MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34126 - 12/09/08 11:01 PM Madrid: Several Restaurants
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
Since the winter doldrums seem to be setting in, I thought I would share a couple of restaurants I have enjoyed in the last year. I am fortunate in having Spanish friends with good taste to choose restaurants for me.

Meson Txistu

A basque restaurant on the northern end of Castellana near Bernabeu. Purportedly a hangout of Real Madrid players. Great food, a spacious dining room and an exstensive wine list from all over the world. After dinner they bring a pitcher of lemon granita with a basket of bombones and cookies. We ordered quite a bit with appetizers, dessert and wine for around 50 euros/person.

Restaurante Pereira

A family run restaurant with Galician food just southeast of Plaza Santa Ana. We went there with a family with a two year old (and three old guys!)for Sunday dinner. It was full of families out for the afternoon and the kids were catered to. Great food and family atmosphere at prices about normal for a quality meal.

And of course my Madrid favorite El Ingenio reviewed elsewhere on this site.

Buen Provecho!

Matt

#34127 - 12/12/08 02:14 PM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
my main complaint with Spanish restaurants is they open so bloody late. I've been in Spain for a bit over 2 years and still can't used to idea of families with young children sitting down to eat at 10pm or latter.

#34128 - 12/12/08 05:00 PM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
That's interesting, Rob in Madrid. The change of dining times was the thing I adjusted to immediately. That just goes to show, everyone's different.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#34129 - 12/13/08 04:32 AM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
I wouldn't say I adjusted immediately but now it's second nature for me .
I rarely eat before 11pm even in my apartment now .
The tables have turned because now , when I go to the UK , I find it really hard to sit down to a meal at 7pm and be in bed by 10pm .
I'm rarely in bed before 1am these days .
I do , however , wonder ( as Rob suggested ) how the kids get up for school in the mornings when I see them on the streets at midnight or later !
Steve

#34130 - 12/13/08 04:39 AM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Oh by the way , thanks Mongo , for the restaurant ideas . I definitely would like to try those places .. especially El Ingenio .
With Real Madrid's apalling season so far i would bet that they won't be seen in public too often right now !
Steve

#34131 - 12/13/08 10:17 AM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
School kids eat earlier at home on school nights. They usually have a merienda (like a sandwich) right after school and then a light meal around 8:30 or 9:00. They also have a huge meal at midday (three courses, same sort of food you would see on a menú del día)--many even go home for two hours for lunch. Also, kids here generally start school at 9:30. Not at the ungodly hours that they do in other places.

In the summer and breaks its a different story, but then the kids just sleep in like the adults.

#83500 - 01/01/09 04:09 PM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants [Re: madridmadridmadrid]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I just revisit Madrid, and talking about Restaurant, other than going to my old neighborhood in Quintana, I was taken here by Madrileños and it was a gag
Ribeira do Miño, Santa Brigida 1, metro Tribunal, just mariscada is worth a re visit

#83764 - 02/08/09 04:37 PM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants [Re: pedmar]
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I just returned from another round and was able to visit another fabulous restaurant. This time it was Portobello, which is a marisqueria right next door to Meson Txistu. Restaurante Portobello Everything is sold by weight.It is a very modern, well lit dining room with a nautical theme. It is decorated with many photos of famous people. Service is good, food is excellent and prices are on the moderate side of expensive, but it is shellfish. For dessert, we were given an assortment of bonbons and a bootle of Pacharan and a bottle of aguardiente that was packed with apricots and coffee beans. You also can ask for a hook to fish out the apricots. Delicious!

Matt

Edited by Mongo (02/08/09 04:41 PM)

#83768 - 02/09/09 04:38 AM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants [Re: Mongo]
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Matt ,
that I will definitely be targetting ... I go crazy for shellfish ! I´d have to watch myself on the pacharán though ! Sweet and deadly .

Steve

#83838 - 02/16/09 08:53 AM Re: Madrid: Several Restaurants [Re: steve robinson]
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
mmmmmm pacharán, mmmmmm shellfish 2 of my favourite things!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2004 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments