Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#3282 - 12/31/01 06:12 AM Madrid: Jan.28, Urgent help!
shaboo Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi I have just been notified that the company I work for in Australia is going across to Spain for the International Tourism Fair. We are arriving on the 28th January, 2001 but late at night, I feel that maybe accommodation close to the airport would be best for this night. Our arrangements have been made for the 29th and 30th, however we are extending our stay and need to find accommodation up to the 3rd February. I have searched many different sites for the best accomm. but it just confuses me more. I dont even know what we are going to see in Madrid. Can anyone offer some advise to this silly Aussie. We would like to fit in as much as possible whilst there. PLEASE HELP!! confused

G'day its me again, sorry I'm not very good with this message board thing. I thought I would mention that I need a reasonably priced accommodation.

I have just found out it is going to be freezing in Madrid in January, are the hotels heated??? Do most people speak english?? Are there any day tours??? Geez I do need help dont I??? confused

[ 01-04-2002: Message edited by: MadridMan ]

#3283 - 01/01/02 09:24 AM Re: Madrid: Jan.28, Urgent help!
lowell Offline

Loc: New Jersey, USA
We just returned from a wonderful time in Spain over the holidays. In Madrid we stayed at the NH National Hotel on Paseo del Prado-very nice--about $80/nite, double. Also the Hotel Mora (has been recommended on this site) looked very nice and is cheaper--about $60/nite. Its also on Paseo del Prado. Both are very convenient to Metro and main Atocha train station.
Trapsatur/GrayLine has lots of tours--both city and day tours of outlying attractions such as Toledo, Segovia, Escorial--most hotels have the brochure and book the tours for you. Madrid Vision is a continuous off/on bus tour of Madrid with recorded commentary--it has stops all over town and you will see the buses. Just get on and they will sell you a ticket on the bus--it has several routes and you can shift from one route to the other to cover all the city attractions--we took this the first day and found it very helpful to orient ourselves and it helped us decide where we wanted to go on our own by metro etc.
Weather was colder in Madrid than normal over holidays--50's F and we did have 2-3 in. of snow one day which they say is unusual. However, with a warm winter coat, it was fine being out walking around.
People are very helpful friendly, and easy going, and you will find a number that speak English, particularly younger people. Many menus have Engish translation.

#3284 - 01/02/02 05:39 AM Re: Madrid: Jan.28, Urgent help!
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Your 'late at night' arrival is 'relative.' Supper time in Madrid is 10:30 PM and that's when 'de noche' (at night) begins. rolleyes

Shaboo writes:
Quote:
... I thought I would mention that I need a reasonably priced accommodation.
I have just found out it is going to be freezing in Madrid in January, are the motels heated??? Do most people speak english?? Are there any day tours??? Geez I do need help dont I??? ...

1. Try http://www.hotelsearch.com
2. Most hotels / motels will have central heat
3. 'most people' do not speak English but if you are in a 3-star hotel, you may expect that there will always be someone who speaks English there
4. You can 'book' day tours to nearby towns (Toledo, Segovia, el Escorial) or a tour of Madrid (day or night). TrapSATur is one of the tour companies. Don't moss the Palacio Réal (royal palace) or the Prado museum.

There are also aboutr 17 Irish Pubs in Madrid in case you get homesick. For local beer, I like Mahou. Have a great time in Madrid! laugh

[ 01-02-2002: Message edited by: Eddie ]

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments