MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32416 - 06/16/05 09:43 AM MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
Hi all,

I just saw a show on the Travel Channel called Passport to Europe with Samantha Brown. She was in Madrid and had lunch at a restaurant called La Barracca (Chueca area I think).

They claim the best Paella in Madrid.

Anyone been there? Opinions? Reviews? Worth seeking out in October when I am there next? Better ideas?

PS - I am starving right now. A little food talk would help a lot!

Spark

#32417 - 06/16/05 10:58 AM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Frommer's online ( here ) has a write-up about La Barraca in Madrid. It states:
Quote:
Cuisine Valencian

Hours Daily 1-4pm and 8:30pm-midnight

Address Reina 29-31

Location On or near the Gran Vía

Transportation Metro: Gran Vía or Sevilla. Bus: 1, 2, or 74

Reservations Reservations recommended

Phone 91-532-71-54

Prices Main courses 12€-20€ ($14-$23)

Credit Cards AE, DC, MC, V

Frommer's Review

La Barraca is like a country inn right off the Gran Vía, and it's a longtime local favorite. The food, frankly, used to be better, but perhaps my tastes have changed since my student days. This Valencian-style restaurant is a well-managed establishment recommended for its tasty Levante cooking. There are four different dining rooms, three of which lie one flight above street level; they're colorfully cluttered with ceramics, paintings, photographs, Spanish lanterns, flowers, and local artifacts. The house specialty, paella a la Barraca, is made with pork and chicken. Specialties in the appetizer category include desgarrat (a salad of cod and red peppers), mussels in a white-wine sauce, and shrimp sautéed with garlic. In addition to the recommended paella, you can select at least 16 rice dishes, including black rice and queen paella. Main-dish specialties include brochette of angler and prawns and rabbit with fines herbes. Lemon-and-vodka sorbet brings the meal to a fitting finish.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#32418 - 06/16/05 01:17 PM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I have eaten at La Barraca three times, although it has been a few years.

I thought it was great.

They have an inexpensive white wine there, Mantel Blanco. It was quite good.

A buen provecho.

#32419 - 06/22/05 12:45 AM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
Bev Offline

Loc: nyc
Ate at La Barraca last month. Someone had recommended it to us. We had a hard time finding it but the paella was really enjoyable. However, it didn't compare to the paella in Barcelona in El Rey de las Gambas in Barceloneta.

#32420 - 06/23/05 12:59 PM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
Cornelio Offline

Loc: Dublin, CA
My own personal favorite in terms of paella is also in the Barceloneta area of Barcelona and the name of the restaurant is SET PORTES.

#32421 - 06/23/05 03:06 PM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
Bill from NYC Offline
Executive Member

Loc: New York City
The Travel Channel? I do not know if this is the same Travel Channel given by Time Warner in New York City. But Travel Channel on Timer Waner is mostly full of Poker game programs. frown

Hopefully the Food Channel will do a few shows about the food from Spain.

Bill

#32422 - 06/24/05 04:31 PM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
maestroyaron Offline

Speaking of Paella, can somebody tell me how seemingly every business serving Paella in Madrid and elsewhere has the same "OK Paella" and "Casa de Paella" signs? Do these businesses make their own or do they buy it pre-made from a vendor?

#32423 - 06/27/05 08:00 AM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
albert Offline

Loc: madrid
guys, if you want to have good paella, you have to go to Valencia!!!

Besides the fact that you need good quality ingredients, It's all about the water, in madrid the water is too soft, so it takes less time to cook and therefore not leaving enough time for the rice to steam nice and slow, to make sure it soaks up all of the ingredients flavors.

In valencia and the coastal regions, the water is much harder, helping to cook the rice better.

As for the question Maestroyaon makes, it all depends. If you don't see a publicity sign that says "yes we serve paella" with a nice pic of a paella dish, then most likely they make their own paella.

The bars with the publicity sign are usually frozen dishes where you just add water and boil it for 20 mins. So, if you want homemade paella, try to avoid those places.

I agree in that La Barraca, has lost a lot of quality. They have really focused their business toward tourist and from what I know, people from Madrid, don't usually go there.

Let it be also said, that if you don't know how a real paella should be like, but you love to eat rice, then the price-quality ratio is really good.

#32424 - 06/27/05 08:55 AM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
La Sorpresa Offline

Loc: Naples, FL - USA
I have seen people eating the "OK Paella" and it looks just like it does on the sign - plastic!

Albert, I will not be able to go to Valencia on this trip, so do you have a better recomendation for Madrid? I am open to suggestions! I just had never heard of this restaurant and wanted some reviews.

#32425 - 06/27/05 12:13 PM Re: MADRID: La Barraca Restaurant
JoseR Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Sparkalina, We just returned from Spain and it was recommended by the hotel Villa Real. We had late lunch and we really enjoyed ourselves. They even have a web site www.interocio.es/labarraca/
which I found after we returned.

Jose

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
najmaaz
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1675 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments