Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#33110 - 06/12/06 03:03 PM Free Tapas?
Kitty Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
I read a post about free tapas. Is that true or just for pretty girls?

#33111 - 06/12/06 03:08 PM Re: Free Tapas?
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
A decade ago and before, a free small tapa with your drink was the rule. Nowadays, it is becoming the exception, at least in Madrid or Barcelona. Andalucia is still the paradise in that aspect, being Granada the top of it.

#33112 - 06/12/06 05:03 PM Re: Free Tapas?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Yup. It's my experience that free tapas are still rather common throughout Spain in "normal bars" (not necessarily in tourist bars) - AS LONG AS you order a beer/wine first. But you typically only get ONE tapa per night. So, that is to say, you don't get one free tapa PER drink. That's why people go from one bar to the next to get one free tapa at each place.

At my little neighborhood bar here in Madrid where I live, depending on the hour, I'll not only get a free tapa with my drink but the barman will bring out a plate of tasty things too of which each patron can take one. I've been there before and had THREE free tapas with my one drink. But we're not talking "raciones" here. The free tapa could be a small plate of potato chips or an anchovy & red pepper on a slice of bread or a small slice of "tortilla de patata" or something like that. The free tapas are always small in portion.

¡Buen provecho!

Saludos, MadridMan :p

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33113 - 06/13/06 03:33 PM Re: Free Tapas?
big jamon Offline

Loc: boston area
more likely in the "local" bars instead of the touristy bars.
we've been offered "interesting" items, seemingly as a "rite of passage" e.g. orejas, morcilla, squid eggs...ate them before asking what they were and we were recognized the next evening and treated like a regular...

#33114 - 06/13/06 04:08 PM Re: Free Tapas?
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I agree, Granada is on top of the list! At one place at the bottom of the Albaicin, they actually gave free bocadillos made to order! we were in heaven.
In Madrid you will get a tasty morsel (literally) in most bars!
Have fun!

#33115 - 06/14/06 05:46 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Rob in Madrid Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
You always get something with your drink, usually some olives or chips. If you go outside of the city than chances are you'll get more or if your a regular. BTW this doesn't apply to your cafe con leche in the morning only beer or wine in the evening.

#33116 - 06/14/06 06:20 AM Re: Free Tapas?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Even in the terrazas in Madrid's Plaza de Chueca we were always (just last month, I think) given a plate of something with our first beer order in the afternoon. I've found the free tapa in the afternoon (either just before the lunch hour or just after) more common than not. In the evening, however, that might be a different story depending on the bar/terraza. In fact, I can't remember the last place which did NOT give a free tapa with our beer. A couple weeks ago we were at a terraza on Madrid's Plaza Santa Ana at about 4pm and we got a free tapa/plate of olives, I think.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#33117 - 06/14/06 10:59 AM Re: Free Tapas?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Kitty (from PA) writes:
Quote:
I read a post about free tapas. Is that true or just for pretty girls?
It's not just for pretty girls! eek

It's not unusual for the Barman to serve a small appetizer with your drink (ex. 2-Boquerones or olives or potato chips). You can odrer a Tapa which is a larger portion, or media ración or una ración of whatever he has displayed under glass on the countertop. Or, he will open a can of anchoas o mejillones if you order a ración. rolleyes

In Toledo, at Taberna Ruan across from the Mozarabe Renfe Station, I ordered a Bocadillo de Jamon for my son: he was quite amazed when Rodolfo sliced the ham from one that was hanging from the rafters. He said that was the best ham sandwich he had ever eaten. cool

#33118 - 06/17/06 01:07 PM Re: Free Tapas?
La Profa Offline

Loc: Milwaukee, WI USA
I find this discussion interesting on how tapas vary from region to region, city to city. I also find it sad to see that tapas are becoming less and less in some places. frown
Luckily tapas are still the norm in my husband's home town, León. It is the norm that every bar serves some tapa PER drink (usually beer and wine). So every time you order a "tinto de verano" (for example), you get a tapa. The Leoneses would complain if they didn't get a free tapa with each drink and the bar owners know that the clients go to the places with the best tapas. So any bar that wants to make money tries to have the best tapas. Tapas in León include patatas (ali oli, bravas and chips), champiñones al ajillo, sopa de ajo, sopa de trucha, croquetas, morcilla, queso curado, anchoas, pizza, garbanzos, tortilla, etc. The list goes on and on.
The times for tapas are (approximately) from 1 pm-3:30 pm and 8:30 pm-11 pm. Or just ask if they are still serving tapas or not. Some of the best places are in the "barrio húmedo" (the wet quarter). A place not to miss if you're in León! cloud9

#33119 - 06/18/06 07:38 PM Re: Free Tapas?
liz49 Offline

Loc: Cleveland, OH
This makes me want to visit Leon! Actually, it's been on my "to see" list for a while now--now even more reasons to go!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments