Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#30934 - 01/10/04 07:28 AM Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Apart from the Menu del Dia (which offers great value normally daytime) I tend to avoid dining out at night to save money. However I have found that Chinese restaurants offer good value and it is possible to have a 2 or 3 course meal with wine for 15 Euros. Is it possible to dine out for less in Madrid?

#30935 - 01/10/04 08:51 AM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Define: "Dining Out"

Are you asking about a sit-down, cloth napkins and glass glasses place with a waiter or would accept "tapeando" or going for tapas as "dining out"? You can OFTEN spend less than 15 Euros per person by going to one place, ordering a couple tapas and a glass of wine for 15 Euros or less. You may even do better if you're sharing with another person - at least have more of a variety.

Antonio and I went to a place between Opera and SOL and had a LARGE plate of Lacon (kind of ham) and potatoes and another large plate of sliced chorizo with potatoes. We MAY have also had a plate of 6 croquetas. We also had a pitcher of sidra for a total of exactly 20 Euros for the two and I couldn't eat all there was (truth is, I held back because these were intended to be just a snack and NOT my meal of the evening - which I was to eat in another couple hours).

So you see, it is quite possible to eat well. The above place, which the name escapes me (Antonio! Could you please offer some details, names, corrections to my above information?), but it was sit-down place with cloth napkins and a waiter. Decent and spacious place too. This palce was clearly not on the "tourists" list of places - I only saw Spaniards inside.

Other places, you can also go to a place like El Brillante (located UNDER the Hotel Mediodia across from the Atocha train station) and have a LARGE fried squid sandwich, patatas bravas, and several large mugs of beer for much less than 15 Euros either standing at the counters inside or outside on the terraza if it's open.

I think you can also SEARCH this forum using keywords like MADRID CHEAP RESTAURANTS for other, previous postings and recommendations.

Good luck and enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30936 - 01/10/04 11:36 AM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Avoid chinese restaurants!

There are some bright exceptions, in which you can taste some of the best chinese and cantonese recipes, but in general, chinese restaurants serve the worst quality food available in Madrid.

You may try tapas as MM has very well spend, but there are hundreds of places were you can have dinner for 15 € or even less. I know americans don't like it (becuase it is american food, but understand me, I like it becuase I don't eat it at home) but I like Foster's Hollywood, an american food restaurant (originally founded by two american expatriates in Madrid). I was there yesterday, and I had a quesadilla, and a half pound bacon burger with french fries and salad, and a coke (free refill, which is rare in Spain) and a chocolate cake, for 15 € laugh I really couldn't enter throught my home door because of all what I ate laugh

But there are other places. The BEST you can do is to stop a local, ask him if he can speak english, and if so, ask him a place in the neighbourhood specifying how much you want to spend. We spaniards really like to go out to have dinner with friends, so the best expert is a local for sure!

Fernando

#30937 - 01/10/04 12:32 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
filbert Offline
Executive Member

Loc: London
Thanks for the advice guys!
I must admit that the Chinese I used in the Arapiles zone seemed quite good for the price, so if I fancy Chinese food in the future I´ll stick to that one.

#30938 - 01/10/04 12:35 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
laugh laugh
Isn't a sin to be in Spain and eat Chinese? eek

20 Hail mary's for you! 10 if you go to VIP's!

MadridMan, please dig up the name of that wonderful restaurant, I am planning my next trip and I realize that the Euro's strength will undoubtedly limit my eating establishment choices.
Saludos,
Carmen

#30939 - 01/10/04 04:09 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
GoMadrid Offline

Loc: California
La Finca de Susana behind the Congreso de Diputados is very attractive, has pretty good food, and is going to cost less than 15 Euros...certainly at lunch. It is well worth the money, and usually has a line to indicate that others agree that it is a good value.

And if you like paella, the Champagnería Gala at 22 Calle Moratín is very, very reasonable and has some of the best arroz in Madrid.

#30940 - 01/10/04 04:19 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
CALLING ANTONIO!! Where did you take me between Opera and SOL?: [EDIT: It was "Taberna de los ángeles at Costanilla de los ángeles street]. And GoMadrid, I have to agree with you 100% about La Finca de Susana. GREAT place. A REAL restaurant and very affordable - not sure about their evening meal prices, though. This was another great place that Antonio took me to. That Antonio knows ALL the best places. He also introduced me to a place in Huertas called "Restaurante La Sanabresa". You'll find it reviewed here in this category as well as in my MadridMan\'s 2003 Madrid/País Vasco Trip journal. Just hit Ctrl+F and type SANABRESA and you'll find my review.

Good luck! Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30941 - 01/10/04 06:51 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Chica Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid
When you arrive in Madrid, go to a kiosk and buy the Guía de Ocio...there is a complete restaurant listing in the guide that also indicates the expense of the restaurant... There are lots of inexpensive restaurants where you will surely spend less than 15€ if you order an appetizer, main plate and the house wine... smile

#30942 - 01/10/04 07:03 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
The best arroz (rice) and paella available in Madrid (to my know and my taste) is in Casa Gerardo (C/ Alberto Alcocer, 40). They have an incredible arroz abanda. laugh

Fernando

#30943 - 01/10/04 07:39 PM Re: Madrid:Dining out inexpensively..
sel Offline

Loc: Columbus, Ohio
But can you get an order just for one person? So many places only offer paella for two or more.
frown

A small place called Mi Pueblo was recommended to me. It is in the Plaza Mayor area on Calle Santiaga maybe. It was closed when I tried to eat there, but the prices seemed reasonable.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
mencey, Mirthmantis
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments