MadridMan.com!
Sponsored Links

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#30013 - 01/19/03 10:34 AM Spanish Olive Oil
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
I have readen an interesting article (data provided by Asoliva, the association of olive oil producers of Spain) which shows interesting conclusions:

In 1992 spanish exportations to other countries where of 106,188 tons (46,818 of them bottled).

In 2002 they were increased to 225,416 tons (76,139 of them bottled).

The main buyers of bottled olive oil were Australia (12,672 tons), USA (10,111 tons) and France (7,331 tons), while the main importers of unbottled spanish olive oil were Italy (73,149 tons, 54% of the total unbottled exportations!), France (15,343 tons) and Portugal (12,129 tons).

Spain is the world's main producer with the 55% of the world production, while we have just 24% of total exportations when compared with the 56% of Italy.

The article concludes says that spanish companies have make a bet to increase bottled exportations and to make our olive oil more known, because (as it is known), Italy is importing spanish olive oil, mixing it with italian olive oil, and exporting it with its price increased, damaging our own exportations. Smart italians wink

There is another thing that has called my attention, and it is that the main spanish olive oil importers are Australia (incredible!!) and USA, both far countries. I previously thought that americans didn't used olive oil generally. It seems I was wrong smile

Fernando

#30014 - 01/20/03 01:16 AM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
Mongo Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
I am the Chef for 2 restaurants in Minneapolis and we proudly use Spanish olive oil.(Zoe brand)

It comes from having had the best salad of my life in a back alley restaurant in Sevilla. Lettuce, tomato, onion, vinegar, coarse sea salt and of course olive oil.

I'm convinced that the "Sol de Andalucia Embotellado" isn't Tio Pepe, but olive oil!

#30015 - 01/20/03 01:13 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Hey, Mongo--
Which restaurants? I live in the Twin Cities too...and would love to give another MadridMan fan some business!

Tara

#30016 - 01/20/03 03:20 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
Booklady Offline
Executive Member

Loc: U.S.A.
Hola Fernando,
Gracias por ese dato. Thank you for that fact. I believed I mentioned in a different thread that we iberoamericanos like to use olive oil. Actually Fernando, it is Americans of Spanish descent like myself that buy and demand that our grocery stores stock Spanish olive oil. Although,
I will also buy Italian as well, if the precio is better! laugh

I am not sure, how many other non Hispanic/Latino Americans buy olive oil, but if you look at the Hispanic magazines here in the USA, like the favorite among women, Vanidades, you will see a variety of Spanish olive oils being advertised. This advertising is marketed particularly to the Caribeños, Cuban and Puerto Rican Americans, whose food is more similar in preparation to Spanish food. Our basic sauce is based on olive oil, garlic, onion and tomato. When I cook I have to have olive oil, particularly when I do Spanish dishes, I always use olive oil when I make my tortillita (Española). I believe it is healthier for you, but that is an uninformed opinion laugh

Also, you ask why Australia imports so much olive oil? After iberoamerica, Australia has the largest conclave of Spanish immigrants in the world. In the 19th and 20th century Australia had an open door policy on immigration from Europe, hoping to colonize some of the empty spaces. Spaniards immigrated to Australia as early as the 19th century to seek a more prosperous life, and then after "la Guerra incivil", many political immigrants went there as well. These people were gutsy, because no Spanish is spoken there! laugh

If you wish to read more about it:
This web page talks about the Basques in Australia.
If you want to see a wonderful Australia...wonderful film! This film is about the flamenco and it introduces a Spanish Andalucian family. film worth watching if you like Flamenco.

#30017 - 01/20/03 04:35 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
Fernando Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Madrid, Spain
Thanks for the input Booklady! that answers some of my questions smile

As for olive oil being healthier it seems so. Everywhen a new scientific study is unveiled the conclusions seem the same: Olive oil is the healthiest oil for human consumption.

My family always uses olive oil to cook, no matter the dish we are making (including oriental and mexican recipes!).

Fernando

#30018 - 01/20/03 05:56 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
taravb Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Ames, Iowa, USA
Yes, Booklady--"Strictly Ballroom" is a brilliant film! Everyone should see it! I wonder if it's been released in Spain, and if it has, what it's called?

Regarding olive oil--we use olive oil for almost all of our cooking. I have some canola oil for baking, but use olive oil for everything else (except Asian stir-fries).

We also use it for bread (instead of butter), drizzling on tomatoes, basil, and fresh mozzarella, etc. Anything that needs to be browned also goes in olive oil (with perhaps a bit of butter, but not always). All of my salads also have olive oil--green salads and pasta salads as well.

I buy Spanish oil when I can, but Italian is easier to find in many stores.

I don't think my mother cooked with olive oil when I was growing up, but now it's an essential in both her kitchen and mine. I don't think my cooking habits are unusual among American people of my age--particularly people who care about healthy eating, read recipe magazines, etc.

#30019 - 01/20/03 06:43 PM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
Cooter Offline

Loc: Boston, MA USA
mmmm...Carbonel....mmmm....Ybarra...it's the taste of home for those of us of Spanish descent.

I was in Jaen in September. For breakfast I had this wonderful fresh bread with this very green, thick, potent, aromatic, delicious olive oil. It tasted so fresh and wonderful, I couldn't believe it.

Spain should export that stuff; it's like crack for gourmands.

#30020 - 01/21/03 09:28 AM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
miche_dup1 Offline

Despite what is believed or said, there is a perfect import/export relationship between Spain and Italy with regards to the olive oil industry.

As of yet, the Spanish have no choice but to buy the machinery/technology necessary to produce Extra Virgin Olive Oil from the Italians. The machinery is mainly produced in the Puglia region of Italy, Puglia being the largest producer of extra virgin in Italy. The business relationship is such that the Spanish need Italian machinery and the Italians need Spanish oil. And the Spanish producers are more than eager to sell.

To buy real 100% pure Italian extra virgin oil is not a cheap option.

The market demands Extra virgin olive oil at an inexpensive price for which the Italians, being supreme blenders, seems to have a knack for in providing such oils, but never claim the mixed blend as being 100% Italian! (If it says 100% Italian, it will be 100% pure Italian). The Spanish/Italian blends are such that after export and marketing costs the price is still affordable and high quality. It's just good business sense. Also, due to demand, the mixed blend gives a suttler taste which is also why Italian exporters do well. I think the problem the Spanish may have in exporting bottled oils is that the abundance of extra virgin olive oil from Andalucia is almost too strong and can override the food itself you are dressing.
As for my kitchen, I have an exquisite array of the best of Andalucian extra virgin olive oils, (stuff not found in supermarkets wink ) and Italian Extra Virgin olive oils to pick and choose to my heart's content and taste buds desire.
But the Italian extra virgin wins, but i may be biased laugh

#30021 - 01/21/03 09:36 AM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
Miguelito Offline

Strictly Ballroom was called 'El amor está en el aire'. It only had 68.114 watchers in year 1993.

http://www.mcu.es/cgi-bin/BRSCGI3701?CMD...+/+BAZ+LUHRMANN

#30022 - 01/21/03 09:55 AM Re: Spanish Olive Oil
Jo-Anne Offline
Executive Member

Loc: Holmfirth, West Yorkshire, Eng...
I wondered when your input would arrive miche. That's really interesting. I just love olive oil.

It's amazing, when one is ignorant to the facts regarding the manufacturing/exporting of such things, how you just go in to the supermarket and buy it without a second thought. Or at least that's me.

That Andalucian olive oil is not too strong for me - the stronger the better, specially on tomatoes smile Mind you if you are wearing it rather than eating it, it's a bit much hey?

By the way, olive oil/hair loss? Any benefits there?

I too loved Strictly Ballroom. I want that thing to happen to me - you know, you start off all spotty and frumpy and end up meeting someone who makes your dancing fabby and makes you look good too.

Miguel - is that what happened to you?

I will resist the photo this time rolleyes

Jo

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MadridMan 
Welcome to the ALL SPAIN Message Board!
MadridMan's Live WebCam
Shout Box

Newest Members
LauraG, KoolKoala, bookport, Jake S, robertsg
7780 Registered Users
Today's Birthdays
Tomas La Vigne
Who's Online
0 registered (), 1800 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
MadridMan.com Base Menu

Other Martin Media Websites: BarcelonaMan.com MadridMan.com Puerta del Sol Plaza Santa Ana Madrid Tours Madrid Apartments