Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#32792 - 12/22/05 04:11 PM Spanish Red Wine Help
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
I would like to serve a Spanish red wine with a Roast Leg of Lamb for our Christmas Dinner. Any suggestions on variety and vintner? I need to purchase it here in the USA.

#32793 - 12/22/05 04:54 PM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
My personal favorite is Marques de Riscal Reserva.
It's a widely available Rioja for $15-$20.

#32794 - 12/22/05 06:18 PM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
gsobotta,

I'm rather partial to Solaz. It's a very mild wine and I buy it at either an ethnic, Italian grocery like Nino Savaggio's or Randazzo's and I've even seen it at party stores with a large selection of wine. Usually about $9.95 a bottle.

#32795 - 12/22/05 07:19 PM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
gsobotta,
I like dry light red wines like Mongo's Marqués de Riscal Reserva, or Marquéz de Cáceres. But with lamb you can also have a more robust red like Torres Gran Sangre de Toro. About the same price. All are under twenty dollars at most wine stores.

Buen gusto,
Carmen

#32796 - 12/22/05 07:32 PM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I'd love to make a suggestion but before you need to find out what Spanish reds are available to you locally. These things changes greatly around the States, although the ones already mentioned are fairly widely marketed and you shouldn't have any trouble finding them.

They are all perfectly fine choices, but if I had to pick I'd go with the riojas mentioned or even the Sangre de Toro.

#32797 - 12/22/05 11:07 PM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I just discovered that MadridMan has a wonderful section on Spanish Wines in his portal! You may want to visit it before you buy.

#32798 - 12/23/05 03:19 PM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
gazpacho Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Macomb, MI U.S.
gsobotta,

I just noticed that you are a fellow Michigander. They ought to have a Nino's or a Randazzo's on your side of Detroit. If not, come over to the east side. But Parkway party store on 16Mile and Groesbeck has better prices and most of the time a better selection including all those listed above.

Uh, oh MadridMan. I'm not advertising. I'm just a customer, frequent though I might be smile at these fine establishments. Just trying to be helpful.

#32799 - 12/24/05 07:12 AM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
gsobotta Offline

Loc: Novi, MIchigan, USA
Thank you everyone for your help. I decided on Marques De Riscal Rioja Reserva 2000. It should work very well with my roasted leg of lamb marinated in red wine, Spanish olive oil, herbs de Provence and garlic. We wanted something other than turkey, so our Christmas Dinner will have a Mediterranean flavor. Merry Christmas Everyone.

#32800 - 12/25/05 06:15 AM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Altos de Luzón 2002 (Jumilla) is my latest discovery. I tried it for the first time two weeks ago and seven people agreed it was a blast. I you have the chance dont let it go.

Juan Gil, from the same region (Jumilla) is also making a lot of noise:

http://dat.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=76886

Andres

#32801 - 12/28/05 09:11 AM Re: Spanish Red Wine Help
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Andres -
Thanks for the info and link. There's a Spanish wine loving family that owns a small market near me - and I just printed out your part of this post to pass on to him. With luck perhaps he will get some of the Altos de Luzon or Bodegas Juan Gil ....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2717 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments