Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34247 - 07/03/00 12:39 PM ATM card
WOM Offline

Loc: Ann Arbor, MI USA
Hola. We'll be heading to Madrid in August for a few days of R&R. Does anybody know if there's an ATM at the airport where we can grab a few pesetas for the taxi ride into town and other immediate needs?

Gracias.

------------------
WOM

#34248 - 07/03/00 02:51 PM Re: ATM card
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Yes, actually, there are more than one. The problem, however, is that they sometimes run out of cash. This happened to me last summer, and while I was at one of the machines I spoke to an airline employee who was complaining about how often this happens. Luckily, I was met at the airport by a friend and was able to get to a machine elsewhere later on. I know the exhange rate and the fees are not great at US airports (I'm assuming you're in the US), but you may want to exchange some money before flying to Spain, just to be on the safe side. Then do all the rest of your exchanges at ATM machines in Spain. They're all over the place, and work great.

Have a great time!

#34249 - 07/03/00 04:29 PM Re: ATM card
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I also think it's important to note that your ATM card MUST have either the CIRRUS symbol or... Oh.... what's the other accepted symbol/system?? Darnit. The other might be PLUS (??).

Saludos, MadridMan

[This message has been edited by MadridMan (edited 07-03-2000).]

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34250 - 07/03/00 05:31 PM Re: ATM card
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Maestro! Madrid Man I'm sure you've looked that up yourself by now. Cirrus and Maestro are the symbols needed on an ATM card.

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

#34251 - 07/03/00 07:10 PM Re: ATM card
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Hehehehe... Thanks, Jo-Anne! I'm sure I COULD have found that it was Maestro (sure! sure!), but I was at work when I wrote the above. Thanks for clearing that up! Cirrus and Maestro!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34252 - 07/03/00 07:26 PM Re: ATM card
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
MM, you were also right about the PLUS. That's what I have, and I could get money from ATMs all over Spain with it.

¡Hasta luego!

#34253 - 07/03/00 07:33 PM Re: ATM card
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

AHA!!!!! Thanks, Diana! Hehehee.. So MadridMan isn't so crazy afterall. Hehehehe.

Saludos, MadridMan

#34254 - 07/04/00 05:38 AM Re: ATM card
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
There are few ATM's in the vicinity of the old International Arrivals hall, Terminal #1 where most passengers on flights from U.S. arrive: (more 'Cambio's where commissions can really be high percentage-wise if you just convert a small amount - last I checked one had a ESP 2.000 MINIMUM commission). I told the agent that I would come out ahead by just throwing my foreign banknotes away (I wound up spending them in the Duty Free). If you have time, head for the upper level toward Terminal #2 and you will find several ATM's there.

#34255 - 08/03/00 01:56 PM Re: ATM card
Sean Offline

Loc: Louisville, KY USA
I have never used an ATM card on my trips abroad, but I saw this article and was wondering if this happened to anyone else before in Spain.

A reader kindly offered an update on a previous tip we ran on using
ATMs in foreign countries ("Four-Digit Pins," June 26). I reported
that it is important to have a PIN (personal identification number) of
no more than four digits while traveling because in certain countries
the ATMs will only accept PINs with four or fewer numbers.

The reader had just returned from Rome, Italy, where he had
difficulties using an ATM machine even with a four-number PIN. He went
to a bank to ask for help, and the staff advised him to add a zero
before his PIN, which worked.

Although the differences in the way countries do business in the West
is slowly homogenizing, there are still plenty of little differences
to trip up the average traveler. In this case, it's good to remember
that before you visit another country, you should exchange at least
enough currency to cover yourself immediately upon arrival. That way,
if something unexpected does happen, you won't find yourself in a
pinch.

#34256 - 08/03/00 03:28 PM Re: ATM card
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi Sean,

Last year I went to the UK. I lived there for 6 months to improve my English and I used a lot my ATM card.

Both Spain and the UK (and I guess the whole Europe) use a 4 pin number. Once you insert the card, the ATM will display messages in your own language (according to the country where they card was issued). BTW, the Spanish translation was terrible!.

Mine was a "Visa Electron" which is a debidt card (ie, you can only spend the amount of money you have in your account).

I used my card to pay in shops as well though a few places only took credit cards not debit.

Regards,

Antonio

PS: From my experience at my hostal, Visa CREDIT cards has also very good insurance in case you need medical assistance.

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments