MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#32651 - 10/01/06 09:11 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
TJGuy Offline

Loc: Florida
Murdy

It is possible the wine is named / bottled for the U.S. market. Everything on the label is in English, using high-brow phrases only used to describe wines; it must be written by a native speaker. BUT, there is a sticker on the bottle with the Consejo Regulador D.O. Navarra with Cosecha 2003, AN No. 95222.

You are correct, it may be bottled in Spain under a name for the U.S. market.

I found another wine and ordered a case. I think it has the odd name of COCO. When I get it, I'll post it here. Again, a good economical Spanish wine you don't have to feel guilty about only drinking 1/2 a bottle.

#32652 - 10/08/06 11:26 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
pedmar Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Morbihan, France
nekeas and Vega Sindoa are spanish wines no doubt; it is purchase in south florida pretty briskly. I am aware of the Spanish wine tastings there under ICEX i went to one at the biltmore hotel in coral gables about 4 yrs ago. There is a wine store use to be by NW 27th that sells a lot but also Crown liquors and ABC stores carry them. I used to live in Miramar;Broward Florida!!!! in New Jersey try Bertelli's in Verona and the best importer is out of SEattle WA wines from spain but i cant recall their names anymore!!!!
well the internet is great i found them!!!sleepless in Seattle here is the link
http://www.classicalwines.com/list.htm they change the name to include other countries: the owners are an American wine importer and his wife is Spanish former tourist board of spain.

#32653 - 10/12/06 03:45 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Quote:
nekeas and Vega Sindoa are spanish wines no doubt
We knew they were Spanish wines, but what we aren't sure about is whether the label Vega Sindoa (that is, the name) is sold in the U.S. only. Sometimes that happens. Wineries will make, name and label their wines to cater to American tastes. OR they will keep the name but change the labels (color, image, etc.) so that it appeals to the American consumer visually. I've located the wines in Spanish guides and magazines, as well as online, but I've never tried it. I'll have to keep an eye out.

As for the COCO, TJGuy, where is it from? Let me know what you think.

#32654 - 10/12/06 10:34 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Today in New York City's Metro I came across an article were you can make you own wine. The gizmo is called a WinePod .

Costs around $2,000 and there is a six month waiting list. Also it look like it is from Star Trek.

For that kind of money I can buy round trip tickets to Spain, buy a few case of my Spainish wines while I in Spain and then shipped them home.

Bill

#32655 - 10/15/06 09:39 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Wow! That looks pretty funky. High-tech stuff aside, there are a number of places which sell wine kits for you to make homemade wine. When I was back in Connecticut this summer, my friend had one and we made Pinot Grigio with some pretty basic elements. The kit comes with everything you need. Unfortunately, the wine was not finished by the time I returned (it takes a few weeks to be ready), but he has since tried it and is still alive, so I guess we did all right after all. I'll see if I can't find the name of the company that sells it...I think you can buy it over the internet.

#32656 - 04/04/07 11:04 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
It seem now Wines from Spain has a newsletter. You can sign up here Signup for Newletter

Also they are still offering the free guidebook, which I have and recommend for those like me that does not know much about the wines from Spain.
Wines from Spain Book

Enjoy

Bill

#32657 - 04/08/07 11:58 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
admiral44 Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Philadelphia, Aruba DWI
Excellent thread!

Here in Philadelphia, there is a restaurant called "AMADA." I've been there several times and they have a very nice selection of Spanish wines and this restaurants versions of tapas to go with them. Both the wines by the glass and the tapas are a bit too expensive but the quality is there. I'll scope the list when next I get there and list them out here.

El Almirante

#32658 - 04/08/07 12:16 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
kelitdedevil Offline

Loc: Salisbury, England
Hey, anybody know anything about Bellota? I was given a bottle by a Spanish friend a couple of years ago ... drinkable, but the other day, I marinaded some pork chops in it. Delicious!

I believe it's distilled from acorns? Can I get it in UK?

#32659 - 04/09/07 10:37 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
Liqor de Bellota is a liquor and is served as an apertif...We don't have it available in the States and so bring it home from our travels to Spain...
It's a special treat and our friends love it...

The marinated pork chops sound yummy, but I don't have enough of the precious stuff to us as a marinade....

#32660 - 05/03/07 01:52 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
megia Offline

Loc: Sedona, Arizona
TJGuy, personally I don't have a single problem with spanish wine producers employing their own Merlot, Cab Sauv, Chardonnay, ' Shirah,' etc... Spanish terroir has yeilded the tastiest Syrah's I've ever had, especially from the area around Tomelloso in La Mancha. Anyway, just makes for more interesting wine products. Purists hate it, but as long as spanish grapes remain the majority in spanish wines, i'll be happy! smile

Murdy, the whole ' Wines from Spain,' ' Spanish Wine Cellar,' and other promotions are unfortunately largely promoting only producers that have the money to buy space or participate in the programs. I know this because I work in the Spanish wine industry and have heard many complaints from producers all over spain regarding this. But, this does not mean that the wine featured is not good... Fortunately and unfortunately, there will always be fantastic wine that's hidden away that only a clandestine few will be able to discover.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3028 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments