Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#34237 - 06/28/00 05:39 PM Wedding Etiquette
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
My friend's Mother and Father are very lucky to be attending a church wedding in Madrid in September this year. Her Mother is in her 60's and is currently paranoid about what to wear. She has sorted out a dress of some sorts but is now spending a lot of time looking for a hat. Is a hat required do you think? I think her husband would much prefer her to forget the hat idea and just get on and enjoy the wedding!!! I wish it were me that was going!

Also, the hotel they are booked into is Hotel Pio-doce (I think) - anyone have any information on this place?

Thanks Madrid Man for the most wonderful web site in the World, I look forward to reading the messages everday, and I really made use of your site prior to our week in Madrid a month ago now. I just wish we were back there. Keep up the fantastic work.

------------------
Madly in love with Madrid

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 06-28-2000).]

#34238 - 06/29/00 11:04 AM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
How lucky they are to be going to a wedding in Madrid! I love weddings in Spain (especially the accompanying food!)!

Please tell your friend's mother that she would probably be the only woman wearing a hat at the wedding. My own wedding (in Madrid) was fairly international, and no one wore a hat. I've been to several weddings in which I was the only non-Spanish person there, and again, no one wore a hat. I even checked my little home supply of HOLA! magazine, and - no hats! If, however, she decides she really, really wants to wear one, she will probably be considered quite elegant, and elegance is appreciated in Spain.

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with the Hotel Pio XII, but I'm sure someone else who reads this wonderful bulletin board is.

I'm sure they'll have a great time, and hope you can get back there soon, too!

#34239 - 07/11/00 04:00 PM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Hi Diana

Thanks for that very useful info. How fantastic to have been married in Madrid. I only spent a week there in May/June, but the memories will last forever. Madrid has a very special place in my heart.

My friend, can you believe it, has not dared to tell her mother about a hat not being necessary, so let's hope she chooses a nice one and is admired by everyone!!!

I've not managed to find out anything about Hotel Pio XII yet, perhaps I'll post a message on 'Hostals and other Lodgings'.

Thanks again.

#34240 - 07/22/00 09:12 AM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Nuria Offline

Loc: NJ, USA
Hi Jo-anne,
Please, advice your friend NOT to wear a hat. Only the bride's mother is supposed to wear one (and they usually don't do it). I married in Spain and the etiquette was formal dresses, buuuuuuuuut, of course there were one of my cousins wearing jeans, a t-shirt, sunglasses on his head, sneakers and earrings (I guess this is acceptable) but I don't think your mom's friends want to wear this outfit, right?

#34241 - 08/02/00 11:28 AM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Nuria and Diana

Thanks to both of you for your useful tips.

Latest news!!! The hat is not needed now anyway because the wedding is OFF! !!!

I think that my friend's parents have booked their flight anyway and so will still be going to Madrid for a few days, minus the added attraction of attending a wedding.

Perhaps MadridMan would like to borrow the hat? Ha ha!

Thanks again.

Jo-Anne

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jo-Anne (edited 08-02-2000).]

#34242 - 08/04/00 05:37 AM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Having spent all this time looking for and buying a hat, my friends mother is now taking it to Madrid anyway even though she's no longer attending a wedding!!!!!!!!

Perhaps she's going to look the coolest woman around. ???

------------------

#34243 - 08/04/00 06:55 AM Re: Wedding Etiquette
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
WHAT??!!! They called off the wedding?? All because of that darn hat?? Hahhhaa.. (just kidding) What a shame. Sorry to hear that. All that fuss and planning and bright futures thrown out the window. Being curious people, we'd probably like to know what happened, but our proper side of us says that it's none of our business. So did the husband-to-be have TOO much fun during his bachelor party? No no no no.. Don't tell us the reason. I shouldn't make fun. Oh-my-goodness. That woman is STILL taking the hat to Madrid? But the question is: will she have the nerve to wear it *IN* Madrid? I can imagine all the odd-looks at her as she strolls through the Plaza Mayor like the Queen (of England) herself, head held high, waving in "that" manner to the big-eyed onlookers who are sipping their café con leche and spilling it on their laps at the sight. Still, I hope she enjoys Madrid and Spain.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34244 - 08/04/00 02:44 PM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

MadridMan

This is the best laugh I have had in a long time! You're so funny. The same thoughts had been crossing my mind.

If the hat is too tall, will it get spoiled in Museo del Jamon, knocking against the jamon hanging there? Will she be allowed into sacred buildings? What kind of aquaintances will she make in Retiro?

Or maybe we are the fools? She may come home to tell us about all the special deals she got due to her Royal attire!

If there's any juicy gossip that is fair to share, I will do so!

Jo-Anne

------------------

#34245 - 08/10/00 01:03 AM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Rubia66 Offline

Loc: Webb City, Missouri USA
I too had the pleasure of being married in Spain, and although it was quite formal, there were no hats. Plus once the Tuna arrived at the reception, and the alcohol started flowing, nobody would remember what you were wearing!
I say go to Spain wedding or not! Anyone familiar with Spain knows that there not need be any special occasion for the Spaniards to have a good time!

#34246 - 09/06/00 03:51 PM Re: Wedding Etiquette
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

As I sit here, THE HAT is, at this very moment, holidaying in Madrid. Anyone spotted it? Anyone had a wedding gatecrashed?

No, I'm sure my friends parents are having a fabulous time in Madrid. I'm greatly envious.

------------------

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments