MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#33833 - 04/11/08 04:52 AM Re: ohmygosh
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
The covered market close to Atocha is Mercado Anton Martin. Closed at mid day (2-5).

#33834 - 04/11/08 10:32 AM Re: ohmygosh
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
MadridMan,

Sorry to hear about Mercado de San Miguel. I don't think I'll ever get use to the improvements.

Do you think that the days of the open air markets are numbered in Spain? I'd be willing to bet that they will still exist in the smaller towns for quite a few more years.

#33835 - 04/11/08 04:48 PM Re: ohmygosh
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Mercado de San Miguel needed help. It was in decline for a long time. From what I've heard it's mostly going to be food, with more of a gourmet slant. There are three regular covered markets not far away (Antón Martín, Cebada, Mostenses) and lots of independent fruterías, carnicerías, pescaderías, on nearby streets so it's not a huge loss. Madrid still has a LOT of independent food stores so it's definitely premature to declare the death of markets.

The city is actually investing a lot right now in modernizing the markets and there are still a lot of them (at least 10 big ones, maybe more). Many small towns have weekly open-air markets, but all of the markets in Madrid are covered. I think almost any small town would kill for the variety and quality that you can find in the markets here...

#84419 - 05/14/09 12:44 AM Re: ohmygosh [Re: madridmadridmadrid]
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I just read that the Mercado de San Miguel just re-opened on May 13 (yesterday by the time most of you read this). I noticed the construction there during my visit to Madrid last year, and I wondered when it would open its doors. I took a quick glance at the web site and it seems pretty impressive. If anyone goes there to see it, please give a report!

#84420 - 05/14/09 03:53 AM Madrid: Mercado de San Miguel [Re: la historiadora]
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
If anyone goes there to see it, please give a report!
You'll get it! I plan to write a Madrid Blog entry about it in the next few days.

They did a "spot" on it yesterday or the day before on TeleMadrid television and it confirmed my fears of the rumors that it would be an upscale, boutique-type market. I remember well how it used to be, a regular market, much like the Mercat de la Boquería in Barcelona - although smaller. Now, you have none of that ambiance in the new version of the Mercado de San Miguel. I can imagine the tourists which wander inside - due to its proximity to the Plaza Mayor - and thinking, "THIS is a typical market??"

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#84429 - 05/17/09 01:32 PM Re: Madrid: Mercado de San Miguel [Re: MadridMan]
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
things change not always for the better, lesson learned. Now get ready for more road changes along the Castellana hehehehehe!
MAdrid is getting ready to host the 2016 olympics ,really?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1588 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments