Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33795 - 01/21/08 06:44 PM NYC: Calimocho/Kalimotxo
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Back in December, the New York Times had a small article entitled "If Bacchus Drank Cola," and it was about calimocho (aka kalimotxo) which is red wine mixed with Coca-Cola. The author interviewed the chef and owner of Pamplona restaurant in New York City (formerly known as Ureña) on East 28th Street about calimocho. According to the article, the drink was supposedly created at a festival in Algorta, Spain in 1972 and has been popular among young people since then.

Apparently at this Pamplona restaurant, it is served with 1 ounce of Coca-Cola, 2 ounces of rioja wine, and 2 ounces of rum and it has become quite a popular drink. To read this article from December 2, 2007, click here .

You can read the NY Times' review of the Pamplona restaurant from November 7, 2007 here .

To read other posts about Spanish restaurants in New York, see this thread and another thread and this recent review of Boqueria.

I have tried calimocho before, and I didn't care for the taste of it, but I might like it better with some rum! wink

#33796 - 01/22/08 09:42 AM Re: NYC: Calimocho/Kalimotxo
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
I particulary don't like calimocho very much. I used to drink it when I was a teenager at the parties because it was very cheap.
Calimocho is made usually with poor quality red wine, on the contrary is a good way to ruin both, wine and coca-cola. The only drinks I mix with coca-cola are black rum or whisky. In any case, "para gustos están los colores"(each to his own).

Saludos

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2384 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments