Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30717 - 08/14/03 12:18 AM Good Bakery in Madrid
AnnK Offline

Loc: Berkeley, CA
There is a cafe/bakery at 5 Principe, just north of Plaza Santa Ana, and a few blocks east of Puerto del Sol. I am not a pastry fan, but the other 2 people in the group were enthusiastic, especially about the chocolate treats--chocolate croissant, chocolate palmas, and something else. The bread was also excellent.

I bought various pastries at this place on several days. Then, on Sunday, they were not open as early. So I bought stuff from a place--unknown name--on the SW corner of Puerto del Sol (north side of Calle Mayor). Very elegant and busy place, and slightly higher prices. Presented my catch to the other two . . . who said it may have been elegant but the Principe place had better chocolate and better overall flavor. They said the Principe place was really good, and clearly just baked.

#30718 - 08/14/03 12:17 PM Re: Good Bakery in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi AnnK! The "Pastelería"/Bakery you mention on the southwest corner of the Puerta del Sol is "La Mallorquina", a landmark in Madrid. And yes, they are super popular. Sometimes with higher popularity, eventually, comes lower quality. But I think they're still quite good. The one you mention near Plaza Santa Ana sounds delicious too. But Madrid is FULL of bakeries & sweet shops... there must be hundreds. Every little neighborhood typically has their own.

Yum... Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30719 - 08/14/03 11:18 PM Re: Good Bakery in Madrid
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
I love La Mallorquina! Their Palmeritas, that look like our Elephant Ears are delicious. I particularly enjoyed the meticulous care the attendants took in packing my pastries. I would leave with little works of art. I almost hated to open the packages, but I was too greedy! laugh

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1782 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments