Tour Madrid with MadridMan! BACK TO
MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Topic Options
#30058 - 01/30/03 10:55 AM Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
LindaB Offline

Loc: Shoreview, MN USA
Hi,
I have been making the Spanish Tortilla since I visited Spain in 2001. I now make them for breakfast or dinner or for a party appetizer.
I am hooked.
In a great cookbook called Culinaria Spain, there is a very good recipe for the Tortilla on page 304. On the facing page are several photographs of tortillas flavored with various additions, herbs, tuna, angulars, mariscos, mushrooms and the one variation that I have been making without the real chorizo, substituting salami, ham etc.
I would love to find the real Spanish Chorizo. I haven't had any luck here in Minneapolis.

The book itself is a beautiful trip through Spain. My copy, even though it weights 10 lbs is becoming dog-eared.

I am looking forward to going back to Spain. After once experiencing that wonderful place (and reading Don Quixote) it's hard to be patient.

Thanks for Any tips.
LindaB

#30059 - 01/30/03 12:35 PM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
MadridMan Offline

Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain (was Columbus, O...
eek Tienda.com (see banner above/below) carries REAL Spanish chorizo as does www.LaEspanolaMeats.com . I've ordered these through both and preferred the Tienda.com chorizo a bit more. Nowadays, they also sell (cheaper) "real Spanish chorizo" made in the USA using all Spanish (?) ingredients and in the Spanish way. The salchichon is good too as is the lomo.

Now I'm hungry and I JUST FINISHED lunch! (turkey ham on toast and carrots on the side)

Saludos, MadridMan

Curious about what could POSSIBLY be inside the brain of MadridMan? Visit MadridMan's Madrid Blog

#30060 - 01/30/03 03:40 PM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
Patricio Offline

#30061 - 01/30/03 05:47 PM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
Roe Offline

Loc: california
My sister bought some chorizo made in Spain from a gourmet food store. You might see if any in your local area has it, or just order from tienda.com.

#30062 - 02/11/03 10:19 AM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
espanglish Offline

Loc: USA, Boston area
We too have gotten wonderful food from tienda.com. It is also a good place to buy larger quantities of saffron at less than you will pay in a gourmet shop in the U.S. The owners of tienda.com are a former U.S. military chaplin and his family that lived in Rota, Spain for a number of years. They have the real chorizo or jamon serrano imported from Spain or for less money they have domestic knock-off chorizo that is very, very good. Their story is near and dear to our hearts as that is how we fell in love with Spain also--just not the chaplin part. wink

Donna

#30063 - 02/15/03 12:21 PM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
LindaB Offline

Thanks for the tip re Tienda...my chorizo arrived & it is sooo good! I also asked Tienda if they had a flat light-weight plate for flipping the tortilla; he was on his way to Spain & said he would look for one for me..what a nice man!

I also order the 3 pac of smoked paprikas. Now I need to find a name of a tapa we enjoyed while in Madrid. There was an area we visited often, many bars & restaurants, many of them serving a potatoe tapa, a potatoe chunk, served hot & spicy possibly called Patatas ________?

Thank you for any ideas.
LindaB

#30064 - 02/15/03 12:33 PM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
LindaB Offline

Oops...I did a search & found the recipe for the tapa...Patatas bravas. Now I'm on my way to the kitchen!

#30065 - 02/15/03 12:37 PM Re: Anywhere in US to buy (mailorder) Spanish chorizo?
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Folks, La Tienda is having their After Christmas Sale! Now is the time to stock up on La Casera, oil, chorizos, and all sorts of goodies! wink

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
dona_quijote
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1742 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments