Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#33305 - 05/03/07 02:35 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I finally have a Borsao ally!!! Thanks Megia! wink

You mention a lot of interest wines and regions. Jumilla, where the Olivares is from, has some bodegas making very good sweet wine from Monastrell grape. Traditionally many Spanish wines were sweet, and it's good to see them making a comeback.

Muga and Gurpegui Muga are two entirely different wineries. There may be some family relationship there since both have been around for a long time, but I haven't found any. Wines from Gurpegui Muga are definitely more economical (and are perfectly sound), but Mugas are rated as some of the best Riojas around.

As for D.O. Rueda, well you are partial to their white wine because that is still their best bet. As for the Marqués de Riscal, I'm glad to hear you like it. Actually Marqués de Riscal was the pioneer in that region. In the 1970s, ruedas were very different wines (almost sherry-like), but it was Marqués de Riscal, in search of a new outlet for its white wine market, which moved into town and changed the direction of that region forever. So in a sense, we have Marqués de Riscal to thank.

As for rueda reds? There's not much available, but you might want to ask around for one of these two: Vacceos Crianza(tempranillo) or Monasterio de Palazuelos Crianza (thought this was pretty good). They are genrally good values.

#33306 - 05/03/07 03:17 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
I agree on Marques de Riscal and not only in whites but in reds too; very well known brand and a historical house in Spanish winemaking indeed. I have met the winemakers in spain and US.Great folks too.

#33307 - 05/03/07 07:04 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
That's interesting Pedmar. I think winemakers in general tend to be very open and friendly people (buena gente). And they love talking about their wine.

Your comment also made realize that I was a little vague in the previous post and that maybe I should clarify a point to other readers who might not be as familiar with this winery.

Marqués de Riscal is a classic Rioja winery and one of the oldest. Basically it was one of the "founding fathers" of Rioja wine region. Here it is most famous for its excellent red wine.

In the 1970s, this winery decided to expand and look for a different region to make white wine. Rioja makes white wine and although some are quite good (Muga, for example makes a good one), they can be a little heavy and, back then, they were rather inconsistent. After a little searching, the decided upon Rueda as a region with a lot of white wine potential. And they were right!

So, when we talk about Marqués de Riscal whites we refer to Rueda, and when we talk about the Marqués de Riscal reds, we refer to Rioja.

Come to think of it, Marqués de Riscal has been a pioneer in both regions!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3017 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments