Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#33130 - 08/31/06 12:52 PM Re: Free Tapas?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
Probably obvious to anyone who speaks Spanish, but a pincho is a pincho because it is usually pinchado (pierced). That is, it usually has a toothpick or skewer going through it (like pinchos morunos, for example).

#33131 - 08/31/06 08:31 PM Re: Free Tapas?
mse924 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin, USA / Madrid, Españ...
When I lived in Madrid, we used to go to a tiny neighborhood bar called "El Porto" (i think?). It was a little narrow place within walking distance of C/Alberto Aguilera and the dueno was a crazy Portuguese man who had a penchant for inappropriately-shaped hats. smile

Anyway, you always got 5 or 6 different kinds of free tapas with each (cheap!!)drink you ordered. The bartender would scoop them up out of giant bowls sitting on the bar and line them up in front of you like a little buffet. Sadly, I didn't discover the place until I only had a few months left in Madrid.

If anyone knows of the place I'm talking about and remembers and address (or even a metro stop) I would appreciate the help! I want to send a friend there when she heads to Madrid in September...

#33132 - 09/01/06 05:25 AM Re: Free Tapas?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
(in Madrid) Last week we went into the below bar called "Café de San Milla" (or San M-something, can't remember and can't read it on the photo) on Calle de Toledo, 61 - right near the eastern of the three LA LATINA metro stations. We went in last Monday noon for a "clara con limon" (beer with lemon soda), sat at the bar and ordered. We were sitting there talking about free tapas and I mentioned this thread. My signifant other said something like:
Quote:
"This is just a bar. They don't really have any tapas under glass. But they really should give a free tapa in most places just because most things they'd give are so cheap. For example, a small plate of olives, nuts, or potato chips - the cheapest available bought in bulk - would only cost them, maybe 0.15 €. And even if they raised the price of the drink by 0.15€ it would give the customer a good feeling and make them want to return."
So we discussed this topic for awhile and midway through my drink I went downstairs to the restroom. Upon coming up the stairs to the bar I looked at my S.O. and she, upon seeing me, had a big grin on her face while she was pointing to the small plate of "Patatas Ali-Oli" in front of her. A FREE TAPA AFTERALL! hehehe.. Good story.

[img]http://qdqphotos.mappy.com/1/c/tbf/user=esphoto;uri=XHI2yGfU9OoT8TRmVoWolKpiMP91PJQVcLyG9a1UJfb8mG40oUXwV97E+vYqbwfY0kfWHkYlDG/hV8fempdLCJUQ2zCEHAPNfbv47FTdRMo2Iy2YHAE4dX2k94Rcf2ukrd1gdixXmyAvb8g3/EhQ+HGZwcWp5ot5EzCof1MngopD9nyiWjrEMg==[/img]
Calle de Toledo, 61 - near LA LATINA metro station.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33133 - 09/05/06 06:36 PM Re: Free Tapas?
Damian Corrigan Offline

Loc: Currently Granada - next week,...
Pinxos in the Basque country, I believe, are usually skewered, but I think in much of the country they are not - un pincho de tortilla is "a pinch of tortillo", like a bite, or a nibble, etc.
About.com is part of The New York Times Company

#33134 - 09/05/06 08:44 PM Re: Free Tapas?
madridmadridmadrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: madrid
"Pinch" is a false cognate. In Spanish, pinchar/pincho/pintxo does not mean "to pinch" or "a pinch"--rather it means "to poke or pierce" or "a toothpick/skewer." The origin of the term pincho/pintxo comes from this idea--even though today not all pintxos are pinchado, though most still are.

This is just speaking to the etymology of the term--of course we are all free to pinch our pintxos as much as we want. Though some are getting so large that they are more like a fistful than a pinch. Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

#33135 - 09/26/06 06:56 PM Re: Free Tapas?
Sarz Offline

hi there, we had some great tapas in Granada. One place (I can't remember the name as wasn't the first place of the night ;-)), Gave a different tapa for each drink. They were always a small saucer size, so not large but after 3-4 of them (we decided to stay because they were so good) there was no need for dinner. They ranged from a few olives (#1) to a hot vege mix (like a ratatouille with tomato, onion, eggplant etc), hot chorizo casserole, was fantastic.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments