Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#33734 - 11/18/07 04:22 PM Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
Kipper Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Hi everyone, I´m in Madrid this week and was wondering if anyone knew if there was anywhere in Madrid to have an American Thanksgiving Dinner. Thanks !

#33735 - 11/19/07 09:49 AM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
In the past I believe Alfredo's BBQ has had a Thanksgiving dinner. There is a location just north of Retiro and another just off Plaza Cusco.

#33736 - 11/19/07 10:56 AM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
Kipper Offline

Thanks for the info, I´ll call

#33737 - 11/19/07 09:39 PM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
esperanza Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
You may also want to try Foster\'s Hollywood . Many moons ago while I was studying in Madrid we had a memorable Thanksgiving meal there with all of the other American students. I am not sure if they are still serving Thanksgiving dinner, but it is worth a try.

#33738 - 11/23/07 03:11 PM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Kipper, did you end up finding somewhere?

#33739 - 11/28/07 07:28 PM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
Kipper Offline

In the end we went to "Oven 180". Not a traditinal Thanksgiving dinner, but it was a cool new retaurant my friends wanted to take me and it was really wonderful. The next day we went to Granada and visited the Alhambra, it was amazing....Loved it...

#33740 - 11/29/07 05:29 AM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've YET to have a Thanksgiving Day meal here in Madrid. This year, like last year, I celebrated it with family in Geneva, Switzerland . Now THAT, there, was a VERY American Thanksgiving Day FEAST with all the usual fixins. The Turkey had to be ordered several days before, however, but it was tasty TASTY! :p

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33741 - 12/05/07 06:27 PM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I went down to my local market, ordered a turkey at the pollería and then took family and bird out to the country to cook and serve it there with some friends. 6 kilos! Not a bad size. And very juicy for a turkey. A hit with the Spanish...though I have to admit that no matter how hard I try to explain it to them, they just don't get the concept of Thanksgiving. They sort of look at me and say, "I know what you're saying, but I still don't know why you celebrate it"!!

#33742 - 12/05/07 09:42 PM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
Kipper Offline

Where is the "country" you speak of? My friends have a place in Domingo Garcia on the way to Segovia. It's just wonderful!

#33743 - 12/06/07 04:30 AM Re: Thanksgiving Dinner in Madrid
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I went to a small town in the north of Madrid called Alameda del Valle, which is quite close to the border of Segovia actually. It's basically on the other side of the mountains that lead to La Granja.

Alameda del Valle is about 4 kilometers from Rascafría (about 90 kms from Madrid). It's in the Valle del Lozoya, which is still one of the few spots in the Comunidad de Madrid which haven't succumbed to suburban build-up. By the way, DO NOT CONFUSE Alameda del Valle with Alameda de Osuna, which is a bedroom community about 20 kms. from Madrid! Quite a different place.

I love this area. It's great for visits and especially walking, and there is something for everyone in that respect. You have plenty of flat land to walk along, as well as some fairly serious hikes for those looking for something more challenging. There is also a nice reservoir. The towns are small and quaint.

Rascafría has also got a well-known monastery called El Paular (I think), which is worth the visit.

The shortest route there from Madrid in terms of distance is via Colmenar Viejo and then Miraflores. From Miraflores, you take the road over the Morcuera mountain which takes you down to Rascafría.

But if you're not up for all those curves, and it's cetainly something worth keeping in mind, take the A-1 (Carretera de Burgos) to exit 69. Continue straight on at the roundabout and the road takes straight through the valley. The last town is Rascafría, which is about 25 kms. away. All in all, when the traffic isn't bad, you can get there from Madrid in an hour max. I always take this route, basically to avoid massive car-sickness problems from my daughters in the back seat!

Here's a link:
http://www.alamedadelvalle.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments