Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33715 - 10/18/07 10:16 PM Drinking Café in Spain
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I've always wondered when is the "proper" time to drink different styles of coffee in Spain. For example, is it more appropriate to drink a café solo for breakfast or a café con leche? What about after dinner? My friends and I often order café con leche when we order dessert at Spanish restaurants here in the US. Some times I will order a café cortado, but then I cannot sleep! rolleyes

Does it make any difference? Do people drink whatever types of coffee they want at any time of day? Thanks for any insights! smile

#33716 - 10/19/07 06:17 AM Re: Drinking Café in Spain
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Café con léche is appropriate for breakfast unless you're like the Spanish working man who has a double-sugar Café solo with a generous shot of Aguardiente on his way to work.

Café con léche is not appropriate to have with dessert.

#33717 - 10/19/07 10:41 AM Re: Drinking Café in Spain
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hahhaaa..... That's funny Eddie because that's what I have with my breakfast every morning. hehehe... Just kidding.

I really only drink Café con Leche and think it's appropriate at any time of the day.

I have to tell you that sometimes when I'm with a woman and she orders a café solo and I order the café con leche, invariably when the waiter comes back he/she puts the café con leche in front of the woman and the café solo in front of me. I think it's a sexist thing here. But café solo is just too strong for me - not to mention too bitter.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33718 - 10/19/07 11:16 AM Re: Drinking Café in Spain
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Cafe solo just seems to taste better after a meal or if you are having anything sweet - Cafe con Leche (or two) fills you up - not what is needed after eating ...

#33719 - 10/19/07 03:47 PM Re: Drinking Café in Spain
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Whenever we went out, no matter what the time of day, everyone just got what they liked (Spaniards and EEUUans). And if it's late, don't be afraid to ask for a descaffinato if that's what you prefer. I frequently did, and then my Spanish colleagues felt free to do the same.

#33720 - 10/21/07 02:24 PM Re: Drinking Café in Spain
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
from a purely traditional way Cafe con Leche is good for breakfast,but thats it. Now of course Spain has change too, so Cafe is use anyway you like.
Cafe solo is good after a meal, cortao is good a counter bar, and cafe with liquor is good any time : smile

I like mine still cafe con leche in the mornings;cafe solo after lunch, and cafe con licor 43(or similar in my area) at late late evening meal.

#33721 - 10/26/07 10:41 AM Re: Drinking Café in Spain
sallyanne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
All my boyfriends family and friends are amazed at the times of day that I drink cafe con leche, (i.e. anytime). I'll drink it before a meal, with a meal or after a meal, whenever the mood takes me, and they thought this quite strange.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2446 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments