Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#30954 - 01/14/04 02:59 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
guiri920 Offline

Loc: CA
I haven't been back in a while, but I know there are tons of hidden treasures-- one being a spot called Candilejas, on c/H, off of Serrano between Goya and Ayala.
The chef there is amazing, and the price is right despite the neighborhood. It gets pretty busy during the lunch hour. You can choose between the menu or some pretty tasty sandwiches. Suerte!!

#30955 - 01/15/04 06:58 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
almohada Offline

Loc: Madrid
Biotika,

I have yet to spend 15 Euros. Although I am anxious as you to read the replies. SOmething tells me many are in the same boat.

I just spent 12 at La Bio Tika near Aton Martin. Absolutely delicious vegetarian food.

I also spent 10E at a restaurant right on Castellana. Next time I walk by I'll jot down name and exactly location. Had a plate of the most amazing pimientos asados and a veal cutlet along with sparkling water and fresh bread. Yummy.

As for the ubiquitous ham. Museo de Jamon, Comsumme, dos/tres "chiquitos de jamon, el chorizo del bar, and two glasses of red wine will sent you back about 6E.

For take out. La Bio Tika. Also there is a place just off of Anton Martin (toward the south, away from Gran Via) that sells rotisserie chicken (pollo asado). I thnk 5E for one chicken. However only seen it open during the day. But you can buy and keep for home?

More later. Best, Almohada
P.S. How about that Michelle Wie. First round 72 at the Sony Open!!

#30956 - 01/29/04 12:36 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
For those who have been putting down the quality of Chinese food in Madrid, the weekend Financial Times just had a complementary article. I also had a good review of Saigon on Maria de Molina from my wife who went two weeks ago for a business dinner (not in the "cheap" eats at 30 euros per person).

#30957 - 01/30/04 04:59 AM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Miguelito wrote:

Quote:
wHERE'S caSA chica? Is it expensive?
Hmmm... it´s not too far from Pza Castilla Miguelito. One would think that upon hearing Pza. Castilla that you would pay lots of Euros... but actually, you can get a decent burger there in exchange for a nice bottle of Rioja or Rueda... and I heard that Chica will even throw in a house salad, drinks and coffee at no additional charge! It has an eclectic selection of music... all to suit the diner´s taste, or simply the telediario. The dining facilities are quite small, and I understand that you need a special invitation to dine there...but I insist, the burgers are the best this side of the Atlantic. wink laugh

Ignacio wrote:
Quote:
Since I can see no smileys in your post, miguelito, I'd like to mention that the message about "Casa Chica" was posted by "Chica", and had smileys in it.
Very astute of you Ignacio... I see you caught the humor in my post!! laugh

#30958 - 01/30/04 06:18 AM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Anonymous
Unregistered

BTW, for those who like kebabs, or just hamburguers (after all, a kebab is like a big hamburger of lamb - usually), there is a place that's in the corner of Plaza de la Puerta del Sol and Calle Alcalá, where I use to have excellent double kebabs with a beer (a full meal, at least for me) for about 6 €.

And I am extatic on having discovered kebabs about two years ago. They are super-tasty. laugh

#30959 - 01/30/04 09:55 AM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Alun John Offline

Loc: Wales
Whilst in Madrid a few weeks ago I noticed that you could get a menu del dia in the Café de Oriente (opposite the Royal Palace) for under 10 Euros. Great location, great food.

#30960 - 03/03/04 02:37 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
RESTAURANTE VIVARES
c/ HORTELEZA a half block north of Hostal chelo
7.20€ for a full course lunch or dinner including bread and beverage.

RESTAURANTE SANABRESA
c/AMOR DE DIOS near Antón Martín metro
Near Prado and Huertas
10€ and up for a full course lunch including bread and beverage

VESUBIO
C/Horteleza and C/Gonzalo Jimenez de Quesada off Gran Vía
3.80€ and up for 10 inch pizza plus 1.70€ for a half bottle of wine. Also has Italian pasta meals.

#30961 - 03/04/04 05:10 AM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Torrales Offline

Two places downtown Madrid where you can find 'cocina casera' (i.e, the food everyone's mum do at home, not fancy, not modern, but delicious) at inexpensive prices:

Restaurante La Puebla
c/ Ventura de la Vega, 12 (very close to Puerta del Sol, Carrera de San Jeronimo, and Santa Ana sq.)

Restaurante Puerto Rico
c/ Chinchilla, 2 (between Gran Via and calle Carmen)

In both restaurants you will find a 'menu del dia' where you can choose from a selection of 5-6 starters, main courses, desserts and drink, for about 8-10 EUR. In both places, this menu is available even at night and weekends (unlike many other restaurants). If you prefer to eat 'a la carte' the price will be about 15-20 EUR.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2633 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments