Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#33510 - 04/25/07 11:21 AM The bests restaurants in the world
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
The British magazine 'Restaurant' has published its new list for the best restaurants in the world for 2007.
This year the best one is, again, 'El Bulli', from Girona (Spain).
Do you agree?
Are these places affordable for people?
Do they really represent the cuisine of a country?

http://www.theworlds50best.com/2007_list.html

#33511 - 04/26/07 02:41 AM Re: The bests restaurants in the world
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I couldn't tell you if I agree as I've never been there. It's nearly impossible to book a table. Tables for this year were book in October of last year.

The fixed menu goes for about 150 euros per person (wine not included), which is by no means cheap. This is definitely a special occasion event. However, if you consider that you are going to, "The" best restaurant in the world, I guess relatively speaking it is within reason. Afterall, you might drop the same amount to take a flight from Madrid to London...and have to pay for your drinks!

El Bulli doesn't represent classic Spanish cuisine, but it does represent the modern Spanish cuisine revolution. Ferrán Adrià revolutionized the way chefs, and diners, look at cooking. There's tons written about it, and some can be quite snobby, but I think Adriá's intentions are sincere, and from what I gather, he is a down-to-earth man who would enjoy sitting down and eating a good tortilla de patatas as well.

#33512 - 04/26/07 06:51 AM Re: The bests restaurants in the world
billy the man Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Bolton England
im sorry i cannot agree that they are the best around its a matter of taste. we have a restaurant called the olive grove own by one of the top chefs in the country. people come from miles around but the problem is he just OWNS IT! he is never there to do the cooking. when we went the service was shoddy the food ok the restaurant is beautiful inside but you pay for that with the price of the food.
dont get me wrong some of the restaurants are full value for money,but the name above the restaurant does not mean they do the cooking

#33513 - 04/26/07 07:11 PM Re: The bests restaurants in the world
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I can see your point, but I think El Bulli is a little different. Ferrán Adrià is a chef and not just an owner. I can't honestly say if he's sweating it out in the kitchen every night, but from what I understand he is there behind the months of preparation of the menu for each year and, at least for a long time, actively participated in the cooking. It may be that after all these years he has delegated the cooking to subordinates, but I really can't say.

I agree 100% that the term "best" is almost absurd and obviously totally subjective (an I'm certainly not saying El Bulli is the best), but going to his restaurant is apparently an unparalleled experience, and if there are now hundreds of El Bulli-esque restaurants around Spain and the world, it is certainly thanks to him. His achievements are hailed almost universally by experts, and his contribution and influence are immense. So, personal tastes aside, we are before a titan in creative cuisine, not just a very good chef.

Is 150 € worth it? That's certainly up to the individual, and if someone doesn't think so, it would make perfect sense. I think many restaurants are overpriced and I can't stand this trend of fancy food (or not so fancy food) costing an arm and a leg. But from a luxury standpoint, relatively speaking, it is not totally beyond reason, when you compare it to what other luxuries might cost. And even then I think it's borderline justifiable.

But of course, these are debates that have been going on for a long time and I get the feeling there is really no one right answer.

#33514 - 04/27/07 05:27 PM Re: The bests restaurants in the world
Valenciano_en_Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Majadahonda (Madrid)
Murdy,
I completely agree with you. Adrià is a great chef and his foams and bubbles of air with taste of something must be an unforgettable experience. But after the bubbles I'd like a good "chuletón de Ávila" please. Just joking.
Well, Adrià and Berasategui have rised the level and the prestige of the Spanish cuisine, and I am not talking only about the food, but about service and presentation, wich used to be the weak points of Spanish restaurants.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2437 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments