Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33678 - 09/19/07 09:21 PM Gypsy Dancers Barcelona???
Silver Traveler Offline

Loc: LaGrange (Near Atlanta) Georgi...
I am heading to Barcelona as part of a longer trip beginning Sept 25. Today someone who was in Barcelona last summer said "By all means do not miss the gypsy dancers in Barcelona....." They did not remember any details other than the fact a travel tour compmany carried them to see the "Gypsy Dancers". Nothing on the internet that I find refers to the act....anyone with any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

#33679 - 09/19/07 11:54 PM Re: Gypsy Dancers Barcelona???
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I don't know of any "gypsy dancers" in Barcelona, although I could be mistaken. Perhaps the dance to which the person was referring was the "Sardana" dance which is a traditional catalan dance. I have never seen it on my trips to Barcelona, but I have often read about it and I've seen it on television. It is performed in front of the cathedral in the Gothic Quarter on Sundays.

You can read an earlier post with a description of it by clicking here . Also, there is a You Tube video at this link . If you ever watch Samantha Brown's "Passport to Europe" show, she participates in the Sardana dance during the episode she filmed in Barcelona .

Enjoy your trip! smile

#33680 - 09/20/07 08:13 AM Re: Gypsy Dancers Barcelona???
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Surely they were talking about going to a flamenco tablao with dancers, music, etc.--of which there are several in Barcelona. Check out the list here under "Cataluña":

http://www.deflamenco.com/sitios/sitiosi.jsp?sitio=04&p=s

I don't think anyone would mistake the sardana for a "gypsy dance".

#33681 - 09/20/07 01:01 PM Re: Gypsy Dancers Barcelona???
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Gypsy dancers = Flamenco Dancers?
Gypsy dancers = Sardana Dance?

Go back to the person who was in Barcelona and ask then where the saw the Gypsy dancers (Not a word I would choose to use).

If it was in front of the Barcelona Cathedral then it was locals doing the Sardana Dance. They are certain not gypsies but Catalanes holding onto one of their traditions.

Bill

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2650 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments