Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32751 - 11/15/05 12:22 AM Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
While munching a plate of Jamon Iberico Bellota with friends in La Posada de la Villa, one of my Spanish friends told me that it was proven in a study to lower cholesterol levels. Since then, I have done some basic research and found that due to high levels of oleic acid, it raises the level of good (HDL) and lowers the level of bad (LDL) cholesterol.

I checked with a dietitian and I was told that it was very possible, considering that they ate only acorns for their entire lives. The type of fat depends on what they are fed.

Has anyone else heard of this or am I living in a wishful fantasy?

#32752 - 11/15/05 04:56 PM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I HOPE you're right, Mongo. Sometimes I worry about my own health if someday I would live in Spain and having that wonderful jamon iberico (etcetera) at my disposal. But I guess this is something that people usually only eat for special occasions because it's so expensive.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#32753 - 11/16/05 02:45 AM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
Eli99 Offline

Loc: Israel
Sounds right to me: oleic acid is definitely good for your HDL; jamon contains oleic acid; add 2 and 2 - you get 4!

Incidentaly, antioxidants which are found in the skin of red wine grapes (e.g. resveratrol, saponin etc) have a similar effect. The unavoidable result: health cliniques for cholesterol treatment, where breakfast consists only jamon & red wine!

Please help: are jamon Iberico and Jamon Serrano the same thing? If not, what's the difference?

#32754 - 11/16/05 11:03 AM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
Torrales Offline

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
Please help: are jamon Iberico and Jamon Serrano the same thing? If not, what's the difference?
Not really. You will find three denominations, which are mutually inclusive:

- Jamon Serrano is all cured ham.
- A subset of Jamon Serrano is Jamon Iberico, which is cured ham made out of the legs of a variety (race) of pigs called Cerdo Iberico. This pigs have black and hairy skin, that is why the ham made out of their legs is commonly known as "pata negra".
- And finally, a subset of Jamon Iberico is Jamon Iberico de Bellota, what means that the pig has been fed mainly with acorns (and definitely not artificial food) during its entire life.

The lower in the above list, the higher the price and the quality.

#32755 - 11/16/05 06:33 PM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
miles Offline

Loc: atlanta georgia usa
It's good eatin'. With picos and Cruz Campo. Wait. We talkin 'bout ham, right?

#32756 - 11/17/05 12:18 AM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
Eli99 Offline

Loc: Israel
Torrales:

Thanks for the clarification. BTW being thus knowledgeable, could you please help with the following: Where in Madrid would you buy jamon, preferably sliced thin but also professionally packed? Similar question about buying wine... Do you have a favourite wine store in Madrid? I will be spending a short vacation there, staying in the Sol-Mayor area, and would like to bring back home with me these foodstuffs.

Gracias! Eli

#32757 - 11/17/05 01:02 AM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have always had good luck with the men behind the counter at both the Museo del Jamon and El Corte Ingles. They both are very helpful in packing things to go home, although being American, obviously Jamon is out of the question. Just let them know you will be traveling. My best bet with cheese is to get the whole cheese as they are availible in various sizes, already sealed in plastic.

I think that Museo del Jamon is a bit cheaper and I noticed signs on my last trip that they are vacuum packing items for travelers to take home. This would give them the edge in my book.

#32758 - 11/17/05 05:33 AM Re: Jamon Iberico and Cholesterol
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
Those places that Mongo has mentioned are alright, but I think you can get better quality products at the same price range in a typical Spanish market.

Most young adults have forgotten about these places and head out to the supermarkets to stock up for the whole month, but these spots, apart from being a very traditional place to buy your fresh goods, has a unique feel to them, kind of like going back in time before everything got so modern, before mobile phones and laptops, I love to shop there. You'll find that most elder folks still shop there and usually the quality and the prices are very good.

There are still quite a number of them, I don't know where your hotel is at, but I'm sure if you ask the receptionist they will be able to indicate you where is the closest one is.

Just a few pointers: There are good and bad markets, some which are big and have a lot to offer and others which are weathering down, try to avoid the last ones if possible. The mercados de Chamberi and Chamartin are excelent, but there's plenty more, i think there's one in La Latina which is also very well known.

Just don't buy your groceries at the first shop you see, look around, find the bargains, and find the type of quality you're looking for.

if it's jamon you want, it's kind of like buying wines, someone already mentioned the tip of the iceberg about the different varieties of jamon, but you might want to keep in mind the following:

The darker color means that it's a bit dry (some people like it like that)
Any cracks or creases in the meat means it's too dry, don't buy.

Make sure the fat is very white, yellowish fat means the leg is a bit old-don't buy.

Try to choose pieces that has fat interlaced with the meat, that makes is juicier -also more expensive-but worth it.

If the jamon de bellota or iberico just doesn't fit your budget you might want to try Palletilla de bellota or iberica. it's the front legs instead of the hind ones, if they haven't over done it with the salt it is excellent also.

Oh- about the shop keeper, don't let them fool you. Make sure you tell them the exact amount you want and keep an eye on them, because they will always try to serve you a little bit over what you requested, so be very specific when you order.

Some of these shops have machines that air-lock and heat seal your orders, so that it will last longer and won't spoil. Ask for it, because usually it's free of charge.

Just to make things a little more complicated, in the iberian and bellota varieties you can choose between different regions - Jabugo, Guijuelo, or from Extremadura, each has a different procedure for their smoked ham, tastes are different - so make sure you try them all!!!

As in regards to a good wine store, there is one particular wine shop which I like very much, called Santa Cecilia, the prices are usually much cheaper than anywhere else. Their selection is absolutely marvelous, and there are two stores that I know of, one is on C/Blasco de Garay 74, and the other is at Bravo Murillo next to the gas station (sorry can't recall the number).

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3014 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments