Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#31521 - 01/14/05 06:56 PM Re: Let's talk beer!
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
Yes, Alhambra Reserva 1925, that's exactly it! And served ice cold in the summer makes it twice as nice.

If it's of any comfort, Torrales, I have a six of Clásica in my fridge as I speak smile . It's a perfectly all right beer by me, I just think Cinco Estrellas is better. Personal taste.

Thanks for finding the info for me!

#31522 - 01/15/05 08:05 PM Re: Let's talk beer!
Murdy Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I also just learned that Alhambra is the only fully Spanish-owned brewery left. The others apparently have been absorbed by international companies. At least, that's what I've been told.

I notive some of you have mentioned Estrella Galicia, a great beer by the way. Has anyone ever tried Estrella Levante? It really exists, and belongs to the Estrella group. Found, not so surprisingly, in Levante. I've had it a couple of times and like it. Order it if you're ever in that part of the country.

#31523 - 03/02/05 12:38 AM Re: Let's talk beer!
maestroyaron Offline

Speaking of beer, when I go into a bar in Madrid and ask for a cerveza, what am I likely to get? Or will I be asked what I would like?

#31524 - 03/02/05 10:10 AM Re: Let's talk beer!
MedicalMan Offline

Loc: Honolulu, Hawaii
Maestro......In Madrid, If you don't specifie............Your getting Mahou.

#31525 - 03/02/05 11:01 AM Re: Let's talk beer!
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Whoa, MedicalMan. Is that really true? It's been my experience that bars carry EITHER Mahour OR San Miguel and never both on tap because, I believe, of distribution licenses - much for the same reason that restaurants will carry EITHER Coca-Cola OR Pepsi but not both.

One of my favorite Madrid bars with a terraza and LOTS of space is the now famous (ahem...) El Brillante on the Glorieta de Carlos V (a.k.a. Glorieta de Atocha - across from the Atocha train station). They unfortunately ONLY have San Miguel on draft for cañas/jarras and NOT Mahou - but I think you can get Mahou in the bottle.

I think all the Museo de Jamon places carry Mahou on draft but not San Miguel and most of the smaller neighborhood bars carry Mahou on draft it seems.

Keep in mind that, in general, Spaniards are not beer-brand-loyal. Maybe it's because whatever they happen to get on draft (or is that "on draught"?) is going to be goooooood whether it's Mahou, San Miguel, Cruz Campo (in Andalucía), or Estrella de Galicia. I've YET to meet a Spanish beer I didn't like. heheheheh... :p Mmmmm...

Sal.. <hic!> ..udos, MadridMan rolleyes

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1464 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments