Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33972 - 06/04/08 06:16 AM Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Hastings Old Town , England .
Summer is the time when , at last , we get to see some great Spanish bands and international acts here in Madrid .
Despite Madrid being Spain's capital , the majority of International acts shun Madrid and head for Barcelona instead . I've heard that this is , in a big way , due to the lack of interest and support of Madrid's city council ( Ayuntamiento ) . Not confirmed !
I have read an article about this somewhere but maybe somebody can help me as to why Madrid is so often missed when acts come to Spain/Europe ?

We DO get some big acts .. Rolling Stones I think did play here at the Vicente Calderon stadium ... but Barcelona is usually preferred .
I have noticed a slight improvement in my 2 and a half years here and had the pleasure , last night , of joining 15,000 ecstatic people going wild for the pop diva Kylie Minogue ( Some USA readers may not know her but she's up there with Madonna here in Europe ) . She's Australian . It was a night to remember for sure !
But I thought i'd just mention a few acts confirmed for summer and beyond :

Marc Anthony ( 25 June ) , Juanes ( 26 june ) , Estopa ( 09 October ) , Queen ( 25 October ) , El Barrio ( 5 December ) All at Palacio de Deportes.
Nearby at the football ground in Avila , Hombres G will perform on June 7th .
At the bullring , Plaza de Toros , we have Miguel Bose ( 12 June ) and Pereza ( 13 June ) .

We also have the massive Rock in Rio festival on the 27/28th June and the 4,5,and 6th of July .
www.rockinriomadrid.terra.es which will be featuring Neil Young , Jack Johnson , Alannis Morisette , Manolo Garcia , El Canto del Loco , Carlinhos Brown , Tokio Hotel , Ivete Sangalo , Amy Winehouse , Shakira , Jamiroquai , Sterephonics , The Police , Alejandro Sanz , Estopa , Flamenco All Stars , Bob Dylan , Lenny Kravitz , Franz Ferdinand etc..........
enjoy it if you're here !

Steve

#33973 - 06/04/08 09:24 AM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
yes it seems realy strange that big events are not in Madrid, the olympics and formula one spring to mind which are massive events were in Barcelona, here in England, London has ALL the events of any nature, the rest of the country get whats left, which if you look at statistics you will find any big event up north the event will be a sell out which cannot be said about all eventsdown south, maybe it is because we dont get as many events so fill the stadiums/theatres when the opertunity comes along
must ask you about the Kylie concert Steve bet it was fantastic

#33974 - 06/17/08 06:28 AM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
puppyfeat Offline

Loc: London
I just thought I'd mention (because the original poster strangely omitted it...) that Bruce Springsteen is playing at the Bernabeu on 17 July. I saw him at Arsenal stadium in London last month and he was fantastic - so much so that when I saw he was playing Madrid I decided to come over and see him there. The opportunity of seeing the Boss in my favourite stadium in my favourite city was just too good to pass up.

Is anyone else here going - fancy meeting up?

#33975 - 07/01/08 08:15 AM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
neilstrauss23 Offline

Loc: madrid
Crowded House will be in town as well!!! smile )

if you know their songs like, " Dont dream its over"....go and see it!!

#33976 - 07/01/08 12:02 PM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Crowded House .. who , as many will know , used to be part of the Eighties band Split Enz seem to be making a comeback after their landmark "farewell" concert at Sydney's Opera House ... ( But they're kiwis... New Zealanders ) .
Just by chance , I was in London when they did a free promo gig at Tower Records in Piccadilly Circus ... I'd never heard of them , but the gig was amazing and I got an album ( old style .. NOT dvd ) and the boys all signed it for me .. with little cartoons etc .. To Stevo .. . It's a prized posession ...
Welcome ..Bienvenido a Madrid , guys !!
Steve

#33977 - 07/07/08 07:17 AM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
By the way, TeleMadrid and even "La 2" (TVE2) are showing Rock in Rio Madrid tonight live at about 11pm. You can probably watch online via TeleMadrid SAT. I think I saw Bob Dylan was playing last night and The Police the previous night.

Looks like fun! And even better is that it has been so wonderfully pleasant temperature/weather-wise these past few evenings.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33978 - 07/07/08 08:33 AM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

I watched a compilation of the coverage last night and the quality of the music was very high .. I only wish i'd gone .. I saw the teen band from Germany called Tokio Hotel and acts like Shakira , Alejandro Sanz and a mesmerising laid-back Jack Johnson ( a favourite of mine ) .. But the performance that blew them all away was Canto del Loco .. The front man , Dani Martin was absolutely possesed on stage ...Pure rock/pop fever .
Oh and Alannis Morisette was wonderful !
Most of my building seems to be away on holiday so I cranked up the volume ... I think Rock in Rio has been an incredible success ( At last !! some great bands in Madrid ! ) .
We do have Bruce Springsteen here on the 17th of July ..That should be spectacular .

#33979 - 07/07/08 09:36 AM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Oh by the way What is it with Bob Dylan ?I saw him in London about 10 years ago with a diehard fan .. And i fell asleep .. Honestly i've never done that in a concert/theatre etc.. But he was boring .. Zero charisma

#33980 - 08/02/08 02:30 PM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
Philip2008 Offline

Sorry to drag this old thread out of storage - but how was Kylie? I'm curious as to how the Spanish took to her and didn't even realise she was that popular in Spain. I saw her at the O2 in London this week and she was fantastic as usual!

I'm also surpised that major artists tend to give Madrid a miss - is it a lack of decent venues that make them pass and go elsewhere? I move to Madrid at the end of August and am hoping to continue my gig attendance, especially with more Spanish and Latin American artists who I thought would make the capital their first stop.

Anyway, I have a question regarding concerts in Madrid so I hope someone can help me.

I've read that Gloria Estefan is playing Madrid on September 13th as part of her European tour. However I can't find any firm evidence that this is true, or even find any useful information on the web as to which venue she is playing etc.

Does anyone "over there" have any information they can pass on please?! And where do the Spanish usually buy their concert tickets online - is there an equivalent of our (UK) ticketmaster.com?

The irony is that I've been waiting over 15 years to see her live here in the UK, yet when she plays London finally at the start of September I'll have upped sticks and be over in Spain! Such is life.

Thanks in advance for any assistance...

Philip

#33981 - 08/22/08 02:01 PM Re: Pop/Rock concerts in Madrid .
steve robinson Offline
Executive Member

Philip2008 ... Gloria Estefan is booked to play September 13th at Telefonica Arena in Madrid . It's advertised today in the newspapers and tickets can be bought via www.corteingles.es .... Go to the "entradas" tab .
I like her too especially her Spanish language stuff and I missed her by 2 days .. She's playing at the Puente Romano Hotel in Marbella on August 24th .. A 5 minute walk from my beach villa ! ( I returned to Madrid today ) Grrrrrrrrr . The Saudi Arabian royal family are in town right now .. Their yacht is something to behold ! And a lot of the staff and family are staying at that hotel .
Try , also , www.ticktackticket.com They are one of Madrid's premier ticket agencies .
Also , for music lovers , R.E.M are playing Madrid at last !! ( Plaza de Toros - 1st October ) .. Spain's inimitable diva "Monica Naranjo" will be at Palacio de Deportes on September 19th . The Uk'sPaul Weller ( Ex-The Jam ) will be at La Riviera on October 18th . The great band "Amaral" will be at Palacio de Deportes on October 30th . The Icelandic sensation Sigur Ros will be at La Riviera on November 12th . "Estopa" will be at Palacio de Deportes on October 9th .

Steve

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mah-g, Ricardo Mata
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2340 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments