Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#33120 - 08/07/06 04:48 AM Re: Free Tapas?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Went for tapas/drinks with a friend last Saturday night in Madrid and first went to one of the Museo del Jamón. We ordered a couple of beers and with it got a free tapa tray of about 8-10 slices of chorizo each almost 1/2 inch thick. Museo de Jamón seems to always give one free tapa with a drink.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33121 - 08/07/06 07:28 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I have noticed that good tapas are on the rise. It's true there was a time when you were lucky if you got anything better than a plate of olives. They're good but a little tiresome after a while. It also helps if it's a place where the owner knows you. In my part of town (Ibiza, Narvaez, Retiro) "Tapeo" has gotten quite good. Try "El capricho" at the corner of Menorca and Lope de Rueda. One of the best new tapa places I have found is nearby too. It's a little off the beaten track for those in the very center of Madrid but it's not too far away and the tapas you get make it worth the trip. Even the waiter is one of those classic funny Madrid waiters with a quick and witty answer for everything.

The only thing is that I can't remember the name!!! (Aaah!)

But I do remember the directions. It's behind the Hotel Convención. Actually it's the back corner of the hotel, at the corner of Duque de Sesto and Maiquez. I'll see if I can't find the name. It's often quite full in the evening and once you go, you'll understand why.

#33122 - 08/07/06 05:41 PM Re: Free Tapas?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Murdy, these tapas at "El Capricho" are free?? WOW! If so, I'm going to check them out one of these days.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33123 - 08/08/06 01:21 AM Re: Free Tapas?
normske Offline

I used to like the tapas in Museo del Jamón. Then one day i saw the barman pick up a plate of half eaten chorizo/jamon and put the contents back into the main bowl they serve from.

#33124 - 08/08/06 06:17 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

That's right, the tapas at the Capricho are free. It sort of depends on the day and your luck, but they are generally better than usual. The other one behind the Hotel Convención, whose name I'll get when I get back, also serves free and abundant tapas. Check them out and others and let me know what you think.

#33125 - 08/10/06 05:30 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Damian Corrigan Offline

Loc: Currently Granada - next week,...
Hi all (this is my first post on this site, by the way),

Going back to talking about Granada and Leon - it is true that they are the last two vestiges of hearty free tapas with every drink, but there is a difference in the philosophy behind it, if not the end result.

In Granada, it is a 'tapa' something to cover your drink with. The emphasis is on the drink; with the food it is (usually) a case of "you get what you're given".

In Leon, it is a 'pincho', a sample of something else off the menu. The emphasis is on the food - the intention is that you'll like what you've sampled and buy it off the menu.

I have to confess I have never been to Leon (I'm going soon), but this is what I was reliably told by a Spaniard who likes his food!

Damian
About.com is part of The New York Times Company

#33126 - 08/16/06 05:44 PM Re: Free Tapas?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

As a show of my dedication to providing only the most accurate information for you good people of the MadridMan message board, I have sought out and found the name of that bar/restaurant behind the Hotel Convención whose tapas were both free and abundant (i.e. I walked down the street and read the name outside). The place is called "Comarca de Aliste" on the corner of Maiquez and Duque de Seston (one street over from O'Donnell). If you get a chance, give it a try and let me know what you think. Hope I haven't set your expectations too high, but the two times I went, I was pretty impressed.

#33127 - 08/16/06 11:12 PM Re: Free Tapas?
La Profa Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I agree with Damian Corrigan that in León the focus is more on the food and not so much on the drink. However, for anyone thinking about going to León don´t call the "tapas" "pinchos" when you are out and about. The Leoneses will not know what you are talking about! :p The only food they call a pincho is a larger slice of the Spanish potato omelet, un "pincho de tortilla". Other than that the larger portions are called "raciones" and unfortunately these are not free. frown
I am not an expert on the south of Spain, perhaps it common for tapas to be called pinchos in the south?

#33128 - 08/17/06 02:24 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Actually one place I know it is common to call tapas pinchos is in the Basque Country (where you sometimes see it spelled pintxos). These are often quite elaborate and are placed on trays for people to either order or simply help themselves to. But careful (¡Ojo!), these are generally not free. When it's time to pay, you tell the bartender how many you have eaten and he factors that into the bill.

#33129 - 08/31/06 11:42 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Damian Corrigan Offline

Loc: Currently Granada - next week,...
Thanks for the clarification guys. I also thought pinchos were also only in Basque, but that was what my friend told me. No, in the south they are not called 'pinchos' - just tapas.
About.com is part of The New York Times Company

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Alex Layton, Laurakt, sopas, striz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1767 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments