Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30642 - 07/15/03 02:03 PM Turron in the US
Bernardo Offline

Loc: Alicante - Spain
Hi from Alicante (southEast of Spain):

I just want to know if it is easy in the US to buy the spanish "turron", this so delicious candy.
I live very close to Jijona, the spanish city where this greediness is made.
I know that some on-line shops sell this product but I am thinking to put on-line a very specialized site around the turron and all the derivated candies made with it (peladillas, barquillos...) and also the famous in Spain "mazapan"...
for example, recipes but also the history of the turron and the option to buy at very affordable because I am so passionate about this meat..

Any suggestion ?
Thanks
Bernardo Lopez
Sorry for my english !

#30643 - 07/15/03 02:19 PM Re: Turron in the US
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Bernardo,

Yes, it is easy for me to obtain turrones anytime here in North Florida. I buy it from a Spanish/Cuban market in Gainesville, Florida, I imagine they bring it from Miami. You can also buy them online from LaEspañola.com, Tienda.com and Cubanfoodmarket.com.

But, your idea has great merit, the only problem would be shipping. It is expensive! But if you sold goodies that we cannot find locally it would be a go. You may want to test out your idea by selling through e-Bay, just to see if there is a market big enough and wealthy enough to afford the shipping. I buy a lot from Spain(I'm not wealthy!) through the Spain e-Bay site!

I LOVE turrones. Navidades without turrones is just not Christmas! laugh I love Mazapan the most, Alicante and Jijona. The chocolate ones are also sinfully good for you, and because they are turrones, they do not have any calories! laugh

#30644 - 07/15/03 03:04 PM Re: Turron in the US
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi Bernardo! Welcome to our little message board!

As Booklady says above, yes, we can get turron in most large cities in the US. Here in Columbus, Ohio I have bought 2 or 3 kinds of turron in a few different of the Latino Grocery stores. Good stuff and, of course, it's "Producto de España" ("Product of Spain"). My favorite is the crunchy kind with big pieces of almond. :p

I don't care so much for the "mazapanes" ("marzipan") because, for me, it's just TOO SWEET.

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30645 - 07/15/03 03:10 PM Re: Turron in the US
Bernardo Offline

Loc: Alicante - Spain
Ebay ?
Just a great idea..
I am going to try ...tomorrow !!!!

I am not very easy ("acostumbrado") with ebay but i have an account since two years and just sold my old Imac through it... rolleyes

But because you answered so fast and have given me a good idea, I am motivating myself very hard...
So this is my proposal:
By private message, give me your adress and I will send you ASAP 1 mazapan and another box of "barquillos" filled with turron ..very exquisite !
This last one is my "peché-mignon"...my "weakness"
smile

bernardo

#30646 - 07/15/03 07:59 PM Re: Turron in the US
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

yummy turrones wow!
my favorite are the ones from jijona
especailly the eggy version.
mazapans as MM put it are a little oversweet and are my least favorite.
i prefer the rest including the polvorenes.
mazapans are usually fron toledo,and turrones and yemas from the provance of alicante.
my uncle in alcala de henares brings me a whole pack of turrones and yemas in boxes every navidad and on my birthday.
when im over in spain i eat alot of these with some sidra,essentially because i always go during the navidades,ano nuevo,reyes vacation.
am i lucky to visit spain at that time of year.
who knows?!

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1586 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments