Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34156 - 06/10/00 03:41 PM Re: what to take for money
Sofia Offline

Loc: Seneca Falls, NY
The Corte Ingés has become my first stop for changing cash or traveler checks. I found their exchange rate to be the best.

The airport seemed to have a lower exchange rate.

The worst place to change money might be the places that say "no fee for exchange". The rate is so low, that you end up lossing a chunk of money in the exchange.

#34157 - 06/11/00 04:46 AM Re: what to take for money
davej Offline

Loc: Nerja, Málaga, Spain
Watch out for cambios offering an apparently fantastic rate of exchange. It's not until the deal is done and you realise that you haven't been given as many pesetas as you expected, that you notice a line (in VERY small print) stating this rate applies only to sums over a certain amount - i.e. a lot!

#34158 - 06/11/00 08:33 AM Re: what to take for money
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
OR that the great rate ONLY applies to exchanges FROM pesetas TO pesetas. Hehehee! If you can, JUST go to the bank and ALWAYS have your passport with you when changing money.

Saludos, MadridMan
-------------------
Enjoy books/music/videos/movies from & about Spain? Visit MadridMan's ALL Spain Market @ http://www.MadridMan.com/Allspainmarket.html

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34159 - 06/17/00 11:28 AM Re: what to take for money
Antonio Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid (Spain)
Hi everyone,

I checked for you the El Corte Ingles exchange office.

They charge 5% on bank notes!!!. You will get better deals at any bank so just leave El Corte Inglés in case you don't have other places to change you money.

For traveller checks they "only" charge 3%.

By the way, did you know you can change your American Express checks at no commission at the American Express office. This office is at Carrera de San Jerónimo, just beside the Congreso de los Diputados.

Regards,

Antonio

------------------
The best tips from your favourite hostal in Madrid.
Hostal Chelo at http://www.chelo.com

#34160 - 06/17/00 12:22 PM Re: what to take for money
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

No kidding!!!! I ALWAYS take the American Express traveler's checks when I go to Spain, but didn't know I could take them to their local office and not be charged a commission. Now this is a valuable tip!! Thanks, Antonio!!!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34161 - 07/10/00 11:11 AM Re: what to take for money
Brian Goldthorp Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I found ATM's the most convenient way to get money in Spain, but I had one problem occasionally. Some machines give you a choice of withdrawing from savings or chequing account, while some don't give you a choice. Those that don't give you a choice seem to default to your chequing account, which was not too great for me because I had about $5 in it and all my money in my savings account! (I should add that it probably isn't a uniquely Spanish problem, as I was in Connecticut and New York last month and it seems to be the case with some machines in the U.S. as well.) It wasn't too big a deal, because I found I could just walk a block to the next machine and it would work.

------------------

#34162 - 02/16/01 04:58 PM Re: what to take for money
Leche Offline

Loc: Boise, Idaho
ok...I've searched the forum high and low for this info. Will my VISA debit card WORK??

It has these symbols on the back:
fastbank, plus, the exchange, accel, interlink & star. (no Maestro and Cirrus logos)

How can I find out if it works and if it will be charging me a 'transaction fee' every time I use it in an ATM? Also....the strip is getting worn out. Will a standard Spanish bank do the transaction inside?

Leche

#34163 - 02/16/01 09:37 PM Re: what to take for money
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Hi Leche, I have used my VISA debit on two prior trips and it does work...you must have a 4 digit pin only...I recommend obtaining a new card before you go so there are no incidences with the magnetic strip you mentioned....Also, the first 2 times I tried to use the card in the ATM it wouldn't work, so we went inside the bank, they gave us money with the debit card, no problem, and after that, my card worked at all the other ATM"s...BTW, my card has the star,plus and interlink stystems. hope this helps.

#34164 - 02/16/01 10:49 PM Re: what to take for money
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Wow!! Leche, you are a MEMBER in HIGH standing around here! You ACTUALLY searched the message board BEFORE asking your question. I thank you. I thank you. I'm down on my knees now, thanking you. hehehe...

As laduque says, your ATM/DEBIT card WILL work in Spain. Taking a new card is a good idea too...or at least taking two cards if you and your travel partner has the same account, but carries his/her own copy of the card.

As I wrote above in my 6-17-00 posting before my October 2000 trip, that I was taking travelers checks on my trip - which I did - but I did not cash a SINGLE one! I used my ATM/DEBIT (with Visa symbol) card exclusively. My card is on the CIRRUS system which is what Caja Madrid and, I believe, Banco de Santander (there are many other banks as well). Whenever possible, as laduque suggests, use the INDOOR bank machines for safety's sake.

As for transaction fees, your question is perfect timing because I have been meaning to post this on the board somewhere.

In the current Mar/Apr '01 issue of Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel magazine, to which I subscribe, there was a GREAT article about avoiding surcharge fees with your credit cards.

The article refers to the use of credit cards for purchases abroad, but does not mention the use of debit cards and their charges.

They suggest that long before going on your trip you get yourself one of the Visa or Mastercards from one of the "hero banks", the few companies which have resisted the 2% surcharge imposed on purchases abroad for a conversion charge.

The banks are: Amalgamated Bank of Chicago, AmTrust Bank of Boca Raton FL, Capital One Bank of Richmond VA, First Internet Bank of Indiana of Indianapolis, First Union National Bank in Charlotte NC, Key Bank in Cleveland OH, MBNA of Wilmington DE, Metropolitan Bank and Trust of Mayfireld Heights OH, Ocean Bank of Miami, Ohio Savings Bank of Cleveland OH, USAA Savings Bank of Las Vegas NV, and Washington Mutual Bank of Wilmington DE. (sorry, but I didn't post their phone number above -- please search them on the internet if interested)

The article ALSO says you can avoid these surcharges by using a credit card from one of the many Credit Union if you happen to belon to one. They say not a single credit union chargest a fee for foreign purchases.

As I wrote above, the article doesn't talk about debit card withdrawls so ask your credit union or the bank from which you may have gotten your credit card above, and ask them if they impose an immediate charge for cash advances from ATM machines (most do, but maybe not from one of these banks for credit unions).

Hope this helps someone! I'll certainly consider getting a Visa/Debit card from my credit union before returning to Spain!

Saludos, MadridMan

#34165 - 02/17/01 06:09 PM Re: what to take for money
Nativo Offline

Loc: Madrid
I just wanted to add a humble info.
Regarding Visa-derived cards, both debit & credit cards use the credit visa protocol for international connections. That allows Servired & 4B spanish cards to work fine in US ATMs. My advice in Spain will be to use the servired ATMs, then you'll get the lowest comission, Red6000 cards will give you the opposite.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments