Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32870 - 01/31/06 03:58 AM Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MikeNSwiss Offline

Loc: Switzerland
Hello and Greetings from Switzerland!

My name is Michael and I am a USA guy, born in Connecticut, and have recently moved to Switzerland from San Francisco to be with my Swiss partner.

I am planning my first trip to Madrid for 4 days long (barely) with an old college friend of mine who will be visiting us here in Switzerland from Boston soon. We both are in our early 40s. My friend, Adriana, was born in Bogota, Columbia, -- and so Spanish speaking will not be a problem for us -- I also speak a little Spanish as well.

I am gay and my friend, well, she is not. Not that this makes a big deal...but maybe in your suggestions??!

Anyway, we both like to venture out for some food, drink and entertainment! We are hoping to find some Flamingo dancing and music performance too!

So, any suggestions from you would be great!

So, thank you in advance for any help with any of the above.

Sincerely yours and best,
Michael

PS: Also if I can help anyone with their trip plans to Switzerland let me know..The Swiss are incredibly respectful and responsible -- very refreshing from growing up in the US, and, the Swiss culture and its natural beauty is spectacular.

PPS: Feel free to email me at my personal email address as well! MKentSF@yahoo.com MKentSF@yahoo.com

#32871 - 01/31/06 04:52 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Mike, which month are we talking about?. Madrid is a completely different place depending on the time of the year you visit it. This is not the coast where wheather doesn't change much or as much.

#32872 - 01/31/06 07:43 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MikeNSwiss Offline

Will be arriving in Madrid Fwebuary 20th for 4 days....

#32873 - 01/31/06 11:26 PM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
Mike:

I know I am going to hate myself for what I am about to say, but please take it in the humorous vein that is intended.

If you want to see flamingo dancing, you must go to Chueca. If, on the other hand, you want to see flamenco, then I recommend Casas Patas.

#32874 - 02/01/06 01:31 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MikeNSwiss Offline

Opps! Guess I really need some direction!!!
I will check out Casas Patas for the Flamenco. Thank you. Otherwise, I will be looking at Pink Flamingos in the hood of Chueca. Many Thanks and keep the tips up. Cheers! Michael

#32875 - 02/01/06 03:02 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
pim_on_tour Offline

Loc: Basel, Switzerland
Hi Mike!!!

Aaaaahhh! You're a Godsend!

I'm a Spaniard who's moving to Basel in less than two weeks with my Finnish fiance. Where are you based?

We could use some pointers, indeed!

Anyway,

I can propose you a plan for one of the nights;

Do head down to calle Libertad, it's in Chueca and it's a little street full of all sorts of eateries you can imagine; there are nice inexpensive chic fusion restos (La Coqueta, Bazaar,...), traditional Spanish ones (Bocaíto, Carmencita,...), super-trendy ones (Dosa Grill Café,...), a "charity-NGO-type" one (Kolabora), a Cafe with entertainment (Libertad 8...), Asian food, Mexican food....
(Ideally, you would have a couple of pre-dinner tapas over drinks at Bocaíto and then dine at one of the chic restaurants.)

And the parallel streets are not bad too...I'm thinking calle Barbieri with Al-Haima, and Arab restaurant, or the very Spanish Casa Salvador.

After dinner, head down to the nearby calle de la Reina, for a couple of drinks at the exclusive bar Le Cock (cl. Reina 16), and continue sampling the best cocktails in town at Don Diego (cl. Reina 12).

I've loved the expression "flamingo dancing" by the way! cool

wave

#32876 - 02/01/06 10:32 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MikeNSwiss Offline

Thank you for the great suggestions for a night out in the neighborhood of Cheuca, Madrid! Many thanks!

Anyone, please feel free to keep the stellar suggestions coming. We have 3 nights and almost 4 days in wonderful Madrid.

I would love to be of any help that I can. I live with my partner in the Canton of Solothurn (north-central Switzerland). We are about 1 hour away from Basel. We do have a few good friends that live in Basel and I would be happy to pass on any information or questions that you may have to them directly -- and then probably your name and email info too.

I am working today, so I will keep my reply brief for the moment. But I do plan on giving you any help that I can. So let me know more specifically what I can do, or what you need.

Also, a big congratulations on getting married soon and all.

Cheers for now,
Michael
Solothurn, Switzerland

#32877 - 02/02/06 08:34 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
The_Keeper Offline

Sorry but do I read your question correctly? You are looking for some flamingo dancing?? wink

You want to see a whole load of pink birds on stage!!! eek

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#32878 - 02/02/06 10:55 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
The_Keeper Offline

Found a link where you can see some flamingo dancing. gotcha

http://artanuk.atspace.com/Dancing_birds/ballet_dancing_flamingos_cartoon.html

Like Books? Check out www.bookcrossing.com

#32879 - 02/03/06 03:46 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
pim_on_tour Offline

Mike,

Do not pay any attention to The Keeper, he's just....the guy I'm going to marry! :o , how scary is that? wink
:p

But anyway,

Since you mention in your first post you'd like to maybe see some shows (besides the Flamenco); two more options would have to include:

The district of La Latina, where for pre-dinner drinks (plenty of great places for wine sampling!) and dinner, you have loads of places to choose from along Cava Baja and Cava Alta and the whole general area: El Viajero, El Almendro, Delic, Los Huevos de Lucio, La Escondida, La Taberna de los Cien Vinos, El Tempranillo,....(I'm sure the Madridmaners can suggest their own favoutite La Latina hang out), and end up at: www.berlincabaret.com for their 1:30AM daily show (different every day of the week).

The Huertas district (also known as 'de Las Letras' or 'de Las Cortes'); an area that has been widely discussed on these forums overtime, (so you should find lots of info doing a search). The nicest eateries would include: the two Maceiras, Casa Alberto, Arrocería Gala, El Abuelo, etc... For bars: España Cañí, Los Gabrieles, Viva Madrid, La Venencia, Matador,...and you have the option of checking out the salad bar and show at: www.gulagula.net. Surely each Madridmaner has its own personal recommendations for this hood as well.

Important note: I've only mentioned places for Spanish food and/or tapas; I've left out the wide offer of Cuban, Russian, Peruvian, Japonese, Mexican, Escandinavian, Argentinian or Italian restaurants available...

Bye for now! wave

#32880 - 02/04/06 05:07 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
Jerezano Offline

Loc: Fez/Jerez
Most of the recommendations I´ve seen here are for touristy "Flamingo shows" (exactly!) However, Madrid has the best Flamenco scene outside of Andalucia as many performers, for example from my hometown of Jerez, go to Madrid on a regular basis to work. If you can navigate through the Spanish, try www.tristeyazul.com, get to the main page, and click on the link "Cartelera". There are quite a good number of good venues, such as the peña flamenca "El Duende" or Sala El Juglar in Lavapies. Not all of it is going to be flamenco dance, but it will be "auntentico"!

#32881 - 02/05/06 10:26 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
Andrés Offline

Mike have you considered a day trip to Toledo?

#32882 - 02/05/06 10:42 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MikeNSwiss Offline

Andres:
We would like to consider a day trip to Toledo...
Do have a suggestion for us?

#32883 - 02/05/06 10:45 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MikeNSwiss Offline

Berzabuena:

Many thanks for the tips onnon-touristy Flamenco viewing. My best friend who will be travelling with me is a Columbiana, so navigating Spanish will be easy. Thank you again for all your help.
Cheers! Michael

#32884 - 02/05/06 07:06 PM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
MrWonderful Offline

Hola todos! Soy musico de Irlanda y ahora vivo en Madrid, estoy buscando un bar/cafe en donde es posible tocar un concierto, solo yo y la guitarra. Tengo mucho experiencia tocando en vivo en Irlanda. Toco como blues,country/folk y pop. Ademas tengo un monton de canciones originales. Can anybody steer me in the right direccion? Soy prof de Ingles tambien(CLARO). Realmente creo que el mundo deberia escuchar mi musica! He estado practicando casi un anyo y estoy bastante preperado. Por fi! Ayudame
El Country T

#32885 - 02/06/06 04:21 AM Re: Madrid: Food, drink and entertainment: and some Flamingo dancing and music please!
Andrés Offline

My suggestion is that you stop considering the trip and start planning it. You just need to catch the bullet train at the Atocha station and a historical map/bookguide of the city. I recommend you the map of Toledo La Libreria (Mayor st, 80) sells.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2212 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments