Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#31326 - 05/21/04 02:38 PM Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
I only brought back one bottle of La Casera , so when it was just about to run out, I decided to try to duplicate it with available American products.

I know it is not exactly the same, but I mixed one part Diet 7-Up with two parts of Club Soda, and it is pretty darn close. My next experiment will be with Diet Sprite.

For all of you out there who want their tinto de verano, and have no La Casera,there IS hope.

Of course, purists like Mongo will see this as heresy. But desperate times call for disparate measures.

Buen provecho..

#31327 - 05/22/04 01:43 AM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have actually done the same experiment and have found diluted Diet Sprite to be the best substitute. Of course I still have 5 bottles of La Casera to go with a trip scheduled in September! (I time my trips around my food supply)

Maybe I should have a party with Mongo night. It would start at 2AM in La Zapateria and continue until sunrise!

#31328 - 07/13/04 12:30 AM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

A hypothetical question for GoMadrid-

If it is past closing time in Minneapolis, can a proper tinto de verano be made with La Casera and Beaujolais?

I still have 2 bottles left!

#31329 - 07/16/04 02:14 PM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
Raquel_dup1 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
hi-
Can someone give me a good recipie for tinto de verano?? I make sangria alot but its not as good, anyways...when I was studying in madrid this past year i fell in love with tinto de verano and suddenly am CRAVING it!!!! Help!

#31330 - 07/17/04 12:41 AM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

It is very simple-Put approx. 1/3 gaseosa in a Collins glass, fill with red wine. I like ice in mine, but I'm American and we put ice in everything. smile

If you don't have gaseosa, use the formula provided by my mentor GoMadrid wink from the post above.

Most of my experience with tinto de verano comes from having lunch with Spanish friends. They all have to go back to work and use it to drink wine without drinking too much. There will be wine and La Casera and water spread out on the table and everyone helps themselves!

Has anyone here ever tried "calimocho"? (Red wine and Coke) It makes me shudder to think of it!

#31331 - 07/17/04 07:04 PM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
La Casera is on sale at La Tienda! But I have tried to substitute it with Sierra Mist and it came much closer than Seven Up or Club soda, at least to my tired taste buds.
wink

#31332 - 07/19/04 11:17 AM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
laduque Offline
Executive Member

Loc: San Diego, CA, USA
I have to agree with Bookladay, Sierra Mist is the closest thing as it is not as sweet as 7 Up or Sprite. I've been back from Madrid for 5 days and have been making Tinto de verano everyday for lunch. I'm a teacher and am enjoying my lazy days of summer! :p

#31333 - 07/19/04 03:48 PM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Laduque, I think I got the idea about Sierra Mist from you, on another thread a few years ago. I believe it was you...

Anyway, it's a reasonable substitute, but of course la Casera would be better for a cool pitcher of Sangria, along with a little jamon serrano lounging in the back yard on a lovely Summer's day, reading a good book...Ahhhh! wink

#31334 - 07/31/04 09:39 AM Re: Tinto de Verano...and La Casera
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
Mongo: NEVER use beaujolais for making tinto de verano. I don't care what time it is in the Twin Cities....

For my tastes, use a hearty red wine. Of course if you want to be more authentic, a tempranillo. I have found Charles Shaw (Two Buck Chuck from Trader Joes) to be very good.
The taste of the wine makes a big difference. It doesn't have to be expensive wine, but how the wine tastes absent the La Casera or whatever is what you get...

Thanks for the tip on Sierra Mist.

I have Spanish friends coming to visit in August, and have asked them to bring La Casera.
That should last about a day...

A buen provecho..

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1600 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments