MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#30647 - 07/18/03 12:11 PM Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Now I've seen everything! As I was strolling past the dairy section of my local Safeway, I came upon Kraft Manchego processed cheese slices!!!! eek Gak! When I think Manchego cheese I don't think of the plasticene substance that most processed cheese products are! I'm having a hard time getting my mind wrapped around this concept! The package is in Spanish and says it's perfect for quesadillas confused

#30648 - 07/18/03 02:08 PM Re: Kraft manchego
Meadow Offline

Loc: CA, USA
That IS creepy! rolleyes

#30649 - 07/18/03 09:00 PM Re: Kraft manchego
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
la maestra, is/was this kooky cheese from Spain though or did they "steal" the Manchego name. I'd think Manchego would be an internationally registered trademark/tradename, wouldn't it or is it just a kind of cheese?

Saludos, eek MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30650 - 07/18/03 09:33 PM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

MM, it is packaged just like the old Kraft American singles slices, but it says "Manchego" instead of "American." My son described the concept as being a little like Caviar Newtons...you know what that must be, but can't imagine eating it! I don't know if Manchego is one of those things that has to have proof of origin like wine or if it is just a type of cheese...though how slices can be similar to the real thing escapes me.

#30651 - 07/18/03 09:46 PM Re: Kraft manchego
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Good question, La Maestra. I ran into some Manchego cheese that was made in Mejico. But, to me it did not taste the same as Machego from Spain. The same with chorizos. The Palacion chorizos taste different than the ones made here by Quijote. rolleyes Oh, well.

Did you buy it?

#30652 - 07/19/03 09:16 PM Re: Kraft manchego
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Garden Grove, California
Yuk! Processed American cheese is bad enough. Hey, while we're on this subject of packaging Spanish food for Americans, how about if Betty Crocker comes out with Bacalao Helper? Yummmmmmm, Yum!! laugh

#30653 - 07/19/03 09:28 PM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Oso, I don't think this was packaged for Americans as the package is written entirely in Spanish. It appears to be packaged for Mexicans...who don't use Manchego that I know of!The curious side of me want to try it to see what they were aiming for in terms of flavor, but the rational part of me knows what texture I will encounter!

By the way, Bacalao Helper sounds like a winner to me!

#30654 - 07/19/03 11:17 PM Re: Kraft manchego
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Oh, maestra, you MUST try it! In the interest of science!!!! Don't keep us in suspense! smile

#30655 - 07/20/03 03:43 PM Re: Kraft manchego
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

Eeeeeeeeyuk! Maestra, you'd use Bacalao Helper? I'd rather try the processed manchego! Let's see, what's next on our processed food list? How about soy anchovy fillets and tofu olives? :p

#30656 - 07/20/03 04:25 PM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

No, no, Oso! You misunderstood me! I think your Bacalao Helper has potential...but not for me! Truth be known, I'm a bit of a "foodie"...my sons grew up thinking EVERYONE had jamon serrano and manchego sandwiches on French bread for lunch!

#30657 - 07/22/03 10:12 PM Re: Kraft manchego
Ed S Offline

Loc: Harrisburg, PA, USA
I too came across the Manchego cheese slices and we are nowhere near the Tex-Mex border. The package was processed Manchego cheese slices and was in english. My wife and I, who love Spanish Mamchego - the real stuff, laughed as we noticed the quesadilla notation. As Spanish as tacos!

#30658 - 07/23/03 01:22 AM Re: Kraft manchego
CaliBasco Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Idaho
I saw this stuff a number of months ago, eek too...and succumbed to temptation. :p Three nights in intensive care, a quadruple stomach pump, and thirty pounds later, I yet live to tell the tale.

Just say no, Nancy, just say no. wink

#30659 - 07/23/03 02:42 AM Re: Kraft manchego
Miguelito Offline

This sounds me like if Kraft had 'stolen' the name. Manchego it's not a trademark, it's like a quality origin name but here in Spain it has to proof the origin from La Mancha and I think it has to be with 100% sheep milk.

#30660 - 07/23/03 06:43 AM Re: Kraft manchego
ChrisR Offline

Loc: D.C.
From my four years in Mexico, Manchego (mancheco?)cheese is as common as chorizo and most people may not even know of both products Spanish origins. After two weeks in the DC area, I've seen imported Spanish Manchego cheese in three groceries in Arlington.

#30661 - 07/23/03 09:57 AM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

So Chris, is it likely that manchego cheese that Mexicans are familiar with is as different from Manchego cheese as Mexican chorizo is from Spanish chorizo?

#30662 - 07/23/03 09:09 PM Re: Kraft manchego
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

You guys sound as if you've discovered a new life form! It could very well be that they make manchego in Mexico, afterall quite a number of Spaniards migrated to Mexico. That's not to say that their manchego tastes like that Kraft product you guys have seen. It may be a very good cheese though it may not be exactly like the real manchego. America makes all kinds of cheeses of European origin. Cheddar is the best example. California, Oregon, Wisconsin are big producers of Cheddar which is English in origin. Other popular cheeses made here are Brie, Feta, mozzarella, even Mexican style fresh cheeses. All of them good, but.....ask a native from where those cheeses come from and they will tell you that the ones back home are the best. wink

#30663 - 07/23/03 09:53 PM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Yes, Oso, but if Parmesan winds up having the texture of say, Brie, it certainly would make a difference!

#30664 - 07/23/03 11:01 PM Re: Kraft manchego
GranadaGirl Offline

Loc: Maryland via Connecticut, USA ...
Hi All!

I'm in the DC area too, and have been finding all kinds of Spanish cheeses (with the little Spanish flags on them!) lately! Manchego is fairly common now around here, and last week I found MAHON cheese at a local grocery store! I hadn't even heard of it before, but had to try it--and it's GREAT! It's like a very sharp cheddar cheese.

I've seen and tried Mexican chorizo in the past, but it's just not the same, but last week I actually found Spanish 'style' chorizo, I bought it but haven't tried it yet...I'll report back when I do.

Buen Provecho!
-GG

#30665 - 07/27/03 09:49 PM Re: Kraft manchego
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

I spoke to my brother-in-law the other day who is from the Mexican State of Zacatecas, located in central Mexico. I asked him if they made manchego cheese in Mexico. He said yes, and that it is very good. He described it as being from sheep's milk and that it was semi-hard, crumbly. One of the things he said they use to make with it is quesadillas. Regarding Mexican chorizo it is not a knock off of Spanish chorizo. It is a totally individually separate type of chorizo. There are many other types of chorizo made in Mexico as well, such as langoniza and morcia. wink

#30666 - 07/27/03 09:54 PM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

This stuff just says "milk"...so I must assume it is cow's milk. And there is no way it could be crumbly!

#30667 - 07/27/03 10:00 PM Re: Kraft manchego
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

It's impossible for processed cheese to crumble as it contains oil. Yuk! :p

#30668 - 07/27/03 10:39 PM Re: Kraft manchego
Segundo Sombra Offline

Loc: Houston
Your revolting bacalao suggestions got me wondering(seriously) about the merits of the following:

Yesterday afternoon after making some gazpacho I thought that for the US market, instead of a soup,gazpacho could be marketed as a summer vegetable drink-like V8 or Clamato. It certainly is more refreshing than either of those two and I haven't seen anything like it yet in the local Kroger. Anyone think this could go over?

#30669 - 07/28/03 02:48 PM Re: Kraft manchego
OsoMajor Offline
Executive Member

It sounds like a good idea. V-8 is almost there, just throw in the veggies, garilic and splash of olive oil and you're there. Hey, I've done some very quick gazpacho this way. It really saves on the time and my mom really liked it. wink

Bottled gazpacho would probably have the same consistancy as bottled chunky salsa.

BTW, I really got a kick from your reaction to my Bacalao Helper! laugh

#30670 - 07/28/03 09:47 PM Re: Kraft manchego
ChrisR Offline

Maestra:
I'll be in Mexico in about two weeks before heading to Madrid for four years. I'll do a taste test of the two manchegos (I'll look for the Kraft version while I'm in El Paso too) and report back.

#30671 - 07/28/03 09:54 PM Re: Kraft manchego
la maestra Offline
Executive Member

Thanks Chris! Perhaps if we knew what Mexican manchego was like, the Kraft stuff would make sense!

#30672 - 07/28/03 10:08 PM Re: Kraft manchego
ChrisR Offline

no problemo laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments