Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#30195 - 03/24/03 04:33 PM Re: Madrid/Málaga Restaurant with a Flamenco show?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Lest I unleash a storm of controversy (and flamenco is a subject which stirs it up), you need to understand the advice I gave in the previous post will not end up taking you to a "flamenco show," which us usually a great deal of stamping about, shouting and so forth. If you wish to pay 15 to 20&#8364; each and see such a spectacle, naturally you are welcome. It will have about as much to do with flamenco as a dude ranch does with a real cattle drive. The alternative I recommended will cost you nothing to enter, just the moderately overpriced drinks which are usual in bars, and maybe a little chipped into the hat passed around to help the performers. They are not paid. They come and perform because they are flamencos, it is their art, and they enjoy sharing it with like-minded people who know the flamenco and appreciate its nuances. You will probably not see much, if any, dancing, but if you do it just might be very, very good. You might or might not hear good flamenco. You will hear authentic flamenco, sung by Spanards and Gitanos, and if it is one of those special nights when the <<duende>> strikes, you will be a part of something you, and the others in the cafe, will never forget: the flamenco as it sometimes is, at its height. I guarantee you will NOT have much, if any, chance of this occuring at a "flamenco show!" Flamenco is much like Jazz, it relies upon improvization, inspiration and is an authentic outlet for the emotions of the performers. Take a chance. Hang out with the locals. Not many people even know about this place, especially since it moved from Cava Baja. This is something I choose to share with my friends at MadridMan.com.

A final note: Please, if you are not adept at the "compás" (rhythms) of flamenco, do not try to join in the "palmas" (rhythmic hand-clapping accompaniment). You will annoy the performers and probably be gently (or not so gently) asked to stop! Jaleo is an art in itself. Shouts of encouragement ("¡Olé!" etc.) ARE appropriate, and much appreciated. Now you will fit right in and not make a "tonto" of yourself!

¡Disfruta!

Martín de Madrid
President,
1st Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

#30196 - 03/24/03 05:22 PM Re: Madrid/Málaga Restaurant with a Flamenco show?
FredMaine Offline

Loc: Maine USA
Good point, Martin, about the difference between a flamenco show and authentic flamenco experience. The place you are thinking of in Madrid which used to be La Solea is called Monteleon. It is on C/Monteleon, 46. Phone number 914 45 64 87. I will be arriving in Madrid on Sunday, March 30. If I am not too exhausted after my overnight flight I would like to go to Monteleon Sunday night. Thanks again for emailing me your phone number. I may give you a call so that we can go together. -- Fred

#30197 - 03/24/03 05:46 PM Re: Madrid/Málaga Restaurant with a Flamenco show?
Martín de Madrid Offline

Loc: Colmenar Viejo, Madrid, España
Fred:

You beat me to the punch with Monteleon's information! Good going! If I can get my wife to promise not to accuse me of sneaking out with a señorita I will try to go with you whenever. Hopefully my friend José El Duende will be there. One word of caution: I think it will be closed on Sunday and Monday nights. La Soleá was, but I might be wrong about Sundays, I am not sure. Best to check by calling in advance.

MadridMan, how about getting a juerga together at Monteleon in Madrid with MM friends? How about it folks? If there is enough interest, and people would be interested in paying, say, $25 each or so, depending on what the expenses were and how many are in the group, I could see if some of my gypsy flamenco contacts might be able to get a private juerga (flamenco fiesta) together for us. Curro de Jerez is back in town, (after another Japan tour!), and he would be able to advise me. I have to get in touch with him this week anyway to give him a painting I made for him.

Martín de Madrid
President,
1st Class Pinups
"The Classical Alternative in Pinup Art"
http://www.1stclasspinups.com

#30198 - 03/24/03 08:31 PM Re: Madrid/Málaga Restaurant with a Flamenco show?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
Martín de Madrid wrote:
Quote:
MadridMan, how about getting a juerga together at Monteleon with MM friends?
COUNT ME IN!!!!! Thanks for the info and insight!!!!!!!! smile

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30199 - 03/26/03 06:36 PM Re: Madrid/Málaga Restaurant with a Flamenco show?
timandmaria2 Offline

Loc: Bakersfield, California
FredMaine and Martin de Madrid,

Your insight to Monteleon's is greatly appreciated and I look forward to a good show. My love and appreciation for music and dance are a key plus to me, and I would rather see an authentic show than watch flamenco dancers stomping around clapping their hands for tourists! My father plays guitar and I'm sure he would appreciate a good show as well. I can't wait to see Madrid for the first time!!!

In the month of September, do any of you know of any schedules events in Madrid?

Thanks

#30200 - 04/04/03 03:50 PM Re: Madrid/Málaga Restaurant with a Flamenco show?
dangrmous Offline

Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA
Casa Patas struck me a total ripoff... we got some soup and bailed out of there double-time...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
KiwiRach
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1602 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments