Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31415 - 07/03/04 08:39 AM Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
What's your favourite choice for breakfast in Madrid? coming from the UK, I'm used to having the option to having a proper breakfast (as opposed to a pastry with my coffee). At one time a pincho de tortilla or a montado de lomo did the trick. However I have discovered VIPs who serve different desayuno options. The 'ingles' variety serves bacon and egg on toast but with french fries/chips. Not very healthy but it does the trick I think.... Of course there's always the sandwich mixto to go for instead!

#31416 - 07/03/04 12:43 PM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Have you tried in VIPS the Andalusian Breakfast (Desayuno Andaluz)? Two toasts of "french" bread with squeezed fresh tomato and spanish olive oil... yummmmmmmm!

My favourite breakfast is horchata with fartons, which is typical from Valencia. Horchata is a fresh sweet drink made with chufas (a kind of nuts), water and sugar. Fartons are a special (hard to find outside Valencia) type of bread/cake. The mix is incredible! laugh

I usually take a pair of oranges and make a good orange juice for breakfast, along with a milk chocolate and a toast.

Fernando

#31417 - 07/04/04 09:50 AM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
Churros con chocolate is my favorite: the place where I enjoy them most is Toribio's Churreria on the Plaza in Barajas pueblo. They also serve fresh squeezed orange juice.

They are open from 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM: Many of the aircrews stop there on their way to work and have Coffee or Chocolate with their Churros (or Porras).

#31418 - 07/04/04 11:22 PM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Sheryl Offline

Loc: Lowell, Massachusetts
This is an easy question with two answers: one for summer and one for winter. On cool or cold days...chocolate con churros. For all other times: café con leche con una barra de pan tostado con mantequilla y mermalada (a loaf of bread toasted and served with butter and marmelade).

I enjoy, for breakfast, the Bar Yanes en Sol. The people are nice and by the third day, once they know you (3 days and you're now a regular), they start to talk to you.

Sheryl

#31419 - 07/05/04 07:38 AM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[originally posted by Kathleen on 07-05-2004 01:26 AM]

What is VIPS? Is it a place to eat? I haven't been to Madrid before, so I am looking for breakfasts that are a little more filling than chocolate and churrs (my blood sugar would go through the roof) Breakfast is really important to my diet - what do I say - it's the most important mean of the day? Does anyone know of a place that has yoghurt, fruit, coffee, cereal, bread - toast - type breakfasts? That is more of what I am used to. thanks.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31420 - 07/05/04 07:39 AM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
[Originally posted by Nativo on 07-05-2004 07:20 AM]

Leaving apart the fact that most people in having will have very limited breakfast. You still have alternatives:
1) Toasted bread with butter/marmelade or olive oil. ordered as "tostada" / "Barrita" and "mantequilla" or "aceite" for the seasoning.

Nevertheless if you feel in need of proteins for breakfast, eggs, ham....then head into Vips their breakfasts are also long tradition and you are likely to find a different side of the city.

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#31421 - 07/05/04 09:53 AM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

VIPS is a chain of restaurants placed all over Spain (specially in Madrid). Make a search in this board and you will find more information smile

Fernando

#31422 - 07/05/04 10:53 PM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Por Dios y cuatro Ave Marias, Fernando!! eek eek

VIPS is a ghastly eatery. In a restaurant-gifted city like Madrid, with all the wonderful places to have breakfast, the last place to go is VIPS!

For me there is nothing tastier than churros con chocolate or a tortilla de chorizo if I want to fortify myself! laugh laugh

#31423 - 07/06/04 09:31 AM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Hahahahaha! laugh

It is not that bad wink You may also eat churros with chocolate in VIPS. But I agree with Booklady that if you know a good restaurant or café it is much better than a chain restaurant smile

Fernando

#31424 - 07/06/04 11:28 AM Re: Madrid: Favourite Breakfast?
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I think that the restaurant NEBRASKA has the kind of breakfasts that you are looking for. At least when I have been there I saw people ordering yoghurt, cereal and toast, as well as fresh fruit.

Nebraska has several locations including one on Gran Vía and one on Bravo Murillo.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
McTravel
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2446 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments