Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33586 - 06/10/07 09:00 PM Bathrooms
joycenj Offline

My daughter heard something about "turkish bathrooms" in Spain, which she described as a hole in the ground, is this true?

#33587 - 06/10/07 09:57 PM Re: Bathrooms
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

I have seen these before, but very rarely. I was at a rest stop in a rural area many years ago. However, you will probably want to keep some pocket tissue in your purse just in case there isn't any toilet paper available as that can be a common (although not frequent) occurrence in any restroom while traveling. Also, be aware that in some places you may have to pay a small fee to use the restroom. I have seen this all over Europe, but many Americans are surprised when they encounter this!

#33588 - 06/11/07 04:53 AM Re: Bathrooms
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
I haven't seen one of these in the past 10 years . I don't think they exist here (in Spain) anymore. You never have to pay to use the bathroom at a restaurant or public building. There are a handful of bathrooms (for example in the Retiro) where they ask for a bit of change, though I think it is optional. After doing a road trip across the US, I'd say the bathrooms are generally cleaner here.

#33589 - 06/11/07 05:08 AM Re: Bathrooms
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
They're still quite common in in Italy, trust me it's a wierd experience!

#33590 - 06/11/07 05:07 PM Re: Bathrooms
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
They still exist in Spain, the last time I saw one was last summer in Galicia, but they are quite rare and I haven't seen one for years in Madrid. And yes, as an American, I was pretty surprised when I saw one for the first time, I can tell you.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments