Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31380 - 06/14/04 02:51 PM Graham Crackers
willson Offline

Loc: Almería
A two-parter:

A) Has anyone found somewhere that sells Graham Crackers (originally concocted by Sylvester Graham - a physician).

Failing that...
B) What's the closest Spainsh cookie equivalent to a Graham Cracker? I'm going to give Campurrianas a try.

I need a graham cracker pie crust base or something similar; not a pre-shaped round one because I'm putting it into square cake pan.

#31381 - 06/14/04 03:03 PM Re: Graham Crackers
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
I think your basic "maria" cookie is fairly close to a graham cracker and would work well for that graham cracker crust.

Are you going to share the pie after you make it? wink laugh

#31382 - 06/14/04 04:54 PM Re: Graham Crackers
willson Offline

Okay, 1st suggestion: Maria cookies.
I'll look into it.
Thanks.

More suggestions welcome.

As for the «pie», think..¿«Naniamo Bars»'? Does that sound familiar to anyone? Also known in some circles as "New York bars".

I'm looking to introduce them as a dessert at a local restaurant and just might be willing to allow testers of the preliminary batches.
And as an excuse to meet local members of the board.

#31383 - 06/15/04 08:07 AM Re: Graham Crackers
Diana Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Hi Willson,

I'm going to second the Maria cookies recommendation. They have long been the expat community's replacement for graham crackers in recipes.

I would make "magic cookie bars" while in Spain, and use Maria cookies for the graham cracker crust, and chop up chocolate bars for the chocolate chips. It took a little longer to make, but the reactions I'd get from our Spanish family and friends were so worth it! (They're called "magic" because they disappear so fast!)

Good luck! In my years in Spain I found that Spaniards love American baked goods; they're quite different from what you can buy in the pastelerias, and they appeal to anyone with a sweet tooth! I know of two American women who baked and sold desserts very successfully, one in a shop, and another in a restaurant.

#31384 - 06/21/04 06:49 PM Re: Graham Crackers
willson Offline

So I used Marias - integral.
Pretty good result.
Not really the same as Graham's but interesting in their own way.

Unfortunately, for y'all (sorry Chica), I'm off to Paris tomorrow (for a week) and will not be able to share the Nanaimos.
If you're familiar with at all Nanaimos you'll know that a batch can't possibly last a week anyway (highly addictive).
Maybe the next bunch (early July).

One difficulty was to find an "8 x 8" Pyrex.
I found one 25x25 (cm) but that's about 2" too big.

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Mario70
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2029 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments