Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#32631 - 12/11/05 10:20 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
Quote:
My advise to the Spanish government especially the departments in charge of tourism and commerce is to get the word out! Spend some bucks on ads and commericals out here in America. You ask a typical American about Spanish wines and they'll probably think of sherry...maybe!
I only discover Spanish wines by traveling to Spain. I no expert in wines but I enjoy good wines with good food. I came back on my last trip to Spain with five bottles of Rioja wine. Never heard of Rioja until I saw it mention on Rick Steves travel program when he visited Spain.

Spain is becoming as popular travel destination for Americans, just look at the New York Times travel section, almost every month they have an article on Spain. Some of the regions of Spain can become well know for wine, like Tuscany in Italy if the Spanish government advertise it.

Bill

#32632 - 12/12/05 10:48 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Eddie's quote: "I would change 'ADVERTISEMENT' to 'MARKETING;' because then it might take cost (or price/value) into consideration. And those people who write articles about Chilean wines are just giving the public what it wants."

Bill from NYC's quote: "Some of the regions of Spain can become well know for wine, like Tuscany in Italy if the Spanish government advertise it."

You both proved my point! wink

#32633 - 12/12/05 04:03 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
jabch Offline

I agree that advertisement or marketing will bring prices up. For example one of my favorite "affordable" wines from Spain (available in U.S.) is Marques de Caceres - Cabernet Sauvignon. In the U.S., where is not as popular as in Mexico you can buy it for 7 to 9 dollars at Costo. While in Mexico you have to pay 15 to 20 Dollars for the same bottle. Anyway, even if prices were a little higher I'd like to see more wines from Spain in the U.S. and Mexico.

BTW It seems that nobody received a copy of the book right?

Murdy: if your are still interested you can use my P.O. Box address in the U.S. Just sent me a private message and I will give it to you. I suppose mailing you the book to Spain shouldn't be that expensive.

#32634 - 12/15/05 12:31 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

A co-worker who sits across from me just ask me the same question, because he has not receive his copy yet.

Bill

#32635 - 12/15/05 01:56 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Aside from Capitol Liquors near 10th & New York ave in Washington, D.C., there's a chain in N.J. named Roger Wilco (very popular / strong in south Jersey); but for some reason people don't seem to be interested in wines from Spain. Last year I bought several bottles of a very good Albariño (Denominación de Origen Pontevedra, Galicia) at clearance / Bargain price. This year they have a white wine from Cataluña at similar prices (750ml @ $2.49). They also carry Vinos de Rioja y Rioja Reserva at regular prices.

#32636 - 12/19/05 11:16 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Ryan Opaz Offline

Loc: Madrid
I had mine sent to the states and still nothing. Doesn't surprise me, things go slow here even if they are based somewhere else. As far as Spain getting talked about, I'm getting a ton of questions asked about Spanish wines, the problem is trying to get the Spanish government and Bodegas to realize that promotion leads to sales.
When you talk to wineries here they are very hesistant to offer information unless they know who you are or what you want. Not that I don't understand negative publicity can hurt, on the other hand the more you are talked abou the more people pay attention to you.
Fortunatly people here are starting to realize that publicity can be a good thing, not to mention a new focus on trying to make the "wine routes" more user friendly for travlers.

#32637 - 12/22/05 07:22 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Jabch for your kind offer. I'll be in the States over Xmas and was thinking of ordering one while there, but from what I gather, that just may be a total waste of time. If I change my mind, I'll send you my address. Thanks again.

I'm not terribly surprised by the zero response by ICEX. From some of my experiences with them, it's sort of par for the course. It's a shame because they aren't doing their cause any favors. I just hope the book is worth it when it finally arrives.

With or without the book, you can always go exploring for yourself. My latest recommendation is an old-vine Garnacha red wine called Viña de Miedes. Don't worry if you've never heard of it. It comes from a wine region called D.O. Calatayud (in Aragon). This region is moving quickly and its wines still go for a steal.

A toast to you all for a happy and peaceful Christmas!

#32638 - 01/09/06 07:24 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

I received my copy today! smile

I am impressed with the quality of this book. Photographs are gorgeous looking. The wines are listed by region and goes into detail about each one.

For someone like me who does not know much about Spanish wines, this is an excellent book for information.

If you have not order it, it is free, do it. If you did check your mail.

Bill

#32639 - 01/10/06 06:09 AM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Chica Offline
Executive Member

My brother got the copy that I ordered for him as well. He was very excited about it and was thrilled with the quality of the book. smile

#32640 - 01/10/06 04:39 PM Re: Wines from Spain - US
Puna Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Charlotte, NC. U.S.A.
Got mine a week or two ago - informative on wine but the photos are making me weepy-eyed and home-sick! Very well done quide and am ordering one for a friend who is also in love w/ Spain.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
piedra negra29
Who's Online
0 registered (), 3016 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments