Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30571 - 07/02/03 04:15 PM croquetas
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Hey yall-

Anyone got a good recipe for croquetas in standard measurement? I tried to make some yesterday but it was rather disastrous.

Em

#30572 - 07/02/03 06:35 PM Re: croquetas
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hi Em,
I too love croquetas! Not too long ago, in the "I love Spanish Food " thread under the Food forum, member Pim shared with us this excellent recipe:

Quote:
“SUPER” CROQUETAS DE JAMON!
Ham croquettes

Ingredients:

Flour
Milk
Nutmeg
Butter
100 gr (4 oz) cured ham (jamón Serrano). This recipe is also good for croquetas de pollo, if instead, you use chicken leftovers. Sometimes, I combine the two, like my grandma used to do, and it really works!
Breadcrumbs
1 egg (optional)
Olive oil
Salt

In a saucepan, melt a couple of tablespoonfuls of butter and add 4-5 more of flour.
When this mix begins to brown, slowly add the milk, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon to prevent lumps from forming. Leave to cook slowly, adding milk from time to time. Add salt and a pinch of nutmeg for a perfect béchamel sauce, voila!. Dice the ham, sauté in a little olive oil (or you can avoid this if the dices are very small), and add to the pan. Continue stirring until the sauce is cooked.

Pour into a bowl and leave to cook for a few hours. Once cold, start taking portions of the mixture and use your hands to make “ovalish shaped balls”. Coat in breadcrumbs and fry in plenty of hot oil, or, if you prefer a little bit more consistent croquetas, dip in a beaten egg and then roll in breadcrumbs a second time.

I love the homemade kind both hot or made the previous day even.
I can just smell Pim's croquetas! smile

I have one for croquetas de pollo y jamón, but it is with American measurements, i.e. cup, teaspoon.
Will that help?

#30573 - 07/03/03 12:07 AM Re: croquetas
emilyka Offline

Loc: Pamplona
Thanks-

I think my mistake was to not let the bechamel "reposar" long enough. I made a lot and only let it sit for 3 or four hours. I will try this recipe, sounds good!

Em

#30574 - 07/04/03 01:09 AM Re: croquetas
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
If I recall from my chef school days (over 20 years ago, confused )that over-thick, cooled down bechamel is called panada. The Spanish use it a lot. It's also used to make "tigres" (Mejillones rellenos), one of my all-time favorites!

#30575 - 08/09/03 03:04 PM Re: croquetas
GuiaGuiri Offline

Loc: New England, USA/València, Esp...
Croquetas de bacalao (also called "deditos" by some) are killer, I have become addicted to them to the point that I brow-beated my local grocer stateside into selling me a case of salted cod which I keep in my freezer...

My recipe: (sorry about the measurements, I cook by feel)

- about 1/2 kilo of salted cod
- salt to taste if you are not using salted cod
- pepper to taste
- an onion
- a couple or more cloves of garlic
- about a cup or less of chopped parsley or cilantro left raw til final incorporation into mix
- two large potatoes
- a half cup of pine nuts (or not) likewise raw
- two eggs, beaten
- two tablespoons of soft butter (real butter please, it's only two tablespoons)
- about a cup of flour or so, in a shallow bowl, to roll the croqetas in before browning them
- olive oil for the deep fry phase

Chop onion and garlic; sauté same lightly to cook, but they need not brown, set aside.
If you are using salted cod, you can let it soak for eight hours first, changing water at least once or twice, and then put it into boiling water for it to cook through (it won't take long at all).
Boil the potatoes to cook through, drain and mash.
I use the bachelor method and dispense with the soaking ritual entirely, I just boil the cod and the potatoes together until the potatoes are done.
Drain the codfish well to remove as much water as possible and break it into small bits - checking thoroughly by hand to remove all bones carefully.
It is ok for the ingredients to cool during preparation (it is almost inevitable that they should), but it is a good idea to cover things until needed . If you are not going to finish the procedure all at once, then any portion at any stage should be covered and go directly into refrigerator until needed.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cod broken into small bits, the mashed potatoes, the lightly cooked onion and garlic, the raw chopped parsley and/or cilantro, the pine nuts, the pepper, the two beaten eggs, the soft butter, etc...
Mix very well.
Now is a great time to test for salt, add more if it is too bland. If you find it salty, that's ok since it is meant to be on the salty side, just be sure to have plenty of refreshing beverages ready later.
Prepare your deep frying device (it is certainly ok to simply use a frying pan). The oil should be hot, but not smoking, to minimize the time that the croquetes will spend in the pan (so that they will not absorb too much oil). Be careful not to burn yourself.
Take about enough of the mixture to form deftly into a finger sized ahape, you will get the knack of forming it without overhandling it after the first dozen or so, (lol). I use a tablespoon to scoop a portion, and hardly handle it at all - roll it in the flour forming it as you go, and set it on a dish. I find it is easiest to roll them all up first before frying, so that I can concentrate completely on the frying.
Fry the croquetes in the hot oil 'til they brown, do not crowd them in the oil.
Like Revenge, this is a dish best served cold.
The best place for croquetas in Valencia is "Tasca Corona 7", on calle Corona, in Barrio del Carmen near the market of Mosen Sorell.

#30576 - 08/09/03 03:59 PM Re: croquetas
GuiaGuiri Offline

Have you tried "ajo arriero"?

#30577 - 08/09/03 10:02 PM Re: croquetas
fmiketheman Offline

Loc: ny,ny
hey everybody

i haven't tried it,but i think its a leonese dish. am i right?

#30578 - 08/10/03 06:26 PM Re: croquetas
GuiaGuiri Offline

My information is that ajo arriero was "universal" in Spain, it was a dish that appeared regularly on the menu of posadas used by teamsters - arrieros - in the old days before diesel trucks and refrigeration...

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments