Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30607 - 07/08/03 12:40 AM Pulpo Gallega
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I have a 2 pound octopus in the pressure cooker, (trying a new technique), pimenton (my own blend of dulce, picante y ahumado), olive oil, red wine and sal gordo on the table, potatoes steaming on the stove and a salad of pimientos piquillos.

It's a ggod thing I have a ticket to Madrid in September or I would go crazy!

#30608 - 07/08/03 12:05 PM Re: Pulpo Gallega
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Quote:
I have a 2 pound octopus in the pressure cooker
I'll be right over. hehehe.. wink I WISH! I think 'Pulpo a la Gallega' is maybe the food I miss most between trips to Spain. We can get nearly everything else (or at least something close to it) here in the states to satisfy most Spain-food cravings.
Quote:
It's a ggod thing I have a ticket to Madrid in September or I would go crazy!
WHAT?!!?!? You're going back ALREADY??!?!!? eek You lucky devil! smile

Don't cook that octopus too long (I have NO idea what I'm talking about on this topic so don't take my advice!)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30609 - 07/08/03 03:27 PM Re: Pulpo Gallega
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
MM - maybe that blob thing washed up in Chile last week was just what you need - I'm sure it must taste something akin to pulpo, and just think of the quantity!

#30610 - 07/08/03 04:49 PM Re: Pulpo Gallega
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Madrid Man-Luck has nothing to do with it. wink You and I had several close encounters in April. I believe I was in the airport the same time you were.

I learned my pulpo (and tapas) cooking skills from a real Galician. I sometimes help out in his bar when I am there. He even gave me the wooden plates to serve it on. I get the pulpo at an Asian market by my house. The pressure cooker did a perfect job!

#30611 - 07/09/03 05:17 AM Re: Pulpo Gallega
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
Last week my brother visited me for 24 hours during his trip back 'home' from Japan.

I took him to the tapas bar in Holmfirth where we were able to have
  • Pulpo Gallega
  • Deep fried calamares
  • Pan fried squid and chorizo

I think the bloke serving us thought we were going for cephalopod overload, but we were happy wink

#30612 - 07/09/03 11:57 AM Re: Pulpo Gallega
mikey Offline

Loc: ny
I am a cooking noob. I have seen my gf's mom preparing the pulpo a la gallega in the house. I know she lets it sit in water, but apart from that I have no idea how to make it. Also, why would you put it in the pressure cooker? Sigh...help me. Does anyone know where I can get a 23-year-old-male-proof receipe for making it?

Miguel

#30613 - 07/09/03 09:41 PM Re: Pulpo Gallega
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Buy yourself a 2 pound octopus. When you get it home, start boiling 1 1/2 gallons of heavily salted water(1T per gal) in the largest pot you have. Add 6 or 8 bay leaves. Some people add the cork from a wine bottle, but I think it's only superstition.

In the meantime, rinse the octopus and check on the bottom for the beak. Remove it if necessary. Throw it in the sink 5 times HARD! to tenderize it. When the water boils, dip the it three times in the water, waiting a few seconds in between, then leave it. Finally, turn down the heat a bit and simmer it for 45 minutes, flipping it from time to time. Then, using a scissors, start checking pieces for tenderness. When you feel it is done, remove it, (it may take up to an hour) let it cool so you can handle it and cut it into bite size pieces with the scissors.

Serve it with plain steamed potatoes, pimenton, olive oil and coarse sea salt.

The easiest way to steam potatoes is to peel and cut them into 2" chunks and place in a microwave dish. Add about 1" of water and microwave on high for 8-10 minutes. If they aren't quite done, let 'em sit a few minutes.

I like a pressure cooker because it takes about half the time and is the best for tenderizing.

It only took me 2 years of cooking school and many visits to Spain to learn this wink .

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1563 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments