Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#33275 - 12/14/06 12:49 PM Spanish wines in the U.S.
jabch Offline

Can anyone recommend affordable wines from Spain available at large or chain U.S. stores.

Last week I was surprised to find Albariņo Mar de Frades ($20) at HyVee. It is really good. It has become my favorite white wine. I also tried Borsao ($8), which I donīt recommend...may be for sangria.

#33276 - 12/15/06 01:48 AM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Seems to me the World Market chain in the USA carried a number of Spanish wines, mostly red, but likely also carry the more-and-more-commonly-found Albariņo. You can usually find the red wines Marquez de Riscal and Faustino VI in most large grocery stores like Giant Eagle.

Check the " Spanish Red Wine Help " & " Wines from Spain: USA " threads for other ideas for Spanish wines in the USA.

Saludos, MadridMan thumbsup

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33277 - 12/16/06 12:58 AM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
Hi jabch ,

I suppose it can also depend upon where the heck you are in the USA>...! smile

Do you have access or are in California or Nevada? Go to Trader Joe's and try Santonegro, from Jumilla, or Castillo de Jumilla Monastrell Tempranillo, also from Jumilla. Those are both great wines for the $.

Personally, I think there is a lot of mediocre Spanish wine in the USA, especially from the ' brands of always' that you can find anywhere...

The real quaffers are at Trader Joe's and Beverages and More, at least in California and some other western states....

Good luck finding some!!

#33278 - 12/16/06 11:01 AM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
megia writes:
Quote:
Personally, I think there is a lot of mediocre Spanish wine in the USA, especially from the ' brands of always' that you can find anywhere...
I agree! Because of that I have lately been concentrating more on Chilean or Argentinian Wines for 'table wine.' Premium Spanish wines, like Marques de Riscal Rioja Reserva are very expensive in New Jersey. I assume that's the case all over. rolleyes

#33279 - 12/16/06 12:14 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
jabch Offline

Hi megia and everyone: Well I am in Kansas City, MO, that's why I was looking for chain stores...Here you find some good Spanish wines, but they are the same I've seen all my life...Sangre de Toro, Marques de Caceres and Marques de Riscal...nothing new.

It's really weird, there aren't many Spanish wines in the $10-$20 range. You find mostly the very cheap $5, bad tasting wine or the $30 and up expensive bottles...So like Eddie I've been trying the Argentinian wines, especially Malbecs.

Thanks for the links MM, I'll check them out.

Definitely I recommend your try a good Albarino for you Christmas dinner tree ...

#33280 - 12/22/06 03:43 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
see www.classicalwines.com . he american she spanish in sleepless Seattle. they can help you find them or sell you direct. they used to do that a few years back. they import spanish wines to the US.

#33281 - 01/08/07 05:38 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
I also tried Borsao ($8), which I donīt recommend...may be for sangria.
You really don't like Borsao, Jabch? That's too bad, because I actually think it's a pretty good wine for the price. In Spain, the young wine goes for just a few euros. The winery has a more upscale red called Tres Picos, which I would recommend. I think it goes for something like $12.

But many of you are binging up a point which should worry Spanish winemakers, and that is some bodegas are getting careless about what works in the American market. You get the feelng they think that because Americans are used to paying more fore their wine, they will pay more. But there is a lot of competition with very reasonably priced wines.

Having said that, I would like to give Spanish wine a fair chance. Every time I go back I find more and more Spanish wine in wine stores, so the offer must be improving. For good generally good nice-priced reds try the wines from these regions:
Navarra, La Mancha, Jumilla, Somontano, some Toros (though they are getting pricey), Campo de Borja.

For whites, try the Ruedas.

Good Luck!

#33282 - 01/08/07 06:17 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
jabch Offline

Thanks! Murdy.

#33283 - 01/08/07 07:47 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I've got to add that I've yet to have a Borsao that I've liked. I really tried to like them too, buying several bottles of inexpensive Borsao reds in the USA. The first one make me sick. The next several were not pleasing at all either. One of those, I recall, after it being open (but corked) 2 days it turned bad, really sour. Maybe I was only trying the lower-quality exported Borsao reds. In fact, it was the one shown in the photo below, the bottle with the blue label.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33284 - 01/09/07 01:52 PM Re: Spanish wines in the U.S.
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Murdy,
As one of the resident wine experts I'm hoping you can educate me - I have seen a huge increase in Yecla lately in the States -Can you shed some light on history, trends, quality?

I must say that the ones I have had were quite good - but I'm another who absolutley will not drink Borsao

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3024 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments