Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30100 - 02/09/03 07:19 PM Saffron
viequense Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
Just wondering if real saffron is cheap in Spain. I LOVE to use it in my cooking (especially arroz con pollo) but it is SO expensive here! If it is cheap where is the best place to buy it? In Bolivia I found it cheapest in the mercado on the street.

Thanks

Julia

#30101 - 02/09/03 07:48 PM Re: Saffron
arwederyet Offline

Loc: washington dc
Pure saffron (just the stigmas) are expensive, but you can get cheap (mix of other parts of the saffron flower) saffron at Indian (South Asian) groceries. The saffron you find at South American mercados are probably the same quality. They come in larger amounts than the fifty stigmas per $8.00 and you do have to use about a teaspoonfull to get the same strength. I use this to make paella and the quality does not suffer, as my friends often vouch.

Angelito

#30102 - 02/09/03 07:48 PM Re: Saffron
arwederyet Offline

Loc: washington dc
Pure saffron (just the stigmas) are expensive, but you can get cheap (mix of other parts of the saffron flower) saffron at Indian (South Asian) groceries. The saffron you find at South American mercados are probably the same quality. They come in larger amounts than the fifty stigmas per $8.00 and you do have to use about a teaspoonfull to get the same strength. I use this to make paella and the quality does not suffer, as my friends often vouch.

Angelito

#30103 - 02/09/03 07:50 PM Re: Saffron
espanglish Offline

Loc: USA, Boston area
I would try the ground floor supermarket of El Corte Ingles a major department store with many locations in Madrid. El Corte Ingles

Donna

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
No Birthdays
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2436 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments