Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33629 - 08/03/07 02:44 PM Pan Tumaca
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Hi all,

I am trying to find a recipe for pan tumaca. Now, I know how to rub the bread with garlic and tomato and drizzle olive oil & salt.

What I am looking for is more along the lines of this:

In Madrid I typically encountered the tomato 'sauce' pre-made for breakfast in cafes. The waitress would toast the bread, and then spoon (or pour from a pitcher) the pre-made tumaca part on top. Maybe not authentic, but usually VERY good.

I am having a rather large party and feel that this would be the best way to keep me out of the kitchen for hours.

If anyone has any insight please let me know.

I wish I could remember some cafe names where I had this. One great little coffee place was just around the corner from Hostel Adriano to the north east off C/Cruz...maybe C/Barcelona or C/Espoz Y Mina?

#33630 - 08/03/07 09:42 PM Re: Pan Tumaca
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
...hi Sparkalina...try going to http://tapastalk.wordpress.com/2007/03/13/bread-served-catalan-style/...it sounds like what you want is simply pureed or blended tomato.

#33631 - 08/03/07 09:52 PM Re: Pan Tumaca
Neddie Offline

Loc: Atlanta USA
Sparkalina....looks like i did something wrong with the link and i don't know how to edit it!!! Anyway, if you go to www.tapastalk.wordpress.com and scroll down to tapa of the week #6, you will find a link to 'tumaca' towards the end. As i say,pureed tomato is maybe what you want.

#33632 - 08/04/07 01:45 AM Re: Pan Tumaca
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
The place by the Adriano might be La Piconera on the corner of C/ Cadiz and Barcelona.

Here is my take. Brush fresh sliced bread with olive oil and toast until crisp and brown. Cut garlic cloves in half and rub the cut surface onto the toast.

In the meantime, peel, seed, core and dice some ripe fresh tomatoes. Puree a clove or two of garlic with some olive oil in a food processor. Puree again with the tomatoes and salt to taste. Spoon over the bread. Garnish with chopped parsley or add other ingredients to make pinchos.

#33633 - 08/06/07 12:25 PM Re: Pan Tumaca
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Thanks to both of you. Great ideas. And may I add....yum!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments