Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33698 - 09/30/07 02:17 PM Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Last Friday member Valenciano_en_Madrid and I had lunch at at the arrocería Restaurante La Buganvilla near the Plaza Alonso Martinez - Metro ALONSO MARTINEZ.

WOW! What a meal. We'd heard they had "The Best Paella in Madrid" and it had to be true - or very close to true. And who better to judge such a claim than a VALENCIANO?!?!

We ordered the "Arroz Mixta" which had a little of everything including rabbit, chicken, clams, squid, shrimp, and flat green beans among other delicious ingredients. Member Valencian_en_Madrid was more than pleased and did say it was probably the best rice he'd had in Madrid. And if HE was satisfied *I* was satisfied. Who better to know, right? I thought it was delicious!

Before the paella we had the seafood croquets starter to share between us. For dessert I had the berry sorbet and Damián had a chocolate dessert which seemed to be more or a work of art than something edible but he said it was very good. We were offered chupitos (liqueurs) to aid digestion and we tried 3 of the 4 - all very good and gave me a warm feeling in my stomach, assuming it was doing its duty.

The service was VERY professional throughout the meal and the Maître d' came to our table several times to see if we were enjoying the food. WE WERE! And we were happy to tell him so. Damián had a number of comments and observations for him to which he listened intently.

Read the complete details of the meal in today's Madrid blog entry, " Paella, Tapas, Toros, Plaza Mayor ".

Excellent Meal! thumbsup I hope to go back again someday to try some of the other paellas and rice dishes.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33699 - 09/30/07 10:55 PM Re: Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

Thanks for sharing! I really enjoyed reading this entry as well as the more detailed description on your blog. It sounds like you and Valenciano_en_Madrid had a wonderful meal and now I know where to go for good paella in Madrid if I can't make it to Valencia! thumbsup Of course, that means I have to get to Madrid some time soon, too. xfingers

#33700 - 10/01/07 11:48 AM Re: Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
good info, i always go to Bajamar Gran via 78 o
La Barraca ,Reina 29
will have to try it in my next trip.

#33701 - 10/01/07 02:27 PM Re: Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
pedmar, your above-mentioned restaurants, Restaurante La Barraca on Calle de la Reina, 29, has a website @ http://www.labarraca.es/ . It looks like a nice restaurant! They list prices like 11€, 16€, 17€, etcetera. I'm going to guess that's the PER PERSON PRICE for a minimum 2-person paella. I'll have to try that someday IN SEARCH OF THE BEST PAELLA IN MADRID!

You also mentioned Restaurante Bajamar on Calle Gran Via, 78. It's right next to the Plaza de España. They too have a website @ http://www.restaurantbajamar.com/ . This place is more of a seafood restaurant but they I see they do serve a seafood paella. Unfortunately, on their website, the pages for "Our Dishes" and "Reservations" don't work.

And just down the street from pedmar's Restaurante La Barraca suggestion above is another one I like very much, on Calle de la Reina, 39, " Restaurante La Paella de la Reina " a few blocks from the Gran Via, below Chueca. Good paella in a more relaxed atmosphere. I mention this place and show a photo on the blog entry entitled " More Madrid Flamenco ".

Who'd think there'd be TWO good Arrocerías nearly side-by-side!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33702 - 10/01/07 05:02 PM Re: Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
pbhorton Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
We just finished our fabulous trip to Madrid (loved every minute of it) and ate at La Barraca one evening. Wonderful service, great paella and pretty reasonable (63 euro with paella for 2, appetizer, wine and coffees).

Also across the street was Bar Cock - where I had one of the best mojitos ever - not cheap - but really good!!

#33703 - 10/03/07 03:58 PM Re: Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I am glad you love the La Barraca, actually its been a favorite of mine for years and years...The Bajamar is similar too.
well next time pbhorton, next time for a good original mojito you go to Centro Cubano at Claudio Coello 41, been there since 1967 oldest Cuban restaurant/bar in all of Europe.

#33704 - 10/03/07 05:30 PM Re: Madrid: Restaurante La Buganvilla for PAELLA!
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Hi!

I am really glad that MadridMan invited me for lunch, thank you very much MM. I had a great time with him, he's a very friendly person and a great man.

The restaurant has a family atmosphere, the clientele is mainly Spanish. The place is clean and quiet and the waiters are very professional.

The paella was very good at Bouganvilla. I cannot say it is the best paella in Madrid, but at least the rice was perfectly cooked, not soft, not hard and the rice grains were clearly visible as individual ones. In other restaurants (not specializing in paella) I couldn't distinguise the rice grains, the paella was like pap or plaster.

I didn't try "La Barraca" or "Paella de la Reina", but I promise that I will do it. I also have heard good comments about "L'Albufera" Restaurants in Madrid.

If you visit la Bouganvilla my advice is to tell the waiter when you order the paella not to add the "picada de ajo y perejil" (chopped garlic and parsley), they say it is their personal touch, but in my opinion its taste is too strong and hides the rest of the flavours. Furthermore Valencians never add this ingredient to any kind of paella.

Saludos

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments