N Roses t-shirts! Totally kidding!

#34336 - 09/20/00 11:07 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
Wendy E Offline

Maybe you friend thought if he dressed like Axl Rose, he would have got in, and for free!

#34337 - 09/26/00 04:03 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
mamacita Offline

Loc: Michigan, USA
Hey Jen, the whole mug thing is short for hotter than a mutha f*cka. Sorry 'bout that - I'm from Detroit...

#34338 - 10/05/00 03:45 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
ya te digo...

i am falling apart laughing having read all of these posts!! i especially like mamacita's "camel toe" comment... man this bulleten board is so funny sometimes!!

#34339 - 12/13/00 07:17 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
leuci Offline

Forgive me for bringing up an old topic, but I'm new here and still discovering. I hope it's become clear from my other posts that I love Spain, but I feel compelled to share one unfortunate experience. I realize that I brought it upon myself, and I should have known better. But, here goes.

Years ago I had VERY short hair. My head was not shaved, mind you--no skinhead look for me. Otherwise, however, I was quite conventionally feminine--I even wore flower-print dresses--and at the time I was young and pretty enough to pull off the look. Until I got to Spain, that is, and went through three weeks of hell.

Looking back, I can see that it was naive to have expected otherwise, but I'd been to Spain before and had a great time and really hadn't thought about it all that much. I'll admit, it's not as if I didn't get the occasional insult in the U.S., but I also got compliments and never did I experience anything like what I endured in Spain.

It wasn't so bad in Madrid, though of course I got the staring and a few unpleasant remarks. But when I got to the smaller cities, it was a total nightmare. Even sweet-looking senior citizens saw fit to berate me publicly.

I was reminded of this on a long-distance bus ride in Castilla y Leon a few weeks ago. There was a young woman with pink hair, thrift-shop clothes, black leather jacket, etc. When I first saw her through the window, I'd assumed she was a foreign tourist, and I cringed at imagining the hell she'd set herself up for. But when she boarded and I heard her talk, I realized that she was actually Spanish. She was soft-spoken and polite with the driver, and she was pretty. Nonetheless, a few of the other Spaniards on the bus muttered insults at her and openly mocked her.

Again, please let me emphasize that I love Spain and its people. I am not being gratuitously negative here. But I do wish to point out that the quality of one's experience can vary greatly based on one's appearance. I've since become pretty savvy about travel, and I always make an effort to blend in, wherever I go. For me, it's worth it.

[This message has been edited by leuci (edited 12-13-2000).]

#34340 - 12/13/00 07:33 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
Nicole Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Los Angeles
That is HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of my girl friends in Spain had short hair, she was a Spaniard, but she never told me about anyone making fun of her.

I have cut my hair really short (and dyed it red) since I lived in Spain, when I had long blond hair. I actually cut in France, because there were so many cute, short styles there on young and old women.

MAkes me nervous about going back to Spain, because I am not likely to take being harrassed like that very kindly.

#34341 - 12/13/00 07:47 PM Re: Individualism not allowed??
leuci Offline

Please don't freak! I doubt it would be a problem in major cities or places with large student populations, like Salamanca. From what I've read, you've got the aplomb to pull it off--and that's really important! And it's something I sure didn't have back then, at least not in Spain.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments