Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31914 - 01/03/05 12:34 PM Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I've heard that Europeans are big time smokers and i was wondering abou this b/c i am not a smoker myself. as far as the restaurants are there non-smoking sections?

#31915 - 01/03/05 07:20 PM Re: Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
There are possibly less than 5 restaurants and less than 5 clubs in Madrid which are smoke-free or have no-smoking sections. I haven´t seen one yet, however.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31916 - 01/04/05 11:41 AM Re: Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
Starbucks remains about the only place I've been to in Madrid where you can almost (note almost) guarantee you won't coming out smelling like the bottom of an ashtray. As far as restaurans, a very few do have non-smoking sections, but the smoke will still drift over to you. If you eat supper early (8:30-9:00) there will be fewer smokers. Clubs, well................

#31917 - 01/04/05 11:48 AM Re: Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
VannieNY Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
thanks guys, i guess i'll take a gallon of shampoo so i can wash my hair every 10 minutes wink

#31918 - 01/04/05 02:13 PM Re: Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
Andrés Offline

Loc: Madrid
Go to Matritum on Cava Alta st. DOWNSTAIRS they have a beautiful wine cellar where you can also have tapas and wine. Smoke is prohibited by all means.

Andres

#31919 - 01/10/05 06:43 PM Re: Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I know VIPs has a non-smoking section, and I think Hollywoods too. I'm sure some of the international restaurants like Hard Rock Cafe are sensitive to that issue. As for purely traditional Spanish places, that's a tough call. If I can think of any others, I'll add to this list

#31920 - 01/10/05 07:20 PM Re: Madrid: smoking in Clubs/Restaurants?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
By law, every restaurant above certain limit of customers, is obligated to have a non-smoking section.

It is a matter of physics however laugh Smoke has the annoying property of filling the surrounding space.

I really really detest smoke and I pray for the day it becomes banned from restaurants, but in the meantime, if you ask for the non-smokers area (which most restaurants have) you will have a good chance of avoiding our behated friend smile

As for clubs/discos/pubs... forget it. You will end as smoked as a barbaque steak no matter where you go. Try to go to modern and ample discos, where air recycling systems will lessen the problem a bit.

Fernando

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2427 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments