Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30591 - 07/05/03 11:52 AM Only have 1 day in Madrid
steddie_neddie Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I'll be arriving in Madrid at 3:00 from Cadiz, and flying out the next morning. I'd like to make the most out of my one day there. I'm hoping someone can tell me of some good places to go out, as well as a decent but inexpensive hostel where I might meet some fellow English speaking travellers to go out with.

#30592 - 07/05/03 12:21 PM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Hi steddie_neddie! Welcome to our little message board. Regarding lodging, you'll find LOTS of recommendations in the "Hostels & Other Lodgings" fora - you can even use the SEARCH feature located on all pages in the upper righthand corner and type HOSTEL MADRID as your keywords and you'll find LOADS of reviews and recommendations. Keep in mind that in Madrid, Cádiz, and Spain, hostels are called "hostales" in Spanish while youth-hostels are called "albergues juveniles".

What time do you arrive in Madrid? All I can suggest is to walk from your hostel through Plaza Mayor (and environs), Puerta del Sol (and environs), Royal Palace (and environs), and through Huertas definitely. This, to me, is the best part of Madrid.. just walking through the streets with the people who live there. You can stop at some of the smaller cafés for a coffee/beer/sandwich and even spend an hour or so at one of the museums like the Museo del Prado, for example.

You'll have a great time in Madrid and Cádiz city, I'm sure. If you have any questions about Cádiz city, feel free to ask here in this ALL SPAIN Message Board. We appreciate the diversity of the country and are not only about Madrid here. smile Enjoy!

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30593 - 07/05/03 10:34 PM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
steddie_neddie Offline

I believe I arrive in the city around 2:00 and am flying out around 11 the next day. I'll take your advice and try and see all of the places you listed as soon as I get there. I'm really looking forward to experiencing the night life in Madrid as well. I actually have one more question that you would probably be able to answer. I am flying into Paris, and then taking an overnight train to Madid Chamartin. The overnight will arrive at 8:58. I then have to catch a train at Madrid Atocha to go to Cadiz. That train leaves at 10:05, and looks to be the only one scheduled for the day. Do you think I will have enough time to get from one station to the next, and what is the best way to do this (I assume by Taxi). Thank you very much for all of your advice!

#30594 - 07/06/03 02:08 AM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
You are playing the trains VERY CLOSE! On a weekday a taxi could take more than an hour to make the trip. There are trains that make the trip from Chamartin to Atocha underground (cercanias). Check the renfe site web page and type in Charmartin and Atocha. It's a 13 minute trip.

I wouldn't count on the Paris train to be early.(I'm not much of a Renfe fan!)

#30595 - 07/07/03 01:03 AM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
steddie_neddie Offline

Is it easy to find your way around the train stations if you only speak a little Spanish?

#30596 - 07/07/03 06:14 AM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

if you have a map and look at the station signs you will have very rare problems getting your way about.you can also get these maps in the airport like i did.you can also get very keen madrid street maps with practically every block and street in madrid.

#30597 - 07/25/03 11:57 PM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
If I had only 1 day, I would go to "Museo del Jamon" and order one of everything on the menu. That would take all day. cool But then again, I have been there a few times.

(Tounge planted firmly in cheek)

#30598 - 07/26/03 05:57 AM Re: Only have 1 day in Madrid
Eddie Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Phila., PA, USA
steddie_neddie writes:
Quote:
I actually have one more question that you would probably be able to answer. I am flying into Paris, and then taking an overnight train to Madid Chamartin. The overnight will arrive at 8:58. I then have to catch a train at Madrid Atocha to go to Cadiz. That train leaves at 10:05, and looks to be the only one scheduled for the day. Do you think I will have enough time to get from one station to the next, and what is the best way to do this (I assume by Taxi). Thank you very much for all of your advice!
No Problem! If you miss the 10:05 you can catch another train Madrid-Sevilla and from Sevilla take the regional rail to Cadiz. It runs about hourly during the day and leaves from the same station (Santa Justa) as trains to/from Madrid. If you don't want to pay the more expensive (AVE) fare Madrid-Sevilla, you might have to wait several hours - I believe there's a Talgo in mid-afternoon http://www.renfe.es

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
esq, JOE DILLMAN
Who's Online
1 registered (ChrisS), 1629 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments