Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#33327 - 01/26/07 09:49 AM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
La Historiadora,
I just checked www.ticketstoros.com and the Las Ventas website and could not find any bullfights scheduled in May. San Isidro festival is in Madrid, right? Maybe they just have not posted the schedule yet.

#33328 - 01/26/07 09:52 AM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
puppyfeat Offline

Loc: London
Unless you go to one of the better corridas, ie. during San Isidro, I wouldn't bother buying expensive tickets as it should be easy enough to walk around and sit where you like. I did. When I went to Las Ventas a few years ago, it was towards end of the bullfighting season in late September, the arena was about three quarters empty, and most of the crowd were Japanese tourists. At a corrida like this, you can be sure that you aren't going to see the best bullfighters, although the last one on the bill is generally the best of the lot - and even if you don't know much about it, the difference in their abilities is quite evident. So if you're worried that your kids might get bored, don't bother going too early. Mind you, there's probably more chance of seeing one of the first bullfighters get gored than the last one, if that appeals to you!

I think you should understand and explain to your kids that bullfighting is not a sport, but a ritual, and an art form. Yes, it is brutal, but culturally the bull is very important in Spain. Although the ultimate aim of a bullfight is to kill the animal, the crowd appreciate a brave bull as much as a brave and skillful matador, and in their eyes this is the most noble way for the bull to die. Before you go, I'd recommend that you read Ernest Hemingway's Death in the Afternoon, a fascinating and beautifully written account of his time following some of the great matadors of the 1920's, which will give you a far better understanding and appreciation of the whole thing.

#33329 - 01/26/07 05:11 PM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
la historiadora Offline
Executive Member

sparkalina, the San Isidro Festival is in May. The actual saint's day is May 15, and the events such as the corridas surround that date for three weeks. When the daily corridas will begin, I do not know. I had also noticed that the schedule wasn't up yet on the web site. Perhaps in a few more weeks the schedule will appear, or maybe someone who is in Madrid now can give you more details. xfingers

#33330 - 01/27/07 05:28 AM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
The schedule is not up because they are probably still trying to work out which bullfighters will be available and how many different days they will bullfight. The big names might appear on three different occasions. Plus, there are bullfighters who might start out the season particularly strong and work their way into the schedule. They will also have decide who will be debuting "tomar la alternativa". I'm not really an expert on bullfighting scheduling, I know these are some of the factors.

La historiadora is right: May is Las Ventas busiest month. There are actually two fesitvals. One is just a few days long around the May 2 holiday of the Comunidad de Madrid. San Isidro begins several days before May 15th and runs into early June. All in all, there must be some 25-30 bullfights. So, I wouldn't expect to see anything until at least March, if not a little later.

Now, if you want to participate in the artwork contest for this year's poster...here's what you have to do:

http://asp.las-ventas.com/noticias/noticia_detalle.asp?codigo=751&codigo_seccion=3

In fact, the deadline is March 8, so that should give you an idea of when the calendar will be made official.

Good Luck!

#33331 - 01/27/07 08:57 AM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
For what seems to be an up-to-date schedule of events - not including WHO's fighting - visit http://www.eol.es/lgalicia/ and click "Bullfights" as well as the Localidades Galicia bullfight website @ http://www.bullfightticketsmadrid.com/ for what kind of bullfight is taking place.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33332 - 01/27/07 01:12 PM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
WOW I just checked both websites and now there are a lot of dates listed so that is a good sign that I should be able to catch 1 or 2 while in Madrid.

Does anyone have a website for bullfight dates in Seville at Real Maestranza? gotcha

#33333 - 01/27/07 06:48 PM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
For Seville, the official website for Real Maestranza is http://www.realmaestranza.com/ but their website seems to be down now. I don't think they have the line-up set yet either.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33334 - 02/15/07 04:46 PM Re: Madrid: Bullfights? Where? How?
eskimo joe Offline

Loc: st cyrus , scotland
I think that place sounds a bit expensive , when the cartels are announce this place sells tickets , delivers to your hotel and charges about 14e per ticket
Tauroentrada

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1445 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments