Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31921 - 01/04/05 11:30 AM Madrid- Best Paella
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
ignoring Tapas for now, paella is what i am craving so which restaurant in Madrid has the best paella? also what other mardilean typical food should i try? (again ignoring tapas which i'll be eating anyway)

#31922 - 01/04/05 12:38 PM Re: Madrid- Best Paella
pim Offline

Loc: Brussels
Uff! I don't know about the best paella in town....if I leave out my mother's out of the competition that is!!! laugh (and my own veggie one :o )
And, I confess I've only been to the famous (specially amongst 'guiris') Champagnería/Arroceria Gala www.paellas-gala.com once (it happens when you live a couple of minutes from a place), and wasn't at all impressed by their food. frown Of course we ordered some quite non-conventional dishes such as "fideua mixta", "paella oriental", etc... so I really can't tell you if they master the more classic stuff such as paella and arroz a banda....

Well, while paella is definitely NOT a Madrilenian dish, 'Callos a la madrileña' o 'Cocido Madrileño' are....

Personally I don't like callos, which are tripe :p , but see some ideas for cocido places on this recent post:
http://www.madridman.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=001049

Other dishes I wouldn't miss would be a nice Fabada, Gazpacho, Bacalao al pil-pil or a la Vizcaína, Pisto, Migas, Menestra de verduras, Pollo al ajillo or a la chilindrón, Caldereta....

#31923 - 01/04/05 01:29 PM Re: Madrid- Best Paella
The_Keeper_at_Home Offline

Loc: Madrid
I've been to the paella place mentioned above and whilst it definitely is a guiri haven (I was taken there by my company whilst I was trying to decide whether or not I wanted to move to Madrid), I found the paellas quite tasty. I think it is worth a visit, but remember to book if you want to be seated in the nice indoor gardem out back. Otherpaellas I've had here have been pretty hit and miss. Thursday is paella day in most cafes and really it does de`pend on your luck. Look for the very non-touristy places (typical cafes and local food place) that are busy on a Thursday.

Other foods i've really taken a liking to are Rabo de Toro (Ox tail), Lentejas (lentils), Calamare (squid), pulpo (octopus) and butifaras (catalan sausages).

Everything you KNOW is wrong.

#31924 - 01/04/05 01:58 PM Re: Madrid- Best Paella
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
At this time of year there are a couple of dishes you should try (not typically Madrileno but available in many places):
Pote Gallego -- a delicious Gallegan soup.
Fabada Asturiana - an extremely famous bean stew from Asturias.
I believe there is also a bean stew called Albuias a Pinto which is very filling...
Also please try Morcilla as a tapa or pincho!

PS If you want a good steak, there are some excellent Argentinian restauarants to try from,

#31925 - 01/04/05 05:18 PM Re: Madrid- Best Paella
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
thanks, i'm getting hungry reading all the recomendations. i'll definitely try the tripe, i would love to taste how the Spaniards make it, we make it with beans in my country (Jamaica) and it's so good, definitely will be trying the other dishes as well. :p

#31926 - 01/04/05 06:37 PM Re: Madrid- Best Paella
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
This is Fernando's terrain laugh

So you want a superb paella... I've the restaurant for you: Tapelia .

Good ambience, good service, incredible paella (and other rices recipes as arroz abanda, arroz negro, arroz con bogavante or arroz con verduras), other good recipes, and a not super-expensive price (about 25-30 € per person, two courses, red wine and dessert).

The bad thing about Madrid is that our typical recipes are not very good. The good thing is that you can find the best spanish recipes concentrated in one city laugh Just ask for something you would like to taste smile

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
cruz70, e-man, Jaybe, kittygregg
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1746 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments