Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#32816 - 12/30/05 01:19 PM Kid friendly food????
monicasometimes Offline

Loc: Upstate NY
My children, especially my twins, are used to typical North American fare. I know there are McD's and pizza joints there (in Toledo) as my husband already scouted them out for the boys *they inherited his eating habits I'm afraid* but they can't eat that crap for an extended period. I'm curious as to what other travellers with children recommend for kid friendly food? Is/was there something that your kids really enjoyed? I really want to expose them to the a variety of foods and am hoping others can give me an idea as to what their kids enjoyed while in Spain...I'm hoping if I start them out on a 'for sure' thing that they will be more eager to try other items on the menu...kwim? My older child is an adventurous eater...my twins...not so much. frown

#32817 - 12/30/05 03:37 PM Re: Kid friendly food????
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I don't have any kids yet (but am well on the way!)...however do have some suggestions for "kid friendly food".

1. Tortilla Española. Essentially a potato and egg omelette which you will find in any bar in Spain. My 4 year old nephew and 8 year old niece love it everytime their "tío" makes it for them.

2. Queso semi curado. My niece is a really picky eater but she does like the cheese that I bring to her from Spain. I think the aged cheese (curado) might be a bit strong in taste for the kids.

3. Ensaladilla Rusia. Essentially a potato salad with lots of yummy things such as hard boiled eggs, carrots, peas, tuna, etc.

You didn't mention how old your kids were so my recommendations were geared towards those with toddlers.

If your kids are older, you might have them try patatas bravas (roasted potatoes with a spicy sauce), calamares fritos (fried squid)... Madridman's favorite in a sandwich (bocadillo).

Lomo (roast pork)...but you might want to avoid the lomo adobado which might be a bit strong on the paprika for the kids. Likewise with the chorizo sausage which I love.

Paella is always an easy dish since most kids like rice. They might be turned off by seeing the shrimp with the heads on, but you can always pick them out.

Have a great trip! I wouldn't waste the time in American fast food restaurants when there are so many great and delicious Spanish dishes to try!

Oh! For breakfast they must have the churros con chocolate!

#32818 - 12/30/05 07:04 PM Re: Kid friendly food????
meencantaespana Offline

I am an extremely picky eater so when I went to Spain the first time I lost 5 lbs. in two weeks which is pretty noticeable on a 100 lb frame. Therefore the second time around, I brought some stuff. Why don't u bring easy things since these are twins (I am guessing they are younger) bring mac and cheese in a box and simple stuff..they will try new stuff but I found it hard to fill up on some of the foods so you can just make something easy while also trying new foods AND avoiding mcdonalds..

#32819 - 12/30/05 07:38 PM Re: Kid friendly food????
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Monicasometimes, your picky eaters may find something surprising they like in Spain! There are so many flavors they've probably never tried before. They may like croquetas (croquettes with bits of ham, usually) or empanadillas (savory filled pastries - often with a mild tuna filling). The fruit in Spain is wonderful - always very flavorful. (Have you seen the adorable TV commercial here in the States of a few little Spanish kids shooting a clementine across the ocean to some American kids with a slingshot?) I'm always surprised at how many children like soups with beans, and the Spanish are experts at excellent soups. Roasted chicken is always delicious and served with home made fries - a pretty safe dish for kids. Good luck!

Chica, ENHORABUENA! When are you due???

#32820 - 12/30/05 08:20 PM Re: Kid friendly food????
monicasometimes Offline

meencantaespana: My husband can relate to your experience. He has been there since early December and has been starving...he just can't handle the food, between being picky and suffering chronic heatburn, the man is hurting seriously. He said he's down to 165 from his usual 180. How do men lose weight so fast!!!? I've been trying for 5 years to lose the last 10lbs of twin weight!

We will be living in a house so I will be able to cook but I would still like the kids to experience the flavors of spain...kwim? I will definitely have to pack a few favorites.

Thanks everyone for the ideas...it sounds as though there will be a few items on the menu that the twins will enjoy especially the croquettes and the churros con chocolate...yummm

#32821 - 12/30/05 11:12 PM Re: Kid friendly food????
desert dweller Offline

Loc: Desert of Arizona
Monicasometimes: The problem is not will they eat it, the problem is after they try it will you be able to get them to stop eating. Flan is always a favorite of anyone that has tried it. The single worst thing that ever happened to me health wise, was the Air Force sending me to Spain. When I went I was a teenager that knew a lot more than I do at 53. I made up my mind that I was going to try those foods even if it came back up right away. Three years and 35 pounds later I was transfered back stateside. As far as your old man and his heartburn is concerned, he needs to walk into any Farmacia and tell them what the problem is, they will take care of him. If you are going to be preparing meals at home, I think when you start getting those fresh veggies and fruit on a daily basis you will notice a change in your childrens eating habits. I think the first time you crack open an egg and notice the yoke is a deep orange not that puetrid yellow like here, then taste the difference, your little ones will come around. I don't know how long you are going to be in Spain but can you imagine after being there a while then comeing back to the states one of them saying "Mom this food is gross, I want to go back to Spain." Could happen. wink wink Good luck and enjoy.

#32822 - 12/31/05 09:04 AM Re: Kid friendly food????
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
There are incredible desserts in Spain like flan and natillas (both are made with milk, egg, sugar and cinamon), arroz con leche (rice, milk, sugar and cinamon), tarta de Santiago (almonds cake),...

Nobody has mentioned pasta, which makes a major part of our regular eatings nonetheless, specially maccaroni with tomato and chorizo. Chorizo? Every kid likes it, along with salchichón, sausages, cheese from Burgos (very soft), and serrano cured ham. I remember wonderful bocadillos of them...

Did I mentioned bocadillos? Yes, two halves of french bread cut along and filled with that stuff, or others, like tuna with red peppers, spanish omelette, lomo adobado, or even chocolate!

It will be a crime not to taste an orange juice smile

As for rices, you may try a sure champion: arroz con tomate (rice with tomato, olive oil and garlic) and arroz abanda (like paella without fish and seafood pieces in it). Which leads us to seafood and fishes, try gambas al ajillo (small prawns with garlic), lenguado, merluza or rape (shave). And also patatas alioli (potatoes with mahonese with garlic) or patatas bravas (potatoes with a spicy tomato sauce).

And meat: cordero (roasted lamb), steak, roasted chicken,...

There are an infinity of things to taste in Spain, of which kids like many of them. You should try to drive them wisely to taste those things.

As you know them, you can try things first and you will instantly know what they'll think of them.

Good luck and let us know your experience!

Fernando

PD: I can give you the recipe of any of the dishes above smile

#32823 - 12/31/05 09:11 AM Re: Kid friendly food????
monicasometimes Offline

Fernando:
Thanks...your recommendations sound wonderful! I'm sure, after reading this thread, my children will love the food.

I notice from your profile that you live in Madrid. Perhaps you can help me with another issue we are facing right now with regard to our rental home. We have finally, after many phone calls, got the power turned on in our rental home but apparently there is no fuse in the fuse holder at the house. My husband has been searching high and low to find a fuse for this holder and no one seems to know where he can get one...it seems like such a small item but he is completely stumped. Where would one find a fuse for an electrical fuse holder and how does one determine what type of fuse goes in. Any ideas?

Desert dweller:

You are probably right about how my boys' preference for food will change. We are going for 3-6 months and I'm sure they will get used to it and probably prefer it after awhile. Fresh food is always so much better as opposed to packaged stuff that has been sitting on the shelf for months!

#32824 - 12/31/05 09:22 AM Re: Kid friendly food????
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Let us see:

The one who rented you the house should provide it completely equipped. Try talking to him/her.

If you have to handle it yourself, I think I have only seen a kind of fuses in Spain in my whole life. You must find a "tienda de electricidad" (electricity shop) or a "ferretería" and ask for a "fusible".

Still, ask your neighbours if they have one or if they can let you know how is the fuse and where to buy it (they may give them one to you if they have an extra one).

Anf finally, if you aren't able to get it that way, try to call an "electricista" (electrician) to solve the problem. Your neighbours can help you with the language, I'm sure.

Not only I live in Madrid, I'm from Madrid and have lived here for my whole life wink

Fernando

#32825 - 12/31/05 09:28 AM Re: Kid friendly food????
monicasometimes Offline

Thanks Fernando!

I have forwarded your response to my husband...hopefully he will solve the problem before I get there...LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments