Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#32497 - 07/17/05 11:14 PM Madrid: Best places to eat and shop in or around SOL
jrdelar Offline

Hey all,

My brothers and I are leaving for Spain in August and will be there for the first 2 weeks. First question: Anyone who is there, since everyone is on vacation is it really that empty? I was there a few years ago and had a great time and I want to show my brothers the same fun but will it be completely desolate?

Secondly: Any good places to eat and shop at around Sol? I'm looking for some fairly young places, aka nothing too high class or dressy.

I want to know the best of the best! The best authentic experience!

#32498 - 07/18/05 02:13 AM Re: Madrid: Best places to eat and shop in or around SOL
ggladman Offline

Loc: Barcelona
Hi jrdelar,

If you're planning on being here for the first two weeks of August, you should have better luck than if you were planning on the last two weeks, but you'll still probably find quite a few shops and restaurants that are closed for vacation. At least in Barcelona, more people tend to close during the latter part of the month.

Since most of the locals are on holiday, the percentage of tourists naturally goes up; so while the residential areas might be pretty deserted, many of the tourist-oriented sites and businesses are still open. If there's anywhere specific you want to go, though, I'd make sure you check ahead of time to find out exactly when they'll be closed.

Hope this helps,
Greg

#32499 - 07/19/05 12:05 PM Re: Madrid: Best places to eat and shop in or around SOL
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Hi jrdelar--

Probably one of the best places for nightlife and dining near Sol is the Huertas area. It is chock full of bars, restaurants, and nightspots.

Here is a map of the area so you can see its proximity to Sol. Have fun!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1500 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments