MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#32621 - 10/12/05 01:24 PM Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
I saw this on another website and posting here in case you are interested and it is free. I just order it today.

http://www.winesfromspainusa.com/WFSUSA/Guide/WineGuide.htm

Bill

#32622 - 10/12/05 05:41 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
I just ordered mine too! Thanks for the notice! Let´s compare notes here in this thread when it arrives and we have time to study int. ¿Vale?

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#32623 - 10/13/05 08:53 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Madridman

When you fly back from Spain, do you bring back some wine?

This trip I brought back six bottles this trip. Five bottles of Rioja wine I bought, I spent 80 euros on. The sixth was given to me by the owner of Hostal Acapulco.

I have some great Spainish wine for the special holidays we have coming up in the U.S. Even better I have some great Spanish wine for this Thanksgiving. laugh

Bill

#32624 - 10/13/05 10:15 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
This is ICEX's big bet to simplify the sometimes confusing Spanish wine scene. Instead of all the different wine regions (denomicanion de origen), they want to band them all under one flag called "wines from Spain". It's a bit controversial among the wine regions because the good ones feel they will lose out because they will be lumped together with other lower quality wines.

I'll have to have someone send a copy to an address in the States. I'd like to take a look at that too.

Thanks Bill

#32625 - 10/13/05 10:57 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Quote:
This is ICEX's big bet
Can you give me some info what the ICEX is?

Thanks

BIll

#32626 - 10/13/05 06:04 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Sure. ICEX is the Instituto de Comercio Exterior, or Spain's foreign trade bureau. It's an official organism that works to promote Spanish products abroad. They are behind many of the special wine tastings and fairs you come across in the States. Obviously ICEX doesn't just promote wine.

The idea of "Wines from Spain" has been toyed with for several years now. Spain was concerned (and with good reason) about the rising popularity of wines from other contries like Chile, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa. These are the so-called New World wines, and they are often good and cheap.

Spain is one of those rising stars, and exports to the US continue to grow steadily. But progress has been slower than expected and in some ways quite a bit slower than the other countries. This was sort of surprising because considering Spain's turnaround and its history, things should have been brighter. It's sort of like when you open the door and your dogs race in from under your feet and eat your sandwich.

One reason people felt Spain had difficulty selling abroad was an identity problem. No one knew where to start. The confusing appellation system, where every region has a different name, made identifying a Spanish wine difficult. Maybe people still don't know Freixenet is Spanish (or should I say Catalan! Just kidding Fernando wink ). Commercial experts suggested promoting wines under one name - the country - to avoid confusion. I believe Chile does something like this. It's easier for people to associate the wine with a country rather than some obscure D.O. like Ribera del Guadiana (which is in Extremadura)

There is definitely some logic there, but also some debate. Countries like France and Italy use similar systems to Spain and don't have an image problem at all. I can't understand all the Chateaux this and Chateaux that, and yet, that doesn't affect French marketing. French wine is also much more expensive and shakier in quality. Italy has undergone a similar wine revolution to the one felt in Spain and the boom in the States was huge.

But that may be only part of the problem: Australian wines for example are often quite good and reasonably priced (they are also often sold in magnum bottles 1.5 liters - something which Spain doesn't exploit very well). In Spain, wine is very reasonably priced, but much of it goes sky high when it reaches the States. Some of that has to do with distrbution and tariffs, but when a 10 euro albariño goes for $60 at a restaurant, you begin to wonder what's going on. Wineries will also sell their most expensive stuff to countries like the US. I'm still talking in very general terms here, 'cause I know there is a lot of good cheap Spanish wine in the States too. But the competetive price is a concern that has been voiced by wineries on numerous occasions.

The debate doesn't end there. As I mentioned before, resistence has also been met by the major winemakers in Spain. Regions like Rioja, Ribera del Duero or Priorat can stand on their own two feet and don't really want their wine confused with some ordinary stuff from God-knows-where (I'm a big proponent of many smaller wine regions, by the way, but have to admit that quality consistency does slip at those levels).

So, I know ICEX is behind the campaign, you can check the home page for more. What I don't know is how extensive the "Wines from Spain" is. Most of these regions will also want freedom to roam and promote on their own.

As for the guide, well, let me know what you think. Remember ICEX is there to promote Spanish wine, so everything should sound perfect and spotless and wonderful and all that. But that's OK, a little embellishing never hurt anyone. Plus, Spain deserves a little more attention in this area.

On top of that, it's a free guide! Compliments of the Zapatero Government, I guess! wink

Well, as usual, I was trying to be brief, but I'm a hopeless case.

#32627 - 10/17/05 07:14 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
janel Offline

Thanks Bill and Murdy for the info,
I have ordered my copy too. Will be interesting to see how they are marketing it to the US. I'll have to wait till I go there to get my copy though...
Also in case anyone is interested, a good friend of mine has started an English language site about Spanish (and Portuguese wines) Right now I am helping him translate into English the forecast for the 2005 harvest in the varying regions (effect of drought, etc) There are also tasting notes, interviews and stuff like that.
Its at www.catavino.net
Salud!
J.

#32628 - 12/09/05 11:02 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Did anyone get their copy yet? It been almost two months since I order and now I expect nothing.

I guess I cannot complain about something that is for free.

Bill

#32629 - 12/10/05 02:13 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
One of the major problems with Spain is that the country does not market itself enough, especially here in the US to make it more familiar with the public. When Spain hosted the Olympics in 1992 as well as the Expo in Sevilla, there really wasn't that much exposure here in the US regarding travel to Spain. Yes there was some but not enough.

After everything that Spain has gone through in the past thirtysome odd years regarding it's growth and progress in Europe and the world you'd think that they would market themselves better, especially to a country with big bucks like the US!

Here in California, we're very savy about wine. Of course we're very partial to the excellent wine regions of our state such as Napa, Sonoma, Monterey, Santa Barbara, etc. But wines from Australia and Chile are very popular here, why? ADVERTISEMENT! We have magazines and newpapers writing articles regarding new and upcoming wineries in Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. Italian wines are very popular as well...chianti classico, barolo, valpolicella (my favorite), pinot grigio is very popular here. Very little about Spain, although if you are a wine drinker you know about Spanish wine and those of us in the know enjoy it very much.

My advise to the Spanish government especially the departments in charge of tourism and commerce is to get the word out! Spend some bucks on ads and commericals out here in America. You ask a typical American about Spanish wines and they'll probably think of sherry...maybe!

#32630 - 12/11/05 05:21 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
OsoMayor writes:
Quote:
... wines from Australia and Chile are very popular here, why? ADVERTISEMENT! We have magazines and newpapers writing articles regarding new and upcoming wineries in Australia, New Zealand, Chile and Argentina. Italian wines are very popular as well... Very little about Spain, although if you are a wine drinker you know about Spanish wine and those of us in the know enjoy it very much.
I would change 'ADVERTISEMENT' to 'MARKETING;' because then it might take cost (or price/value) into consideration. And those people who write articles about Chilean wines are just giving the public what it wants. It's not just in California or the U.S. Wine from Chile has taken a significant market share in the U.K. and Ireland. Why? It's good quality and much cheaper than similar products from France or even Spain.

I also see some wines from former Eastern Bloc countries such as Romania being sold here. But they haven't launched any marketing volley to the public, yet ...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments